power steering system

evans
Club4AG Regular

power steering system

Postby evans » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 pm

when i bought my car the power steering system had the fluid drained from it, i assume to get the manual rack feel out of it. i would like to fix this problem. i have sourced a new rack from a local parts shop. oe rebuilt rack for a decent price. now heres the catch. the lower control arms on the car have been extended and thus leaving a minimal amount of treads for the outer tie rod and inner tie rod to reach the adjustment rod which has thrown my alignment out the window. still with me? now heres my idea. take the inner tie rods out of the new rack and replace them with after market ones such as the megan power steering inners. if i get the matching outers from megan will i have enough threads for toe adjustment? does anyone have any better ideas that will be cost effective and safe?
thanks

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Re: power steering system

Postby gotzoom? » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:07 pm

You could try using AW11 MR2 parts. The inner and outer tierods are longer than those on the AE86, so you might be able to make some combination of those work. The threads are all the same, so they should all interchange.

evans
Club4AG Regular

Postby evans » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:05 pm

Really? So since the rack comes with OE inners, if I use mark1 mr2 outer tie rod ends I should be able to make up the small difference? Is the ball joint angle the same? Any one else in a similar situation?

skipshift
Club4AG Regular

Postby skipshift » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:26 pm

Your tie rod ends do not effect your ball joints. You should be fine.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:04 am

+1 your oem inner and outer tie rods will have enough adjustment room to get your alignment straight.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

evans
Club4AG Regular

Postby evans » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:35 pm

they do have enough to get an alignment and straighten the car out but there is not enough threads for the car to be safe for the track, drift, circuit or whatever. even if i get some mr2 inners to help compensate.