Valve clearance just above specs

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Valve clearance just above specs

Postby onnaj » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:06 am

Hello,

I'm rebuilding my 4AGE 20V BT and i've arrived at the head. I've already grinded the valves, cleaned everything, mounted the valves (ofcourse ;)), leak tested the head, etc etc. But now i have a question about the valve clearance.

The exhaust side is all perfect within spec. For the intake side all, except the middle notches of the intake camshaft, are on the end or just about 0.01-0.02mm (0.000393-0.000787inch) above of spec.

We've also measured the 0.30 mm plate of the thickness gauge we used for this to be absolute sure of the measurement. It's a bit below what it says, about 0.28-29mm. So were we've painted between 0.28-0.30 it can be either 0.28, 0.29 or 0.30 mm because of the not completely perfect gauge. So all are very very very near to the spec The specs for the intake valve are between 0.19 (0,007 inch) and 0.29mm (0.011 inch). So 0.30 will be just above this.

To explain what i'm saying i've made pictures with the measured valve clearances in top. (NOTE these are in mm, not inches. To save you some calculation time: 0.24 = 0.009448 inch, 0.26 = 0.010236 inch, 0.28 = 0.011023 inch and 0.30 = 0.011811 inch).

I think it'll be absolutely no problem that they are just 0.01-0.02 out of spec (at max), cause most probably the clearance will normally gets lower. I think that maybe the grinding and remounting will also caused it to be just a bit out of spec. It'll be a different story imo when it's below the spec.

But to be sure i'm asking you, the guys that now the 4AGE engines all the way! :)

Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

kennyb01
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Valve clearance just above specs

Postby kennyb01 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:12 pm

By .01 above specs is that .01 mm or inches too tight of clearance? If it's too tight it tends to wear the lobes too quickly and doesn't allow the required film (amount of molecules) of oil between the lobe and the bucket. If there's too much clearance than as the lobe comes around it slaps the bucket causing the ticking noise. This can over time cause damage to the camshaft as well. I would reshim that valve so it's clearanced properly rather than let it "work itself out." It will save you lot's of work and possible big bucks in the end.

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:08 am

kennyb01 wrote:By .01 above specs is that .01 mm or inches too tight of clearance? If it's too tight it tends to wear the lobes too quickly and doesn't allow the required film (amount of molecules) of oil between the lobe and the bucket. If there's too much clearance than as the lobe comes around it slaps the bucket causing the ticking noise. This can over time cause damage to the camshaft as well. I would reshim that valve so it's clearanced properly rather than let it "work itself out." It will save you lot's of work and possible big bucks in the end.

Hello,

Too tight means too much clearance. I think the grinding had also effect on it.
I think i'll drive it for approx 5000-10000km and then check them again. I mean 0.01 above spec, then we're talking about a hair thickness. Can't imagine that would be bad. Especially when taking in cosidering that the clearance will be less over time. When it was too tight i think that would be worse because of the valves that are going to float a bit.
Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Use the feeler gauges as go-no go gauges for the lowest & above whatever the factory spec range is, the lower limit size should easily fit and the next larger size above the factory limit should not fit, that'll tell you that your clearance is within range. Easy, no worries & no maths to F up.
Check them again at your first oil change & re-torque the head.

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:55 am

Thanks! The feelers weren;t going in that easily. We had to put them in with a little bit of force. So they must be right.

I'll be checking them in 10.000 km again. My first oil change will be at 2500 km and that's a bit early to check them i think.

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Wed May 15, 2013 2:41 pm

After the rebuild and finishing the swap i can tell you that the valves are ticking :(.

So you guys are right, that 0.01-0.02mm is enough for the ticking. Just drove only 80 miles or so yet, but i doesn't disappear yet. For the rest...the engine feels STRONG! Really as new.

Autohaus_Z
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Autohaus_Z » Wed May 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Honestly I wouldnt worry about the ticking. For some reason valve lash always gets tight on subaru's with buckets or shims and the general rule for us at the dealer is too tight will misfire, too loose will make noise. Better on the loose side, but as close to spec as possible. Also unless you have some bad ass expensive feeler gauges, feeler gauge readings will also not be 100% accurate.

onnaj wrote:Hello,

bit.

Sorry I have to disagree with this statement. Valve lash being too tight means there is NOT enough clearance.
Owner. CM Autohaus LLC. San Jose, CA.
RnD/Product Testing. Battle Garage RS/Annex Suspension Group
Amsoil Dealer # 5615215
IG @Autohaus_Z for AE86 fun, T50 trans builds, and track life!
The Autohaus Podcast

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Fri May 17, 2013 3:19 am

ElChinoxNJ wrote:Honestly I wouldnt worry about the ticking. For some reason valve lash always gets tight on subaru's with buckets or shims and the general rule for us at the dealer is too tight will misfire, too loose will make noise. Better on the loose side, but as close to spec as possible. Also unless you have some bad ass expensive feeler gauges, feeler gauge readings will also not be 100% accurate.

onnaj wrote:Hello,

bit.

Sorry I have to disagree with this statement. Valve lash being too tight means there is NOT enough clearance.

You're right, i mean too loose --> too much clearance. Thanks! ;)