New member with fx-16

gottolovem
Club4AG Regular

New member with fx-16

Postby gottolovem » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Hello to all I'm a transplant from the tercel4wd forum and was hoping to get some more accurate information here at club4age.I just picked up what i think is a sweet 1987 fx-16 gts.
Thought i would get some opinions on the shape of the car and if i got a good deal? $2,500 with extra set of rims,new tires ,clutch slave cylinder and timing belt done in the last 6 months.
The car has a little over 200 thousand on it and is bone stock I think? Was flat towed by an older guy behind an RV most of its life so the motor is a lot younger.
The interior is no less than perfect the only problem that i can find with the car so far is a small dent on front drivers headlight that broke the side marker light and headlight "bucket" assembly (ANYONE HAVE AN EXTRA) here are some photos i don't think there are to many survivors left anymore does this one qualify.

Oh yea has anyone had problems with there fuel gauge floating all over the place?

Ataki

Re: New member with fx-16

Postby Ataki » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:34 pm

Welcome! I'm somewhat new here myself, and I also have an FX.. Though I have the 8v version. The car looks very clean, congrats. Parts for these cars can be difficult, the FX series had lots of differences from other corollas. My gauge does the exact same thing, I haven't really dug into it to find the problem.

gottolovem
Club4AG Regular

Postby gottolovem » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks for the comments Ataki
I need someone on here that can send a pm to sirdeuce. He sent me one but i'm to new to respond to it.
Thanks

Toybrota
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toybrota » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Welcome! I'm rather new myself! and congrats on the fx, this was my first car and it was a hand me down. I still have it but I blew the motor and now it's sitting in a field :c.
They are awesome little cars so you should enjoy it :D Cosmetically the car looks great, interior is awesome. Mechanically speaking it's hard to say because of it's age and milage
But nice find hope you enjoy it as I enjoyed mine!

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Damn, that looks nice. I kind of wanted to get one of these, but decided I want an AW11 someday instead. FX is more practical though.

Is that a Tercel wagon in the background?
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

gottolovem
Club4AG Regular

Postby gottolovem » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:37 pm

Is that a Tercel wagon in the background?[/quote]

Yes that is a tercel wagon I buy fix and resell the them they are the little cars that can.
I have 5 right now and mountians of parts for the t4 wagons.
It's a great feeling To pull a big bad jeep out of a ditch or crawl to the top of a hill there stuck :mrgreen:
If you like the tercel wagons check out tercel4wd.com (shamless plug)

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Haha :D The guys living around snow say the same thing about the Corolla All-Trac (CAT). I've only driven mine in sugar sand, which my CAT ate up like it was nothing. Almost don't even need to engage the diff lock. Glad to see that you're keeping T4s alive. I've only seen one in person that I remember, but unfortunately it was a junkyard resident. I think I have an account on the T4 forum, but I mainly post at the CAT wagon forum. You probably recognized my avatar -->
I have a T4 inclinometer on my dash right now, using a 4Runner housing & bracket. All green LEDs in my CAT's dash to 'honor' the T4s that had green dash bulbs. I got the idea from one of the guys on the CAT forum.

'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

jrae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrae82 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Welcome
Nice to meet another fx owner. Feel free to shoot any questions. More than glad to help you out.
In regards to the fuel gauge being all over the place it's gonna be the fuel sending unit.

gottolovem
Club4AG Regular

Postby gottolovem » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:20 pm

You probably recognized my avatar
I do recognize your avatar from the tercel forum Rogue AE95

jrae82 wrote:Welcome
Nice to meet another fx owner. Feel free to shoot any questions. More than glad to help you out.
In regards to the fuel gauge being all over the place it's gonna be the fuel sending unit.

I kinda figured it was the sending unit tercels are funny that way to must be a toyota thing!
I do have one question today i was putting new speakers in the dash and noticed on the passenger side behind the glove box there was a large plug that was not plugged in probably half a dozen wires going to it?
Is this plug supposed to plug into something?
What is it ?everything works on the car except for the funky gas guage?
I orderd a fsm for the car maby it will help
Is the computer over by the glove box?
Thanks for the responces 8-)

jrae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrae82 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:11 am

If my memory serves me right computer should be under the center dash piece. You know the piece in which u can put stuff in and is right under the radio console.

On the plug I'm going to have to check mines to see what it is connected too

gottolovem
Club4AG Regular

Postby gottolovem » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:45 am

When i got the factory manual and looked at the wiring diagram i believe i have narrowed it down to electric windows and electric locks. Witch my car did not come with so the plug is just there.
Thanks for the response on where the computer is :D

andrewl

Postby andrewl » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:13 pm

we got 2 of those at our place. the wife put her foot down and I cant get more. my fuel gauge is funny until the last quarter. I use the trip meter ,zero out at fill ups..check ur oil at least 2 time a week. the 4age has no pcv . I was pushing 400k on a stock motor then somebody drove her dry. nice car .

gottolovem
Club4AG Regular

Postby gottolovem » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Thank's andrewl
Did you send the dead fx to the crusher or do you still have it?
I think i can squeeze Half a million out of mine most of the current miles are from a flat tow behind a motorhome so the motor is quite young still. It runs and drives like a new car.
The only part it is missing is the rear cargo cover.

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby taroroot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Welcome! I'm on my 4th FX16, down to one and one parts bin. Sold my daily for a pittance but its getting good use so I'm happy. Here is the one I have left:
Oops, tried linking directly to the image but its big, I'll take that out and put a link to the page that links it.
http://www.forumshawaii.com/community/threads/pre-reg-is-open-for-rallycross-on-feb-15-2014-at-kalaeloa-raceway-park.63650/page-2
Yeah, the gas guage are famous to get wonky on Corollas of this vintage. Its the sender. You can try to clean them, I never bothered.
Wow, your spoilerette isn't cracked? Amazing!

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:10 pm

WOW DUDE!

That is an awesome looking little FX16!
I am very jealous!

....you can tell I have a fetish for 4AGE powered cars.
Welcome to Club4AG!

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby taroroot » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Yeah, they're great cars. Rust is the bane of these little devils. Aside from that, they seem like they'll keep going forever! They do start seeing issues with electrical like the AFM and various sensors. Leaky distributors, popping 4-5th gears, leaky headgasket in corner. You would too after this many years and miles!

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 pm

OP I'll give you four for it.

And a macbook pro.

andrewl

Postby andrewl » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:34 am

gottolovem wrote:Thank's andrewl
Did you send the dead fx to the crusher or do you still have it?
I think i can squeeze Half a million out of mine most of the current miles are from a flat tow behind a motorhome so the motor is quite young still. It runs and drives like a new car.
The only part it is missing is the rear cargo cover.

we swap motors. we never give up our rides.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:10 pm

[quote][/quotewe swap motors. we never give up our rides.]

Amen brutha
One shot, one kill.

Ether
Club4AG Regular

Postby Ether » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Wow great find this fx is mint that engine bay looks like u can eat off it. I have a 87 fx-gts have big plans for mine just putting the puzzle together