I think I broke my AE86

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

I think I broke my AE86

Postby Swooki » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Hello so I have a 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS.

I am new to the car scene and I was swapping out the green coolant for the red one when i remembered my friend suggested that I should put the water hose down from the top hose and water come out the bottom hose... But I realized that wouldn't that crack the block if the engine was hot... I did it like 3 times........

1) My car is not overheating but i see more white smoke coming out? (Smells like gasish and just exhaust) didnt really smell anything sweet. (Cars been warm already so many times and even when i took the video. Why is there still white smoke coming out? and when I rev it, more smokes comes out.
Link: https://youtu.be/JKlZh_d-1zI

2) I checked oil cap and i saw a little milky things (cars been warmed up so many times prior for flushing) so I cleaned it off and I put it back. After driving for 20minutes I checked again and there was nothing(good sign?)

3) dipstick for oil is fine too. It looks clean. Just changed oil yesterday.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: I think I broke my AE86

Postby davew7 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 am

Yupper the old head gasket trick!!!
I would not drive it until it fixed. There a good chance that you can screw up the head sealing surfaces. Buy an OEM or a good after market head gasket such as a Fel-Pro. Do not cheap out on a head gasket. The rest of the gaskets in a kit should not really matter. You might also want to look at a new timing belt [check condition before ordering parts] while you at it. If this is your first time removing the head, put paint marks on your cam pulleys, crank and belt after setting the engine to TDC on number 1 cylinder. Dave W7

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:52 am

First do a compression test to verify that it is the head gasket before you start taking things apart... For a bad head gasket you will see the PSI on the cylinders be something like the following

Cy1: 170psi
Cy2: 140psi
Cy3: 80psi
Cy4: 140psi

On a good head gasket it would look like this:

Cy1: 170psi
Cy2: 170psi
Cy3: 170psi
Cy4: 170psi

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:46 am

What if it is not the head gasket and compression is good?
The car doesn’t overheat btw

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:00 am

If the car is not overheating, compression test is good, and it is still smoking. Then there is something else wrong. It could be many things (worn out piston rings, old valve seals, etc). I can speculate all day about it but I would perform a compression test first before moving further.

If it looks good, then provide us with some more information (sounds, smells, mileage, leaks, whatever).

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:47 am

what color is the smoke? if it is black or dark it is burning fuel (similar to a diesel) this pribably isnt your issue tho. if it is white it is coolant/water if it is white with a blueish color it is oil. iv never really been able to smell the sweet smell but color is a good indication. also check your plugs for fouling or if they look steam cleaned.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:04 am

Jeonsah wrote:If the car is not overheating, compression test is good, and it is still smoking. Then there is something else wrong. It could be many things (worn out piston rings, old valve seals, etc). I can speculate all day about it but I would perform a compression test first before moving further.

If it looks good, then provide us with some more information (sounds, smells, mileage, leaks, whatever).

Hello, Yes, Car is not overheating but is still smoking. Whiteish smoke and earlier little gray and whiteish smoke. Smoking abnormally. Not crazy but more than usual that it is not normal. But could I mess it up like the rings by putting cold water into a hot engine when i did the flush?

Sounds: Sounds normal, but when i started earlier like 10 mins ago after compression test my friend said it sounded flooded but i started again and it sounded back to normal.
Smell: Smells like gas from the exhaust.
Mileage: 185k
Leaks: None
Compression:
1: 150
2: 150
3: 149
3: 149

ga_goosh wrote:what color is the smoke? if it is black or dark it is burning fuel (similar to a diesel) this pribably isnt your issue tho. if it is white it is coolant/water if it is white with a blueish color it is oil. iv never really been able to smell the sweet smell but color is a good indication. also check your plugs for fouling or if they look steam cleaned.

Honestly It looked white with like gray and a super non existent hint of blue... Mostly white and little gray. I have linked a picture of my plugs below. Looks exact.

http://puu.sh/yKXZj/11773a1c77.jpg (P.S. I looked at my spark plugs too and it looks like the one in the link <---. My exhaust smells like gas and it is smoking white but earlier today it seemed like it was kind of gray and whiteish. Running rich? But still don't know why it is smoking abnormally.)

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:32 am

"2) I checked oil cap and i saw a little milky things "
Swooki
This is a tell tale indicator that you have water in the oil, i.e. head gasket, or worst a cracked head or block.
If you want to comfirm the problem before breaking into the engine, take it to a shop and have them do a leak down test.
Dave W

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:23 am

davew7 wrote:"2) I checked oil cap and i saw a little milky things "
Swooki
This is a tell tale indicator that you have water in the oil, i.e. head gasket, or worst a cracked head or block.
If you want to comfirm the problem before breaking into the engine, take it to a shop and have them do a leak down test.
Dave W

But then it disappeared after. It was like a white substance it was almost non existent. I checked the dipstick and the oil was normal.

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Responding to everyone here helping.
Just drove my car and tried to go to 6k RPM and it felt fine. Barely any loss of power noticed. No overheat. I got out the car when i got home and there was no smoke. After like 3mins I checked the oil cap and i noticed this.. Is this normal?
What should i do?
https://ibb.co/gm2ON6
https://ibb.co/jmzg9m

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:42 am

It sounds like you got water in the engine some way but it appears that you have dodge the bullet. I would just keep an eye on the oil and also the coolant level. Put a mark on the coolant over flow bottel at it's current level. This will make it easy to tell the level is changing. DaveW7

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:23 pm

davew7 wrote:It sounds like you got water in the engine some way but it appears that you have dodge the bullet. I would just keep an eye on the oil and also the coolant level. Put a mark on the coolant over flow bottel at it's current level. This will make it easy to tell the level is changing. DaveW7

Should I change the oil again then?

What am I looking for in the oil? Milkyness?

And anything else I should look for or do?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:17 pm

The 'milky things' under oil cap was prob just condensation from moisture in the crankcase. Not uncommon to see in cool weather. (You also may see it in the valve cover breather.) When the engine reached temp it returned to the sump.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Yes... tend to agree that you are over-thinking this matter. If your oil is not showing any signs
of emulisified water (milkshake) under the cap; the cooling system is not losing water, making
steam or showing caramel foam under the oil filler, and running like normal; then most likely
it is fine. Compression test comes back good also.

Water is a by-product of the combustion process, and some water vapor will find itself into the
crankcase with normal blowby. That water will come out the breather once the engine gets nice
and hot from a decent run. But make a lot of short trips when the engine never gets properly
warmed up, and you will get sludge forming. Worse in winter as pointed out above. Best thing
you can do is make sure it gets a good run every week :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:The 'milky things' under oil cap was prob just condensation from moisture in the crankcase. Not uncommon to see in cool weather. (You also may see it in the valve cover breather.) When the engine reached temp it returned to the sump.

Hmmm... So I dodged a bullet?

jondee86 wrote:Yes... tend to agree that you are over-thinking this matter. If your oil is not showing any signs
of emulisified water (milkshake) under the cap; the cooling system is not losing water, making
steam or showing caramel foam under the oil filler, and running like normal; then most likely
it is fine. Compression test comes back good also.

Water is a by-product of the combustion process, and some water vapor will find itself into the
crankcase with normal blowby. That water will come out the breather once the engine gets nice
and hot from a decent run. But make a lot of short trips when the engine never gets properly
warmed up, and you will get sludge forming. Worse in winter as pointed out above. Best thing
you can do is make sure it gets a good run every week :)

Cheers... jondee86

Well the only thing it is showing is the two pictures i posted on this and that's all. The dipstick looks golden since i just changed the oil. So I should get the engine warmed up really good and get a nice run today. I don't need to change oil or nothing and for now just drive the car with the smoke? maybe it'll burn all off?

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Swooki wrote:The dipstick looks golden since i just changed the oil. So I should get the engine warmed
up really good and get a nice run today. I don't need to change oil or nothing and for now
just drive the car with the smoke? maybe it'll burn all off?

Yes... just drive it and give it some work to do :) Then when it has cooled down a bit, check
the oil for water and the water for oil. Remember that there is always a little bit of water
vapor coming out the exhaust. It warm weather you don't see it because it just dissipates
into the air. But in winter the vapor condenses when it hits the cold air and turns into steam.
Steam can look a bit like grey smoke coming out the tailpipe.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.