Ae95 4agze sc14

corolla4dr4agze

Ae95 4agze sc14

Postby corolla4dr4agze » Sun May 05, 2013 2:12 pm

So i thought i would post this up in some of the other forums for all to enjoy.

Last sept i pick up a 1992 ae95 corolla wagon. For those unfimilar with the ae95 is awd. It uses a drivetrain setup similar to the celica gt4. Mine in paticular is a automatic transmission. Which unlike the manual trans corolla mechanical center differential locker the auto uses a viscous coupling so no big vacuum drum of the t-case. After getting the CAT (corolla all-trac) i drove it for a little over six months when it spun a rod bearing. What can i say with 240k miles on it.
Well the plan from the start was a new drive train so with the engine down what better time then now. I already had a 4agze from an 89 aw11 mr2 and a sc14 supercharger from a previa. So the engine went of to the machine shop and soon come back good has new. Put togther the new engine made custom brackets and intake piping including a very custom designed n/a bigport intake manifold and a water-to-air intercooler setup from a st165 celica.

The spec.

Chassis
AE95 corolla all-trac wagon.
EPS (electric power steering) i cannibalized a steering column from a 2004 prius and graft it on the stock steering column of my CAT. Then powered it up with the eps ecu from a 2006 yaris.
Air bag helpers in the rear coil springs ( for the heavy wieght she will carry.)
Polly bushing for the complete rear suspension. (Same has an ae86 rolla.)
Strut brace from a geo prism gsi. (Same brace has a ae92 corolla gts).
Frame rail in engine compartment mod to clear sc14 pulley.( hit with big hammer!)
17" aftermarket wheels not sure on brand. But looking to drop down to a 16"
Brakes stock for now. Upgrades planned.
Shocks upgrade also planned.

Interior.
Custom dash mat and floor mats cut to factory spec with "4agze/All-Trac" embrodiered.
Review mirror from 2010 tundra with auto dim, compass and homelink garage remote.
Radio Pioneer app radio 2.
Infiniti 3 1/2 inch speaker up front.
4 inch alpine in the rear.
JL 10inch sub.
Gauge custom installed into the instrument cluster just above fuel level gauge. Gauge is a plx dm-100 with imfd for afr wide band, boost vacuum, and two fluid temps. One for transmission, the other for coolant temp for the wta intercooler.

Drivetrain.
4agze
Sc14 supercharger
Water-to-air intercooler from st165 celica.
Tvis bigport n/a intake manifold. Installed with out tvis plate. Original throttle mount plate over with 1 inch port fort ABV to connect, then inlet mounted to center of the mani.
All custom intake piping.
Throttle body from 1mz camry v6. Still placed before supercharger.
Aeromotive fuel pressure reg.
7mgte fuel pump
Morosso oil catch can.
Igniter from a early 90s camry v6
Ignition coil, dis cap and wires from a rolla gts. (Distributor rotor is stock 4agze.)
Rebuild 4agze top and bottom with clevite 77 bearings, cosmetic metal headgasket and arp head studs. (Distributor mod to clear stud)
Stock injectors and ecu. Ecu is from a mr2 automatic.
Transmission is stock A241H which has the same clutch and bands has the A241E found in a mr2 automatic 4agze, and the transfer case has the same viscous coupling has the celica st165.

Now for the good part!

This is the first pic after picking the ride up and a 1100 mile drive from bend oregon to arizona!

Window tint and new wheels.

Steering column ready to install with eps.

Engine bay before.

Custom mods to intake mani.

Engine bay after.

PLX Devices dm-100 gauge mounted in instrument cluster

The ride after a good wash!

Check at my build over at http://www.alltracwagon.net/forum/m-1347147405/

corolla4dr4agze

Re: Ae95 4agze sc14

Postby corolla4dr4agze » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 pm

So i figured i would do a little update on my AE95 project. First of still been plagued with transmission issues which end up been incorrectly torqued or lack of even tightening the valve body bolts. So i am swaping back to the old trans and will work on getting the spare rebuilt again then just store it tell the old one burns up.

So now for the updates. I picked up a set of seat from a sw20 mr2. Then had my friend who does interior redo the seat upholstry. Also while i had the seats apart we installed and cooler/ventilator and heater system. I have the seat al setup to install but still need to wire them up and find some where to mount the control switches. Also rear bench seat is curremtly being recovered to match.

This first pic show the special spacing fabric to allow the air flow.

I did a full rebuild of the front suspension. Replaced all bushing with polys, replaced the rack and pinion with the lines looped back together. And replaced the front strut cartridges with kyb agx. Which i like but wish the had one setting to the softer side. I did have to modify them a little to get them to fit.

Also rebuilt the distributor, picked up an apexi safc2, and am working on a battery relocation, using a lithum iron(yes iron not ion) this little battery makes over 500 cca and wiegh around 4lbs.

New battery next to old group 35 battery that was in the car.

Safc2

Last i had the front half of the driveline rebuilt. Now these driveline have a odd size u-joint that no one has been able to match up has far has i know. So i had a driveline shop cut the ends off and weld in new ends with u-joints that are both servicable and rebuildable.

Also picked up a rare hks crankshaft pulley.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:59 am

Nnice build.
I always wanted an alltrac coupe but they are much harder to find than the wagons.
I was wondering why you would run the SC14 on the stock ECU till you mentioned the SAFC. Unfortunately it's not going to do what you need it to.
The GZE ECU suffers from what's called low end leanout. This is an issue with the ECU programming. It has a hard cap programmed on the AFM signal under 3500 RPM. This means that if the AFM opens more than that the ECU will not add more fuel. This also means that a piggy back that alters the AFM signal like the SAFC does will not add any more fuel. I also don't like these piggy backs because they mess with timing and make the ECU think the engine is behaving differently than it really is.
If you wanted to use a piggy back you would need to use one that works on the output side of the ECU and directly changes injector duty cycle and ignition timing like the AEM F/IC. http://matrixgarage.com/store/aem-engine-management

Personally I would just suck it up and get a real engine management ECU. There are some options in a similar price range as piggy backs if you are willing to do some work. Some options are Megasquirt and the DIYPNP. For just a little more you can get a pre made ECU like the MSPNP or the AEM EMS4.
I can also get plug and play harnesses made for any management system.

corolla4dr4agze

Postby corolla4dr4agze » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:43 pm

I am aware of the low end lean out. I was not sure if the safc would work but I picked up for free, well I traded my electronic power steering pump for it. Has she was running before the transmission issue I was see 11 psi boost, but never saw the lean out issue that I had read about. Now it has been since November that the car was running. I should have the car back up and running this weekend. I will set the plx gauge up to graph the afrs and see what I find. Please remember that I am running an automatic, also the ecu is from an automatic mr2. It has the gray connectors, California spec #89661-17130. There is a chance that both the different ecu and the function of the automatic transmission my be had why I have not seen the lean out issue. I would be interested to hear from any one with and automatic 4agze if they have seen the lean out on there car.
I should also note that I did not plan on getting any type of piggy back system, but the opportunity to get and hks oversized crank pulley came I just could not pass it down. My original plan was to install the 440cc injectors that where on my supra to increase fuel in the lean area, then use the safc to lean out the fuel map in the other rpms ranges. however this car is to be my daily driver, so if I cant get the car running the way I want on the stock ecu with the safc and hks pulley, then I will just remove it all and go back to just the sc14. If I do find its still a problem leaning out then I believe a friend has a grunt box he would trade me.

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:17 am

I would get some PVC and route it to the pass seat, then you can blame the fart on the passenger, hehehe

Your car looks similar to the Toyota Caribs they have over here. I had a similar wagon, but mine was a Caldina. 4wd, fun car