w5x swap clutch question

gbogho
Club4AG Regular

w5x swap clutch question

Postby gbogho » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:23 pm

I have a custom bellhousing for the w5x swap. My first question is about the slave cylinder (the old one is toast). The release arm hole is on the driver/starter side. Is there a different slave cylinder I need to use or can I use a regular 4age/t50 slave cylinder or would I use the sr5 slave because it mounted on the driver side?

Turtle
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: w5x swap clutch question

Postby Turtle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 pm

That's strange. What kind of a bellhousing is it (where is its origin)? I can't fathom what the designer was thinking of putting that stuff on the other side. The bellhousing that I owned, that I can't confirm was from the philippines or australia, had the slave on the GT-S (passenger) side.

If it's on the driver's side, then starting with the SR5 setup, the hard line and the soft line would be a good starting point. If anything, the hard line and the soft line will get the fluid to the correct area. then would be the guessing game of which slave cylinder to use if the SR5 one doesn't fit.

brainstorming, since it's just a fore and aft motion you're dealing with, I would first consider the mounting holes (what slave would fit on the mounting holes), and then worry about the shaft that pushes the fork (i don't know what that's called). the shaft, IIRC is a free floating rod suspended in the boot, so fashioning one to the correct length shouldn't be too hard.

if it has the space for it, you might also be able to get the SR-5 slave cylinder to work if you drilled and tapped your own mounting holes, assuming there's a mounting space in front of the fork hole.

one thing to note is clutch drag. make sure you have proper disengagement before you speed off. you can break a clutch if it doesn't disengage properly, a problem that I was once faced with when I had a converted w-58. It's long gone, but I still remember being stuck on the side of the freeway not understanding why my clutch was stuck in the engaged position (turns out a spring popped out).

R

gbogho
Club4AG Regular

Postby gbogho » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:46 pm

I don't know where its from. I should look up who i bought it from (i got it a while ago).
I can take some pictures tomorrow. I'm a little confused about the shaft you're talking about though, do you mean the piston/ram? The mounting point for the slave is in front of the fork hole.

Illegal_Garage
Club4AG Pro

Postby Illegal_Garage » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:57 pm

Yea post some pics and we can help you out a bit more

Max
Veteran Owned and Operated Business
Gulf War Era & The Bosnia-Herzegovina-Kosovo Wars
U.S. 7th Fleet
VQ-5 Det 5
VQ-1

Maxfrommisawa@aol.com

gzus13
Club4AG Regular

Postby gzus13 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Sounds the first generation of Rhett's (Toycoolrolla) bellhousings - that's what I've got. He put the slave on the driver side in the first design and later moved it to the passenger side.

As far as a slave cylinder, you can run the stock AE86 one, but because it is made to sit on the pass side, when you move it over to the driver side, it is upside down and the bleed valve is on the bottom. This makes it a huge pain to bleed the clutch. I used a slave from a newer 94-97 Corolla. The cylinder bore diameter and bolt spacing is the same, so it just bolts right on. You may need to put a small spacer on the mounting bolts to push it away from the bellhousing some - the bellhousing mount is too short even if you use the stock cylinder, but it's no big deal.
88 AE92 Corolla DX, 86 AE86 Corolla GT-S, 73 TE21 Corolla Deluxe

Psalm 91, 2 Timothy 1: 9-10, Ephesians 2: 8-10

http://www.superhachi.com