My TE72 project

bombapinoy
Club4AG Regular

My TE72 project

Postby bombapinoy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Hi Guys! Since I havent really done one of these before, please forgive the craziness of my post.

Anyways here is my TE72 coupe project. It was my dad's however since he hasn't touched it in a while, I asked him if i could make it my project car and sure enough here I am doing little things to make her a good car!

My favorite part about this particular car is the grille. not very often you see a grille like this one as most TE72 have the "Toyota" logo stamped right in the middle or have it deleted. I believe this is a Levin grille.

The engine was completely stock, which was nice in terms of milage, but being an enthusiast I wanted a little more oomph. Luckily I was able to find a set of Mikuni 44s on the old 3tcgarage forum and couldnt wait to put them on. However I had to wait a while to put them on due to my lack of knowledge on car engines. :(

However with more fuel going into the car, I wanted to make sure I would get the most bang from it. So I decided to upgrade the ignition and go with a rev limiter in case I would ever drift the car. (who am I kidding of course I'm gonna drift it haha)

A MSD 6AL was ordered and was a nice upgrade from the stock coil. Not to mention the security it comes with when properly wired. Love to hear that engine when its revved high up and not worrying about it blowing up. Set the limiter to 5.5k for now but after I rebuild the engine I'll most likely bump it up to 6k.

Having no Tach, I was unsure if I was shifting at the right time. So I got myself an aftermarket tach, and one fitting the timeline of the corolla. I was able to find this Actron/Sunpro beauty on eBay.

Finding the right place for it was difficult because it was a lot bigger than I imagined. The best place I could find for now is front and center. But I love how it glows, especially during the night.

The trunk was in shambles as time has worn the carpet down to nothing.

So I went to Lowes and picked myself up a door mat and cut it to fit over everything and give it a nicer look. Eventually though I will make a false floor to make it more flat.

My seat being worn down was on the hunt for a new seat and ran into this Buddy club bucket seat from an AE86 on c4ag and was told it was a direct bolt in. So when I received it I immediately checked to see if it was a perfect fit and it was. I was spared from getting a custom bracket made. I do miss reclining the seat though sometimes as it isn't the most comfortable thing to sit on especially for more than 30 minutes. But it will be nice for drifitng for sure.

Also seat belts didn't lock and my buddy gave me his spare harnesses. I know there is no roll cage but hey, lesser of two evils. At least it's mounted correctly in the existing seat belt bolts in the rear. Hopefully I will have a half cage installed. They look quite badass.

After a long delay, I finally got the carbs installed. Gas milage now sucks at 18 MPG average but its mostly freeway driving. They sound quite awesome and are a nice boost of power from stock though. Such a messy engine bay...

Having an ancient deck sucks, especially when you have bad connections. And I wanted to listen to my own jams for once instead of just the radio. Sony seemed like a good choice as it was fairly cheap and has the name to back it up.

Also decided to buy add a sub to make it more boomy. Crutchfield had a great thin sub on sale and it seemed like a good choice as I don't really listen to bass heavy music.

So after the system was installed I realized that the subwoofer, although being tiny, had more boom for the buck. Good thing it came with a knob to adjust the boom. However the system was very nice. I could plug in my phone and control it from the deck while charging. Also had to cover my sub with jackets so that people don't see the sub and decide to make it their own.

Summer time was closing in fast as the temperatures were rising. My old radiator wasn't quite cutting it and I needed an upgrade. So I ordered a griffin rad from BRD racing and although the upper hose wasnt where it should be originally I found a flexible rad hose my mishimoto to make it fit the bill. The EGR is in the way and it wasnt as flexible as I had imagined so it looks more ugly than planned. But whatever works for now I guess.

I decided to move away from the carbon fiber steering wheel as it really doesn't the time period. So I switched it out to another steering wheel my dad owned. A wooden Luisi steering wheel.

Also I found a nice wood Teq shift knob to make it match.

My passenger seat was bugging me as there were rips. Fortunately I was able to find an older recaro seat on craigslist and no doubt it had to be bought right away. Unfortunately it came from a Porsche and forced me to buy some rails and had to even get a custom mount to fit it in.

Also I needed some nice Takatas to make it match my driver seat. :)

So far that wraps up on the project. Many more add ons soon to come. Fortunately I was able to find some goodies at the junkyard such as the body moldings that go on the door to make it more complete and louvers! I didn't even know louvers were available for the car! Adds some nice shade for myself and some privacy so people won't sneak a peek in the trunk. Bought some security screws so it won't be easily taken out with a screwdriver. Can't wait to install them. But still need to paint them to make them look better.

Also soon I will be swapping in some new wheels! The Fittipaldi ones are nice and classic 5 spoke. But I want a nice aggressive look. So I will be getting the AME x Fatlace FZero2s 15 x 8.5 front -6 and 15 x 9.5 rear +0. They look quite awesome. Although these are the FZero1 they are the same offsets and color I will be getting. The test fitting was quite worth the drive just to get an idea of how they will sit.

More updates soon when I get the ball actually rolling. Hope you enjoyed my write up!
http://UPSCALENATION.COM 1980 TE72, 2003 V35. Love them both as each car has a different personality.

joel23
Club4AG Regular

Re: My TE72 project

Postby joel23 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:53 pm

looks good... nice sunpro tach... :mrgreen:

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:12 pm

another TRUE E7 coupe owner... ;)

there are NOT many of us.... :o
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Tibby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tibby » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:21 pm

Haha sunpro tach thats so great! Loving ur side drafts thats my goal as well, im currently rebuilding my webber 32/36 my gas mileage was terrible like 5mpg due to a screwed up float :/ either way im looking forward to the updates looks great!

bombapinoy
Club4AG Regular

Postby bombapinoy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Thanks for the love guys! Hopefully will have updates soon!
http://UPSCALENATION.COM 1980 TE72, 2003 V35. Love them both as each car has a different personality.

nolanator

Postby nolanator » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:05 pm

I love how all the mods are so thought out and period correct. Flows so nicely. And I am so jealous of your sun pro tach!!!

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:41 am

Also I found a nice wood Teq shift knob to make it match.

Not Teq

トヨタ =TOYOTA

DatGuy217

Postby DatGuy217 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:16 am

Oh my. This is such a nice build. A perfect example of k.i.s.s.

Tibby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tibby » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Hey bomb any updates this was getting preatty sweet?

& I wanted to ask what are u using to mount ur stereo, did the coupes have a center console?
Cuz my wagon needs a stereo but I dont wanna pull out my stock deck(I just kno ima crack my dash trying lol) are u using the 83 center?

Either way update!
:P

bombapinoy
Club4AG Regular

Postby bombapinoy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Tibby wrote:Hey bomb any updates this was getting preatty sweet?

& I wanted to ask what are u using to mount ur stereo, did the coupes have a center console?
Cuz my wagon needs a stereo but I dont wanna pull out my stock deck(I just kno ima crack my dash trying lol) are u using the 83 center?

Either way update!

My bad bro. Been busy with trying to get into some master/doctorate programs so I haven't really had time for the car other than driving it around. I do have some updates that need to be put here but I will save that until I have multiple updates to post on. :)

As for the stereo I just bought some stereo mount from ebay screwed it to the top of the 80 radio console cover and it doesnt wobble or fall out of place. My coupe didnt have a center console. I know that the 82-83 console is slightly bigger than the 80-81. (I know cuz I tried putting on the 82 console and it was bigger)

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Very cool so far! I love that digi tacho!
irony.cc

Tibby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tibby » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:21 am

bombapinoy wrote:
Tibby wrote:Hey bomb any updates this was getting preatty sweet?

Either way update!

My bad bro. Been busy with trying to get into some master/doctorate programs so I haven't really had time for the car other than driving it around. I do have some updates that need to be put here but I will save that until I have multiple updates to post on. :)

As for the stereo I just bought some stereo mount from ebay screwed it to the top of the 80 radio console cover and it doesnt wobble or fall out of place. My coupe didnt have a center console. I know that the 82-83 console is slightly bigger than the 80-81. (I know cuz I tried putting on the 82 console and it was bigger)

Haha no worries man life happens, im the same way id love to make a build thread but not till I have sum massive upgrades that are worth sharing lol

yea it is big, im just so tired of no stereo plus my stock deck tape thing is wack and I feel like ima crack that black part around it, its all in one piece so I dont needa mess it up lol. Looks like im off to a stereo shop and ebay haha.

Mazota TE51
Club4AG Regular

Postby Mazota TE51 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Any updates? Wondering how it looks with the new wheels. Proud owner of an E7 myself.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Keep it up, man! Great build.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

bombapinoy
Club4AG Regular

Postby bombapinoy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Per request of a lot of users, time to update the very slow progress of the e7

Having an old car means you are going to have cracks no doubt. So what I did was tear off the entire dash. Found a decent one at the junkyard, ground out the cracks, filled them in, and just put over a new vinyl for that nice crack free dash.

All that work just to take off the dash though... :evil:

And I couldn't be more than happy to see what a new dash would look like on such an old car. It really changed everything. The little things you do on your car count the most and make your driving experience more enjoyable.

Also decided to paint the louvers to make it look newer. After paint and mounting it on the car, it was just such a nice change that they might be one of my favorite parts on the corolla! It was just a quick paint so don't mind it being the worst paint job ever. I'm so lucky to have found that at the junkyard. Thank you Uncle! (the one who bought it for me at the yard)

So when I was working on my car and I raised up the car on the side, I heard a metal clunk drop on the floor. I looked and saw the rear springs on the floor had collapsed. I asked my dad what happened and he said he cut the springs when he got the car to lower it. :shock: In his defense though that was the only way to lower your car back in the day so I don't blame him for the cut springs. This meant a suspension upgrade is a VERY MUCH necessity because I don't want to deal with a failing suspension and drive off the road.

Gabe from T3 gave me some awesome advise and recommended me a good setup for the car and went with 5.7kg spring rate. This was nice and stiff and good for when I go drifting.I only got the rear set for now because I don't have the funds to finance both the front and back suspension. But eventually I will switch to their front coilover system. When I got the coils in the mail I rejoiced like a little school girl and couldn't wait to put them on. You can tell they make some good quality parts.

Also Since the car was lowered I needed to fix the problem of having the wheel pushed towards the driver side. So I replaced the stock panhard/lateral bar to a T3 one as well. Fixed the problem right away and and rear is now nice and even.

While I had the suspension off the car I decided why not check the drums. I'm glad I did. The rear drums were gone...no wonder I had to refill the brake cylinder all the time. So I wen't to autozone and got brand new hardware, shoes, and wheel cylinders. Since I had a hard time with the brakes I asked my buddy nemcho to change them for me. It was more complicated than I imagined and I'm glad I called him out to give me a hand. Thanks again Nemcho I owe you one.

The Luisi steering wheel wasn't quite cutting it for me...Maybe I'm just being picky but the steering wheel felt too small and the grip was too thick. So I went on the hunt for a new steering wheel! Originally I wanted a Nardi wheel. (who doesn't) However the price was waaaaaaaaay too much for just a steering wheel. That would be half of the front coils for me. So I turned to Grip Royal. Their steering wheels looked really nice and I always wanted a deep wheel. And the price isn't too bad either. So when I got the wheel and put it on, I was more than satisfied for the wheel I got. I would even consider buying another one just because of their quality and price. It was the perfect size in all ways and was the best fit I could ever ask for. Thanks Scott! :)

You can see that the driver harness has also been upgraded to Takatas.

I have finally found some moldings from the junkyard too so I can replace the bad ones with better looking ones and now the car looks more complete with them!

Now unfortunately due to some manufacturing delays the AME wheels won't be coming in until around February according to my source. However as you can see that car is taking baby steps in order to become my perfect old school whip.

If you have any suggestions or comments please feel free to let me know as I am open to suggestions and take note of comments and have that be part of my constructive criticism. And anyways here are some lucky shots I was able to find with A very similar AE86! Hope I can talk to the owner soon and have a photoshoot with him. You can see where the AE86 shape originated. ;)

onelungderryl
Club4AG Regular

Postby onelungderryl » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Cool car. Hit it with a buffing pad to bring some of that original shine back!

bombapinoy
Club4AG Regular

Postby bombapinoy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Here are some shots of the e7 with new wheels! Sadly...it doesn't fit...yet. But the fitment was a lot more crazy than I had originally anticipated. Not sure exactly how I will attack this road block but rest assured that I will make it fit. Whether it be fender flares or some crazy fender roll/pull. Also I do realize that I am waaaaaaaay too high. I need to hurry up and save money for my coils haha. I like how the car will be running wider though which means attacking corners will be a lot more fun and more reassuring. Any comments are welcome.

YOTAHOLIC808
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby YOTAHOLIC808 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:41 am

Got Dayum! Soo Sex!!!
@_yotaholic

joel23
Club4AG Regular

Postby joel23 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:04 pm

ur car looks great man.............

bombapinoy
Club4AG Regular

Postby bombapinoy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Update time!

Decided to Clean the interior a bit. And do a bit of restoration work!

Also my stock exhaust pipe snapped... Whoops. Too many touge runs haha

Good bye stock exhaust.

Hello new exhaust!

As you can see I cleaned up the engine bay a bit. Still need to wire tuck eventually.

Front coils have finally been installed! And they are a great set. Big shout out to the guys at Techno Toy Tuning. You can definitely feel the quality when you drive it. Not to mention how good it looks.

Taking corners now is a breeze and confidence is way up because of it. Not only that it adds quite some camber even without Negative RCAs. I should probably invest in some RCAs...While I was at it I upgraded the brakes to AE86 disks. Enjoy!

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Man your car looks great! I'd put a front spoiler like boso-style cars, that would make it look all the more retro cool ;)

bombapinoy
Club4AG Regular

Postby bombapinoy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:57 pm

IndiaDorifto7 wrote:Man your car looks great! I'd put a front spoiler like boso-style cars, that would make it look all the more retro cool ;)

Don't worry I'm looking for the perfect one :)

bombapinoy
Club4AG Regular

Postby bombapinoy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Another update! Sorry for such a slow build guys. Life gets in the way but I'm pretty sure you guys all know that since thats what having a project is about :lol:

Anyways, one of the carbs got busted so it was time for a rebuild. Took out the carbs and decided to polish the valve cover. it's not the best but i can only do so much with hand polishing. Maybe I'll take it to get medium blasted to get a better finish.

And since I was doing work around the engine bay I decided it was time to get rid of the battery and put it in the trunk. Bending 1 gauge wire is not fun...but I got it to work! Also had to upgrade to a yellowtop so that I dont have any gasses lingering around the car. And because of that I decided to start tucking in some of the crazy wires that were everywhere. However I'm still deciding where to keep the distributor block so it's still hanging there. I'm sure I'll mount it on the side but just gotta figure out what orientation I want it. Also my headlight switch was super loose so touching it would turn the lights on or if im driving at night off. :shock: So new switches were needed

Also you can see that I decided to get rid of the ugly rubber hoses for the fuel and get braided lines. Looks much better too!

Now that the carbs were back on. Went out for a test drive and my goodness....what an improvement! Car used to not have linear power as it would have some power, hesitate mid range, accelerate some more and hesitate again! So the rebuild definitely helped! Had the carbs soaked in carb cleaner for a while but still had clogged pathways. So had to put that in a sonic cleaner and that did the trick.

Found an older pic of me in my car at the initial d meet in lafayette. Not to toot my own horn but damn I look good in that car...oh yeah and the car looks great too haha.

Next on my list of to do...

Rack conversion

and RCA's.

Going to redo my dash and have a new instrument gauge so more meters and an actual clock! Yay!

I'm sure I'll have other things that will also be included in the next update but for now these are the plans for now . Enjoy!

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Very nice! You've definitely done a lot of cool stuff with it so far =)
irony.cc

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 am

Cool build; love that 3TC.

Glad to see this car is still being worked on :)

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:20 am

yellowsnow4free wrote:
Glad to see this car is still being worked on :)

this...... keep up the good work!
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Postby ToeKnee805 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:05 pm

I am the first to say that i am not a big fan of the coupe TEs, but damn your car looks good with those wheels and that front grille. Looking forward to how you rack convert your car while still keeping the 3TC since im planning on doing the same in my TE Sedan
1986 Corolla GT-S -- Unmolested -- Now Resto Project
1985 Corolla GT-S -- Turbo Levin Track Car
1982 Corolla 1.8 -- Sitting collecting dust

mananaja

Postby mananaja » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:47 pm

It was more complicated than I imagined and I'm glad I called him out to give me a hand.
gclub คาสิโนออนไลน์