4age engine removal tips

aaronlee133
Club4AG Expert

4age engine removal tips

Postby aaronlee133 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Hey fellas,

I've been looking around but don't seem to find a definitive answer so posting a new thread - apologies if I missed an oldie!

I've gotten around to getting the suspension (bushings, struts, springs), brakes (steel lines, pads, rotors), and exterior completed. Now I'm moving onto the engine bay. There a couple things I'd like to do and want prefer to pull the engine to do it. By this I mean: change water pump and radiator, remove A/C, PS, install greddy oil filter re-lo kit, replace PS with AW11 setup (I've already rebuilt the rack), and replace seals and oil pan.

The question I have is would it be easier to remove the entire engine with the tranny OR unbolt tranny while still on the car and remove just the block?

Any FYI or key pieces of advice I should be aware of?

Happy New Year fellas and thanks for your guidance/feedback in advance!
-Aaron

tchybrid
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: 4age engine removal tips

Postby tchybrid » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:20 pm

I've anyways found removing the engine with the transmission together easier.

Moto_Club4AG
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Moto_Club4AG » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:15 pm

either way, and depends on the space you have. Pulling them together requires a tall crane or cutting radiator core support (which make future maintenance easier too)
Or you can split the transmission and remove it easier vertically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Motoring!

Moto Miwa - Founder, Club4AG

aaronlee133
Club4AG Expert

Postby aaronlee133 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi guys thanks for the feedback.

Moto - would this be cutting and removing just the top rail of the core support just inside the radiator tie down brackets? I'm not looking at my car at the moment but doesn't this also imply I would lose my hood latch?

Thanks - Aaron

shandangles

Postby shandangles » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:56 am

assuming your car is RWD, removing the engine to do the work you have listed above will greatly increase the time and effort you need to put into the job. Its all relatively straight forward with the engine in place

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:33 pm

i've always found it 100x easier to remove the engine with the transmission attached, I never had to cut anything either.

Jinsoku

Postby Jinsoku » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

if you have the space and correct equipment pulling them together is what I normally do.
like moto said it's easier to pull vertical with the tranny disconnected but you'll need a few long extensions to help ease the stress lol.

no matter which way I always have a lot of cardboard on the ground, a few pans and a lot of rags.
if you aren't sure that you'll remember what bolts/nuts go where marked zip lock bags can save you hours!!

post some pics after you're done!
Since 2001