Tip: DON'T Low Pressure glas media blast pistons!!!

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Tip: DON'T Low Pressure glas media blast pistons!!!

Postby onnaj » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Today a friend of mine cleaned up my pistons with low pressure (about 40-50 psi max) glas media blast after i cleaned them first with carb /brake cleaner. The result is just awesome. Look how dirty they were at first and how they look now.

First:

After cleaning:

They really look brandnew!

Yes they look and brandnew and don't have damaging but the glass will be in the pistons and will come out when the engine is warming up. This will probably kill your bearings, pistons, block, etc.

So don't do this!! I had to order new pistons, costed me around $375 :( :( :(
Last edited by onnaj on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Re: Tip: Low Pressure glas media blast pistons

Postby onnaj » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:57 am

I'm also curious what you think about glas blasting and what your experiences are.
Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:32 am

just used to clean parts nothing special about it...i always use it to strip parts of paint or gunk before repainting..
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:43 am

If looking good were all that mattered, Grandma could do a great job.
It's what's the pin bore & lands look like that's important.

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Re: Tip: DON'T Low Pressure glas media blast pistons!!!

Postby onnaj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am

I've changed the topic!!

Glass blasting is a bad idea. The glass pieces will remain in the pistons and will come out when the engine and oil gets hot. This can cause serious damage to either your pistons, block, bearing, etc.

I've ended up with buying new pistons. Don't want to risk having the engine rebuilt and do it all over again.

Better is to soak them with mr muscle or any furnace cleaner and let them in for a min or 15 and then use your wifes toothbrush :) to clean the pistons. (You might also use an old toothbrush to avoid an angry wife / girlfriend :ugeek:) Or buy her a new one, that's lot cheaper then having to order the pistons! :)

To clean the ring lands just break the ring that comes out and clean it with that.

So: Don't, don't, really don't use glass media blast. They say blast with walnut shells shouldn't be a problem, but i don't have experience doing that.

dr.occa
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby dr.occa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Soda blasting for me. It's how I clean carbs and what not.

DIY Soda Blasting

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Yes soda blasting seems to be fine also!

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:43 pm

dr.occa wrote:Soda blasting for me. It's how I clean carbs and what not.

DIY Soda Blasting

That DIY soda blasting cabinet is a clever idea!
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Yeah, people talk about sand blasting their valve covers and I'm just like :o

I've used aircraft stripper with great success, but that stuff is toxic. Must use gloves, long sleeves, respirator / dust mask, and safety glass or a faceshield. I also use a box fan to blow fresh air toward me and the piece getting stripped.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:30 pm

onnaj wrote:To clean the ring lands just break the ring that comes out and clean it with that.

If you can do that without scoring scraping scratching nicking or gouging the lands, you're better then me.

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:53 pm

allencr wrote:
onnaj wrote:To clean the ring lands just break the ring that comes out and clean it with that.

If you can do that without scoring scraping scratching nicking or gouging the lands, you're better then me.

That's what's in the manual. I was also afraid of scratching the ringlands, but i think it wouldn't be a major issue, otherwise this wouldn't be stated in the manual.

kaosboss
Club4AG Regular

Postby kaosboss » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:38 pm

I sand blasted an engine block before......was the worst idea ever! No matter how much i cleaned,soaked and power washed it media was still in there so it was truely a waste of time and money.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:56 pm

onnaj wrote:...i think it wouldn't be a major issue, otherwise this wouldn't be stated in the manual.

Well, so it does. That's one more reason to think that the factory manual is a POS and that it is just specs & lists of procedures for the experienced and definitely not a training manual.

dr.occa
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby dr.occa » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 am

allencr wrote:
onnaj wrote:...i think it wouldn't be a major issue, otherwise this wouldn't be stated in the manual.

... it is just specs & lists of procedures for the experienced and definitely not a training manual.

+1 well stated. It would be safe to say that all FSMs are NOT training manuals but intended guides for the manufacturers' respective TRAINED(experienced) technicians. Please don't construe this as elitist on my part. It wouldn't hurt to remind ourselves that Service Manuals aren't training manuals (nor are they a replacement for experienced advice) as allencr pointed out.

Oliver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Oliver » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:08 pm

This is from my hybrid blue top head/AE92 hi-comp block rebuild.

Before

1.5 hours in Berryman's parts dip and a soft brush.

I would not recommend media blasting the pistons, as you can see, they are coated from the factory. Well, at least the hi-comp and the SC pistons are.

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:54 pm

WOW! That´s a nice result. Look almost new now. Yes escpecially for the coated piston any media blasting would harm them i think.