Starting issue

ae86xy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Starting issue

Postby ae86xy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:02 pm

The car is 86 gts with 7age engine..

So today when i came home from a 20 mile freeway drive, got home park the car for atleast 3 hours then when i tried to start it, it started then barp barp barp the car dies and didnt want to start anymore just keeps on cranking.
Also i dont hear the circuit relay clicking/fuel pump when i turn the ignition
Any ideas to look for tonight

Pulled some CEL codes
#10 starter signal
#6 RPM signal

Help me out here

Resurrected
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Starting issue

Postby Resurrected » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:34 pm

Perform the basic checks first and find what you're missing. Pull an ignition lead and provide a ground for it to check spark (I like to use a simple test light connected to any good chassis ground for this). If you have spark move on to check for fuel. The fastest first check will be spraying some start ya bastard (starting fluid) in the intake. If it starts and runs off this then you know you have a fuel problem. Obviously these quick checks in themselves will not tell you the problem but it will significantly minimize the number of possibilities. Narrow it down to one of the two (spark or fuel) for us and report back for instruction on further testing.
L1 Master technician
Back from the grave!

ae86xy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ae86xy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:02 am

Today i did check for sparks YES i got sparks.

For the CEL codes got it all cleared.

Update soon

Resurrected
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Resurrected » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:08 am

See if it will run off starting fluid and let us know. If you have spark it should. Check all of your fuses as well; it's possible you blew your efi fuse. If all fuses check out okay it could be an issue with your afm/ circuit open relay, or of course the fuel pump itself. Jump battery power directly to the fuel pump and listen for it to energize or, use a test light or voltmeter to check for power at the fuel pump while cranking. If you have power, but no activity from the pump, then you can suspect a failed pump. If no power is present while cranking I would suggest your next check be at the circuit open relay, located under the dash on the passenger side above the glove box (large black and yellow relay). Make these checks and update us.
L1 Master technician
Back from the grave!

ae86xy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ae86xy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:22 pm

As of today...

Check COR it clicks
Check Old pump its still kicking
Run the diagnostic NO codes stored
Check all fuses again all good
Check EFI relay it clicks
Check battery its good even swap my battery from other car
Check/wiggle all grounds/wires all good

Tomorrow will do some work on

Starting fluid
Fuel filter
And maybe a new fuel pump
Plugs

Resurrected
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Resurrected » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:26 pm

Don't bother throwing parts at it. That's an expensive diagnostic approach and will rarely resolve the actual issue. Add an injector pulse check to your list of things to do tomorrow. You can use a test light to check first for the presence of B+ (12v) at the injector connector on the power side (make sure the key is in the ON position! Also make sure your test light is connected to a known good ground). If B+ is present on all injectors switch polarity of your test light to a source of power for the next check. Now you will be testing for injector pulse. Move your test light to the other wire of the injector and have someone crank the engine for you. If your Ecu is pulsing ground as it should be, your test light will flicker on and off while the engine is cranking. (AGAIN be sure your test light is hooked up to battery positive because the injectors are ground side switched. If your test light is hooked up to a ground during this check it will NOT blink and your results will mislead you).

A few other failures to consider that may result in a "cranks but does not start" condition:
-The timing belt has broken (Please remove your upper timing cover and confirm the integrity of the timing belt)
-The timing belt has skipped a tooth (If timing belt integrity checks out please set engine to TDC and confirm all timing marks align exactly as they should).
-Distributor is not fastened down properly and has moved enough that ignition timing is far off enough to cause a no start.

Good luck with your tests! Let us know your results.
L1 Master technician
Back from the grave!

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:53 am

Keeps on cranking - plugs wet then look at ignition, plugs dry then look at fuel system, popping/backfiring then look at timing - cam and/or ignition.

Resurrected
Don't bother throwing parts at it.
X2!