Tips on recomending Full Exhaust System

aaron.platek
Club4AG Regular

Tips on recomending Full Exhaust System

Postby aaron.platek » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:05 pm

I have been looking around for a new exhaust system and did not know what the best way to go about this from headers back. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what they have done with there exhaust. I am still running the oem motor in the car and would like to keep it as low profile as possible. Also looking for over axle system. Just wondering ideas.

Photos would also help to so I can see what they look like. Also feedback and the sound because I live in Virginia and they are super strict when it comes to exhaust systems and loudness.

Thank you for your time,
Aaron Platek

Deuce Cam

Re: Tips on recomending Full Exhaust System

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:12 am

Let us know what car and engine to clarify, but I'll assume it's an ae86 with 4age...

IMO you're better off keeping everything stock because there's not much to be gained by going aftermarket, aside from sound. This is especially true with 100% original ae86 4age (and 4ac). Unfortunately there are very few header options for a near stock engine, but there are plenty of good cat back exhausts to choose from. As far as performance gains, my guess is the best case scenario would yield +10 hp with a full aftermarket exhaust, but that likely won't happen - even +5-8 hp is VERY optimistic...

The most commonly available header is the OBX 4-1 (see below). It's shiny, but you'll loose low end power and the exhaust note becomes more tinny/raspy. I've also heard there are fitment issues.

Less known, but a Martelius header (see below) looks like a better design, but I've never tried it, and it seems few others have. I'm not sure if there's any performance benefit or detriments.

As far as a catalytic converter or test pipe... I'd go with a cat. Not only is it better for the environment, but it helps low end power and partial throttle response (especially the oem unit). High flow aftermarket cats aren't a bad option, but they can inhibit low end power/response, make the exhaust louder, and may not be legal in your area (or pass a smog test). A test pipe exacerbates the effects of a high flow unit, and they're illegal.

An aftermarket cat back unit is a good idea if you're looking to increase the exhaust note. Since your engine is stock I'd recommend an HKS Sport system or a Fujitsubo Legalis R (version with 50 mm pipe). They both have a very modest sound and aren't obnoxious. Since the pipe size on these units is close to stock (2" OD) you won't loose low end/mid range power like some of the other cbe options with larger sized pipe. Although more expensive, the Fujitsubo may be a better option considering you live in VA because it's made out of stainless steel. (HKS Sport is mild steel and will rust over time.) See below for pics:

HKS:

Fujitsubo:

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:57 am

Im in NOVA and the FFX county cops don't mess around. Ended up going back to a stock-like exhaust. The illegal exhaust tickets were getting into the $400 range. Not to mention being threatened with jail time or impoundment, for a fix it ticket. My buddy with HKS sport was getting tix as well out here.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:49 am

The Fujitsubo LegalisR with the full size muffler should pass noise regs

this one...

or this one....

NOT this one... (note muffler shorter)

OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SgtRauksauff » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:48 pm

if you don't feel like buying a pre-made shiny one, and you know a good shop, you could have them just build you one.

I made this myself with 2" mandrel bends. Magnaflow cat, Cherry Bomb glasspack, and a Cherry Bomb "turbo" muffler at the end. It actually sounds good, and I have no complaints about power.

how it looked from a short distance:

I eventually had some random 4-1 header installed (perhaps a BBP, if I remember correctly) that needed slight modification to not rub the steering rack.

here's what it sounded like, at least on the dyno:

https://youtu.be/IYpCghBZgH0

I think all in, I was 75 for the header, 20 for a buddy to re-fab it, 20 for each muffler, 50 for the cat, 20 for straight pipe, and 40 for the bends. so, less than $250 bucks. I did the welding on it myself, not sure what a shop would cost. But there are shops around that do that all day long, and could probably have it done in a few hours for you.

if I were to get the pipe-dream setup, it would be the KBD header (never gonna happen) and the Legalis-R twin-exit long-muffler.

AxisZ
Club4AG Regular

Postby AxisZ » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:48 pm

I ran a 4-1 trd copy and a brave catback for a while and it was honestly not much louder than stock with the cat in place, 60mm good build quality with stockish appearance. I think I payed slightly under $600 shipped from japan through ep-importers. After switching to my 20v I currently have a martelius r1 header along with their 2.5'' exhaust, also good value but definitely louder and probably would attract more attention from cops. Only pic I have of the header:

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:18 pm

He said 'oem motor' which probably means 16v 4age or 4ac.

JDM and EDM specs usually provide the outer diameter (OD) of the exhaust pipe, while USDM usually provides inner diameter (ID). The size is similar comparatively, but still roughly a 4 mm difference. FWIW, HKS (50 mm), Fujitsubo (50 mm), Brave (60 mm) and Martelius (63.5 mm) all list their pipe specs by the OD. The pipe specs on the DIY 2" setup mentioned above is likely the ID since it was made in the US.

IMO 2.5"/63.5 mm OD pipe (spec of the Martelius R1) is WAY too big for a stock 16v. Even for a stock 20v it's larger than ideal. The Martelius R1 is a big racing header, their description even says 'the ultimate manifod for high tuned engines.' There will be a loss in low/mid range power on a stock engine either way, but more so with a 16v - it would be a absolute dog to drive.

I've got an oem ae86 engine (16v 4age). I've had a 4-1 TRD manifold (OBX 4-1 is a cheap copy) for 5 years on 4 different cbe systems. (FYI the TRD manifold causes a loss in low end power over the stock manifold.) I've had a stock cbe. I've had an HKS Sport cbe. Then a Brave 60 mm OD (2.25" ID) cat back exhaust, which caused me to loose even more low/mid range power. Finally, I grabbed a Fujitsubo LegalisR single tip (50 mm version) and restored the low/mid range power that I lost with the Brave. I live in a hilly area, and don't have to downshift as much up hills now with the Fujitsubo cbe compared to the Brave - I also no longer have to red line a gear WOT to stay in the power band.

saiGone
Club4AG Expert

Postby saiGone » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:13 am

There's a good review thread on AE86fightclub forums you should check out, here's a preview posted by Ronny

11+ exhausts compared w pictures

http://www.ae86fightclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=653

Misterjerk and Aaron you guys are both from NoVA too? I might know you guys in real life lol
Club 4AG member since 05 (Formally SaigonsSon)

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:43 pm

saiGone wrote:There's a good review thread on AE86fightclub forums you should check out, here's a preview posted by Ronny

11+ exhausts compared w pictures

http://www.ae86fightclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=653

Misterjerk and Aaron you guys are both from NoVA too? I might know you guys in real life lol

Thats an excellent review.

This look familiar?