Supercharger oil

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Supercharger oil

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:16 pm

A thread on the MR2OC finally motivated me to do something I have been wanting to do for a long time.
It always bothers me hearing people randomly throwing this oil or that oil into their SC. Especially with how rare they are becoming. We know for a fact that throwing the wrong gear oil in your transmission can have devastating consequences. We also know that it probably wont show up in the first thousand or ten thousand miles. It may be the difference between your trans lasting twenty thousand miles or two hundred thousand miles though. Why would your supercharger gear box be any different?

I have talked to Ogura and I have ordered a bulk quantity of the oil that they recommend for their superchargers. Due to concerns with liability I feel I must stress the fact that I can't really recommend this product. And quite honestly I do recommend people use Toyota SC oil. It is the one oil that we can know for 100% sure all seals, bearings, bushings and gears are speccd for.

http://matrixgarage.com/store/supercharger-oil

I am still waiting for everything to arrive. Anyone who orders within the next week may have to wait a few more days than usual for their shipment.
Alternitively if you are interested and want to wait, I can post here when it arrives and I get the first sets packaged.
Ogura Clutch is the manufacturer for the Toyota SC12 and SC14 superchargers.
Aside from the housing casting the SC12 and SC14 are virtually identical to the TX12 and TX15
I cannot say that this oil is the right oil for the SC12 or the SC14 because Toyota may have speccd them differently. I also cannot recomend you use it in non Ogura branded supercharger.
I can however tell you that in conversations with Ogura clutch it was brought to my attention that the type of oil you use is very important. Using the wrong oil can shorten life due to added gear and bearing wear. The wrong oil can react with various metals in the gear box and cause rapid erosion. It can also react with the seals and cause them to break down and fail much more quickly. Although I cannot tell you this is the right oil for your SC12 or SC14 I am confidant it is the best, safest option out there short of buying Toyota branded oil from the dealership.
Many people buy alternitive oils to save money. If you are going to do that, why not at least use a product that the original manufacturer reccomends for their superchargers.
Klübersynth oils
Synthetic gear and high temperature oils based on
KlüberComp Lube Technology
• The oils meet the requirements according to DIN 51 517 – 03, CLP. Corresponding gears
can be switched to Klübersynth oils without prior consultation provided the general
application notes are observed.
• KlüberComp Lube Technology involves the selection of high-quality raw materials and
individual consultation and services by Klüber, ensuring high-performance lubrication of
different gearbox components.
• As of ISO VG 220 the scuffing load stage API GL 5 is achieved. Gears are sufficiently
protected against scuffing even under high peak loads.
• The oils' high micropitting resistance acc. to FVA 54 IV GFT ≥ 10 offers sufficient protection
to gears that are subject to high loads and would normally be susceptible to this type
of damage.
• Good wear protection prevents premature rolling bearing failure.
• Much longer service life than mineral oils due to the excellent ageing and oxidation resistance
of the base oil; thus maintenance intervals can be extended and in certain cases
even lifetime lubrication is possible.
• Owing to the wide service temperature range a single viscosity grade can cover both low
and high temperatures in many applications.
• The optimum friction behaviour of the polyglycol base oil reduces power losses and improves
efficiency.
• The excellent viscosity-temperature behaviour supports the formation of a sufficient lubricating
film even at elevated and high temperatures.
• Seals made of 72 NBR 902 (except ISO VG 22), 75 FKM 585 and 75 FKM 170055 are resistant
to Klübersynth GH 6 oils. Leakage and contamination are prevented.
• Approved by Siemens (Flender), Siemens Geared Motoros, SEW Eurodrive, Getriebebau
Nord, Stöber Antriebstechnik, Lenze, ZAE Antriebstechnik, Bonfiglioli, Rossi Motoriduttori,
Motovario, Moventas, Boston Gear, Baldor and many more

rocksteadyracer
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Supercharger oil

Postby rocksteadyracer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:04 pm

GM dealers sell some for the Pontiac GTP with super charger

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:15 pm

rocksteadyracer wrote:GM dealers sell some for the Pontiac GTP with super charger

My point and it should have been made clear above is that just because it says supercharger oil does not mean it's all the same or all compatible.

foyejstuart
Club4AG Regular

Postby foyejstuart » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:57 am

Oil is necessary for all the cars whatever it is but we have to use some good quality oil for the better life of engine. Supercharger is very good brand of oil and you can get it from internet easily.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 am

I'm very confused. I try to offer a better solution at the same price you can find the other preferred alternatives and yet I get nothing but negative feedback.
I talk to Ogura, the manufacturer of our superchargers and they tell me that oil selection is extremely important for the longevity of their superchargers and are nice enough to tell me what they use.
I am then told by a number of people on the Internet that other oils are just as good without giving any information on their background, studies they know of or studies they have done to prove otherwise.
I don't get it. I would think that people would more readily try to support a small business trying to succeed in a very small market, especially someone who shares the same passions and has been involved in the community for just short of a decade.
If you can get as good or better a product from me for the same price then what exactly is this argument for buying another product from someone else? Why would you rather support GM or a mass ebay seller over me? I don't get it.

Supercharger is very good brand of oil and you can get it from internet easily.

Supercharger oil is not a brand.
There is GM supercharger oil. GM being the brand, Supercharger oil being a description of what it does, similar to ATF. Just like ATF there are different kinds and different applications.
There are also other supercharger oils such as AC delco, Kenne Bell Etc.
They are all formulated for the superchargers they are designed for or vice versa.
Ogura superchargers Speced their superchargers for Klubersynth so if you can find it at the same price as the others through a member of the board and a 4AGE enthusiast perhaps you can explain to me why other supercharger oils make more sense.

If anyone else wants to argue why other oils are just as good or better please also include your background on the subject and research that you have done or complied on the subject.

Autohaus_Z
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Autohaus_Z » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:I'm very confused. I try to offer a better solution at the same price you can find the other preferred alternatives and yet I get nothing but negative feedback.

I dont think any of that was negative feedback. For example "your oil sucks." 86 and 240sx owners are notorious for being on the cheap which I why I think everyone in this thread is suggesting easy/cheap alternatives such as GM supercharger oil (Im a cheap ass, I run GM sc oil too). Dont get me wrong I understand your point though.

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:I don't get it. I would think that people would more readily try to support a small business trying to succeed in a very small market, especially someone who shares the same passions and has been involved in the community for just short of a decade.
If you can get as good or better a product from me for the same price then what exactly is this argument for buying another product from someone else? Why would you rather support GM or a mass ebay seller over me? I don't get it.

Yeah this is America, lets be real, unfortunately no one here give a **** about quality anymore. Price point is always the deciding factor. Thats why ebay. It is funny you first say you cannot recommend your own oil, but in this quote you say it is "as good or a better product." I cant find the oil on your site store either by the way.

Dont get me wrong I understand your point, I understand supporting small business (I buy all my Gundams and modeling supplies from small local business'), and Im not trying to disrespect you or your business. I run a GZE too, but no one is going to support you if you fire back at us like that.
Owner. CM Autohaus LLC. San Jose, CA.
RnD/Product Testing. Battle Garage RS/Annex Suspension Group
Amsoil Dealer # 5615215
IG @Autohaus_Z for AE86 fun, T50 trans builds, and track life!
The Autohaus Podcast

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:08 am

ElChinoxNJ wrote:I dont think any of that was negative feedback. For example "your oil sucks." 86 and 240sx owners are notorious for being on the cheap which I why I think everyone in this thread is suggesting easy/cheap alternatives such as GM supercharger oil (Im a cheap ass, I run GM sc oil too)

GM supercharger oil is $10 a bottle. Unfortunately one bottle isn't quite enough so you need two.
I figured since I needed to order this oil in bulk and repackage it that it wasn't too unfair to offer the proper amount for a full refill for the same $20 it would cost to buy the two bottles of supercharger oil. Granted you are paying slightly more per volume of oil. For those who want to save a little more I decided that I would offer a bottle double the size good for two refills for $30.
Trust me, I know this comunity. I know that if I can't offer something cheap it's not worth doing. I won't be doing it at all much longer at this rate. Perhaps more of my recent frustration came out in this thread than was deserved but over and over again across the three boards I frequent I will drop a link to a great product at a great price that is exactly what a person needs and then the three following posts are people telling the OP to go to autozone or ebay and buy their bargain bin junk for the same price. Or people telling me that X supercharger oil is just as good as Y supercharger oil with no apparent understanding of the system or empirical data to back it up. So yeah, I'm a little frustrated. That frustration isn't aimed directly at you or at the board in general. It just feels a little like getting stabbed in the back when people seem to make a point to go out of their way to buy something somewhere else and recommend others do as well.
It is funny you first say you cannot recommend your own oil, but in this quote you say it is "as good or a better product." I cant find the oil on your site store either by the way.

These are Toyota Superchargers. The only oil anyone can safely recommend would be Toyota supercharger oil. It is unlikely that they are speced differently than regular Ogura blowers but they could be. I still think that the oil that the manufacturer of the superchargers recommends is still a much safer bet than oil made for a completely different brand of supercharger.
The link to the oil is in the first post of this thread. It's also under Superchargers, parts accessories and maintenence though the link is a little too subtle.
http://matrixgarage.com/store/supercharger-oil

Russ
Club4AG Regular

Postby Russ » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 am

I ran Ford supercharger oil in a SC12 for over 5 years and beat that engine up bad. SC was still in great shape the day I sold it. Absolutely play it safe and get the Toyota oil if you're unsure but I had a good experience with the Ford oil.