Black Top low idle issue

bigbacon
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Black Top low idle issue

Postby bigbacon » Wed May 18, 2016 4:59 pm

yea so bumpage.......

Car is working now...After a long wait, some misunderstandings when I dropped it off and what not, she is alive and well. Drove it home over the weekend from the guy that was recommended to me by other MR2 owners.

Crank gear was off, it was fixed. It threw him for a loop as well at first. All good now and isn't set up some weird ass way which neither of us understood. head gasket was also leaking even though we were getting good compression across the board. So that was replaced and no more oil wet spark plugs. Bunch of other seals and what not were replaced along with installing new window regulators.

I need to replace the oil cooler lines or just not use it at all. the lines I have are kind of toast and leak every so slightly no matter what he tried but it wasn't enough to stop it from working and I can replace them myself at some point.

3 hour drive home was fine and I do now know that my T-Top on the drivers side leaks where the apillar + t-top + window meet. Sucks...but I don't plan to drive it in the rain again. If anyone happens to have a mint set of TTOPs for an MK1 MR2 let me know.

and is SV3Power happens to read this. Guy didn't know you existed and he found your exhaust to be extremely good quality and sound really good. He was quite amazed with it and you may end up with a new customer as he still has some other MK1s of his to finish up that need exhaust parts..

Sadly I won't even get around to driving it again until some time in June it needs an inspection as well but I'm pretty much not around from now until second week in June.

I still have a list of other things to complete on the car but they are minor and/or just things that annoy the crap out of me.

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:02 am

Why dont you just change all the spark plug... You mention the cyl 4 plug is all dark black while the other 3 are not.... Maybe while you were fighting to get the BT to start up for the first time the plug got too much carbon built up to give a healthy spark.... Some like you just running on 3 cyl... Yes your damn engine will still strt hp and run... But like sh*t
And yes you can rev it up ass well while you are in neutral but one you put load on it(moving/driving or bqcking out of your garage? ) it will want to die and actually die if you dont keep the rpm up...

bigbacon
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby bigbacon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:27 pm

You didn't read through anything but the first post or so did you?

it runs now, it drives fine other than the fact it pretty much magically loses lots of oil.

Nothing on the outside, nothing but a single drip on my garage floor after driving it, no trail behind me, no smoke anywhere it just goes away it seems. been under the car with it on and see nothing. its crazy. not burning it, plugs are perfect. Quite strange.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:40 pm

bigbacon wrote:... it drives fine other than the fact it pretty much magically loses lots of oil.

I have heard it several times, that 20V engines use a lot of oil if running
thin oils like 0W-20 or 5W-30. Problem goes away with a switch to 10W-40,
15W40 or similar slightly thicker grade. Here is a typical post from way
back on club4AG...
I live in Socal and have had my motor in for about 3 years. I started with
5-30W oil and had consumption issues. I switched to 20-50W oil and that
has pretty much cured this issue. I'm running with a stock blacktop.

Where the oil goes is a bit of a mystery, but I would guess that it just burns
but not fast enough that it shows smoke out the back. Synthetic oils are quite
good at burning without making smoke.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

bigbacon
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby bigbacon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:46 am

I did just switch to 20w50 but haven't driven it around very much to see what happens. the 20w50 definitely made the top end quite down a lot. used to sound like an old typewriter.