draw through turbo 4age!

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

draw through turbo 4age!

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:31 am

so this year I am going to run draw through turbo fir my drift ae86 running the 16v 4age motor. so the motor is all put together. I have the intake side figured out. I know the turbo kit that im running. and im using one of the carbs that I already have because I have been running side draft webers no point in buying another carb if ive got a couple haha! now the carb is a dcoe 40 weber. little small for a draw through set up but again... its what ive got! so the main thing I want to make sure is just the fuel side of things. don't mind running a little rich to keep things safe but nobody wants to run lean in the middle of a slide and start melting things! im only foing to be running 8 pounds of boost. any thoughts on this? and please I don't wana hear that efi is better. sourcing all the efi parts would cost too much for me and this is going to be a dedicated track car not a daily, so I only car how it drives at full throttle. just wana get my ducks in a row because drift season is coming up. :D

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: draw through turbo 4age!

Postby aukword1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:42 am

Well first thing I would do would be to get an AFR gauge. Then from there you can see what your fuel requirements would be then tune the carb from there. Since you are not running efi I'd imagine you'd have to run the carbs rich. The problem would be when the turbo kicks in it would probably lean out. It is possible but EFI would be a much better route to keep your engine healthy.

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:10 am

aukword1 wrote:Well first thing I would do would be to get an AFR gauge. Then from there you can see what your fuel requirements would be then tune the carb from there. Since you are not running efi I'd imagine you'd have to run the carbs rich. The problem would be when the turbo kicks in it would probably lean out. It is possible but EFI would be a much better route to keep your engine healthy.

I mean ive seen the old air cooled vw guys run draw through with weber dcoe carb a lot so that's where I got the idea from. I gues threy just run a boost reference FPR to make sure it doesn't run the bowl dry but year def a wide band o2 sensor would help

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:50 am

the FPR makes sense if you hook it up to the manifold and can have it send more fuel to the carb under boost. Then you wouldn't need EFI and would just have to manually tune the carb and FPR. Here is a nice write up on how the boost reference FPR works. http://fuelab.com/11-boost-reference-fu ... egulators/ Seems like you definitely need that as well.

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 am

aukword1 wrote:the FPR makes sense if you hook it up to the manifold and can have it send more fuel to the carb under boost. Then you wouldn't need EFI and would just have to manually tune the carb and FPR. Here is a nice write up on how the boost reference FPR works. http://fuelab.com/11-boost-reference-fu ... egulators/ Seems like you definitely need that as well.

yea I mean if you dig into draw through turbo set ups they are STUPID easy to set up and you don't need things like intercoolers and what not. and just simpler than blow through from what ive been reading and just loking at pictures of the vw bug guys running them it doesn't look too crazy

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 am

Definitely do it then and document your findings. I'm sure a lot of people on this board would be interested in your progress with this build.

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:19 am

aukword1 wrote:Definitely do it then and document your findings. I'm sure a lot of people on this board would be interested in your progress with this build.

I deffinatey will. ive built this motor a few times, each time was a different version. the only constant was it always had the twin carbs on it. so now im gonna get a little weird haha! we will see if we get an exploded ring or not hahah

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:48 pm

u still have to fab manifolds?
if unwilling to restore injection, u probably better off selling the 4AGE & carbs and picking up a cheap 4AC (or 3)
they seem to like drawthru turbos, and will kill any run of the mill non boosted 4AGE
u can still find info on a few builds online
1st build I saw years ago, would lay rubber 3rd gear on dry road. 14 sec 1/4s iirc. Unopened 4AC block & head
another one here (tiny turbo tho): http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum ... -turbo-kit!

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:59 am

If you want to build the carb for extreme use look into "dry sump" mods. I've done this on some VW engines and my carby crawler. Great mod for extreme angles and off road bouncing around. It eliminates the float and needle valve and involves a return pump, fuel cell foam and baffling. Best place to find any info would be in "80s back issues of 'Hot VWs' rags.
One shot, one kill.

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:18 am

so I have most of the turbo and carb stuff installed and almost ready to go! BUTTTTT everytime I try to take a pic of the setup for you guys it says picture too large! how the F***K do I put pics on here for you guys to see this monster hahaha but look me up on instagram in the mean time I have pics of it up there ;) @garage_86_

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:36 am

It looks pretty interesting. Can't wait to hear what it will sound like. BTW you can use this website to host images on this forum. https://postimg.org There are plenty of websites ppl use just wouldnt recommend using photobucket cause they're assholes.

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:52 am

aukword1 wrote:It looks pretty interesting. Can't wait to hear what it will sound like. BTW you can use this website to host images on this forum. https://postimg.org There are plenty of websites ppl use just wouldnt recommend using photobucket cause they're assholes.

yea it deff looks different hahaha yea ill try using that now so I can put some pics up thanks man! ;)

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:31 pm

sorry for the small pictures but this forum doesn't want me to post them I guess hahaha but here is the progress so far. the turbo is mounted along with the dcoe weber carb ;)
Attachments
turbo 2.jpg
turbo 2.jpg (4.51 KiB) Viewed 11104 times
turbo 1.jpg
turbo 1.jpg (5.02 KiB) Viewed 11104 times

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 pm

so whats up guys! the turbo kit is pretty much done! got all the piping and oil lines ran and the motor is ready to drop in this weekend! I tried posting pics of how the motor is looking currently but the website was giving me issues again haha so ill see If I can get some pics on here this weekend when the motor is plopped in the old 86 ;) and hopefully this crazy experiment actually works!

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby scalpel » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:39 pm

photbucket or smth of that sort :)