Just thought I would create a DIY on how to replace the control arm bushings without having to use a
large press or trying to burn them out.
The tool need for this job is the ball joint service kit. You can get this kit either from Harbor
Freight (Item#4065) or some auto parts places let you rent specialty tools.
*Note: I did use 3M silicone grease instead of the provided poly grease. I've heard really good things about the 3M silicone grease and I have not heard one squeak from my car after installing the new bushings.
1. Use tongue and groove pliers to rip the edges of the bushing off the lower control arms.
This is what the bushing should look like once complete.
2. Place the receiving cup into the ball joint press with the control arm, bushing ripped side, into the receiving cup. Then tighten the jack-screw until everything is held in place.
Remember to keep your jack screw oiled so it tightens down smoothly.
3. Now you can use a rachet with a 22mm socket to tighten the jack-screw.
Be careful when you are getting to the end of pressing the bushing out. Make sure the metal piece inside is coming out straight and is not being pressed into the end of the receiving cup. I just used a pin punch to keep it from hitting the inside of the receiver cup.
This picture shows how the metal piece on the inside was not coming out straight.
4. Now you can grab the new poly bushings and press in the two sides by hand.
You can start the metal sleeve by hand and use the press to push it in the rest of the way.
5. For the upper control arms I notice that you did not have to rip the edges of the bushings. You can just press them out with the receiving cup.
6. For the stabilizer bar I just pressed out one of the old medal sleeves so I could use it to press out the stabilizer bar ends. Remember to first remove the metal sleeve before you start pressing out the bushing.
Here is the setup I used to press the new bushings into the stabilizer ends.
I did try to replace the bushings on the lateral rod but it was too hard and cumbersome.
I was able to get one side in with the U shaped bushing but I did not take any pictures. I basically just kept working at it until it went in.
I will be doing the front control arms in the next few weeks and will update this DIY once complete.
Hope this DIY helps you guys out.