20v Aftermarket ECU Recommendations

SqueakyP

20v Aftermarket ECU Recommendations

Postby SqueakyP » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:20 pm

I was wondering what people recommend as far as aftermarket ecus go, for 20 valve 4AGEs. I was looking into the megasquirt, but the assembly required wasn't really something I was interested in doing, and their plug n play versions don't support the 20v. (As far as I can tell)

I attempted to use the AEM EMS-4, but just ran into a bunch of issues due to the signal limitations on the cam/crank sensors. So pretty much what I'm looking for is something that can use the stock sensors (I will be using map and a wideband), and is already assembled. I am okay with having to do rewiring on the harness.

Thanks,
SqueakyP

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Re: 20v Aftermarket ECU Recommendations

Postby jdm86gtz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:13 pm

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-549.html

I have one of these in my AE111, it plugs straight in and starts up and runs but needs a tune as it's for a 3S-GTE.
Only required mods are to wire in a GM Inlet Air Temperature sensor and run a vacuum hose from the inlet manifold to the ecu.
Just tell them it's for a 20V and they will have an internal jumper set for VVT control.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:05 am

If you still have the AEM might it be better to address the signal issue ?
Generally you omit the OEM distributor and run a Hall sensor from a trigger wheel on the crank pulley, pretty standard stuff on most stand alones as you know.
I'm almost certain that the AEM only needs both cam and crank signals if you need to run sequential so a 36-1 trigger wheel should be ok on its own (please check this with AEM)
I have been experimenting with an AEM series 1 on a MAP 4age, my particular ecu was a plug and play unit for a Mitsubishi Evo VIII and it would run ok with the VR signals from the 4age distributor, interestingly the polarity of the VR signal could be reversed in this ecu. For some reason the AEM universal ecu cannot do this and that will be the root of your problem I guess.

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:09 am

They're some aftermarket p&p ECU available for the 20V, like JAMS, TOMS, BLITZ, etc but they're pretty rare and you'll never know for which setup they're actually been chipped/written.

Also the Emanage blue seems to work very well with the 20V, but this is a piggyback. Other piggybacks seems not to work really well with the 20v while the ECU is so smart it'll discovere the piggyback and adapt the setting.
Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

SqueakyP

Postby SqueakyP » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:53 am

Thanks for the information so far. From what I gathered it seems like Megasquirt, and Haltech are used the most.

jdm86gtz > I'm probably going to give them a call and see what can be done. I was looking into getting one of their pnp units before, since some of them do plug right in, but they said that they wouldn't work. Not sure if they said that because it needs to be tuned, or because of some other reasoning. Either way I'm going to check again and see what I can find out. Also, do you know if this ecu has any issues with signal noise from the crank/cam sensors?

totta crolla > Unless the AEM has some major benefits, I'm not sure that I'm interested in the EMS-4 anymore. Honestly I'm planning on selling it. The amount of issues I've had getting the car prepped for it, and the future work and modifications I'd have to do to accommodate it don't really have me hooked. If I can keep my stock sensors, except for the air temp, map and wideband I'll be using, I'd like to go for that.

Evo_lucian
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Evo_lucian » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:50 pm

If you already have the EMS 4 then use it, we have had great success with in locally on 4agte and 3sgte motors. Toyota distributors just don't seem to play well with the EMS 4 so in all applications a trigger wheel and hall sensor was used

midwest86

Postby midwest86 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:10 am

It takes 2 hours to assemble a DIYPNP Megasquirt kit. It costs half of what the next comparable ECU costs. What's not to like?

The write ups and massive number of people that have done the Megasquirt mean a TON of knowledge out there if you have problems. Take the time to assemble and learn MS and never look back.
club4ag ate my bluekouki86 username

lbug7575

Postby lbug7575 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:11 am

Generally you omit the OEM distributor and run a Hall sensor from a trigger wheel on the crank pulley, pretty standard stuff on most stand alones as you know.