Specific Driveshaft Question Auto vs Manual

CrunkGoat

Specific Driveshaft Question Auto vs Manual

Postby CrunkGoat » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:46 pm

Hey everyone, about to dive into my 5 speed swap on my 86 sr5 and have one question left.

Everyone says that you can't use the auto driveshaft and must use a manual one (SR5 or GTS depending on what rear you're using) but why is that?

I was told the same thing for a Datsun 510 auto to manual swap i did but all that needed to be done was shorten the driveshaft. Is that the case here or are the input shafts totally different or the auto trans longer?

See no need in trying to find a manual shaft if all mine needs is a little shortening

Thanks!

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Re: Specific Driveshaft Question Auto vs Manual

Postby grappletech » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:30 pm

The SR5 shaft is longer than the GTS shaft. So by theory you could just shorten it. here is a Thread from the archives that may help.
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=83790
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

CrunkGoat

Postby CrunkGoat » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:20 pm

grappletech wrote:The SR5 shaft is longer than the GTS shaft. So by theory you could just shorten it. here is a Thread from the archives that may help.
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=83790

It was my understanding that the sr5 1st part of the shaft is the same length but after the center bearing is longer due to the different rear ends. I'm still using the sr5 rear (for now) just getting rid of the auto for a manual while I decide what I'm eventually swapping in.

valenberg
Club4AG Regular

Postby valenberg » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:08 pm

Form my experience My sr5 was auto and at one point I swapped my diff for a gts diff and kept it auto for a bit and was able to use my auto drive shaft with my gts diff and auto trans . Then when I eventually swapped my auto trans for a manual one The part form the auto drive shaft that slides into the rear of trannny slides into the manual one also . The problem was that since the gts diff is bigger my auto drive shaft was a bit to long so cloud not bolt it back up to the diff so I bought a gts drive shaft . I think if I would have left my sr5 diff I would have been able to use my auto drive shaft with manual trans and sr5 diff

Jtek
Club4AG Regular

Postby Jtek » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:27 pm

Auto fits W58, so too big. SR5 is longer cause smaller diff, tho if you're in a pinch, SR5 does work on GTS with slight mods to carrier bearing. Sketch tho.

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:04 am

per Jondee86
GTS driveshaft + GTS rear axle = good
GTS driveshaft + SR5 rear axle = bad (driveshaft too short)
SR5 driveshaft + SR5 rear axle = good
SR5 driveshaft + GTS rear axle = bad (driveshaft too long)
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

assassin10000
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby assassin10000 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:59 am

Auto front half for AUTO trans.
Manual Front half for Manual trans.

Doesn't matter if SR5 or GTS, so you could make an auto GTS if you wanted

SR-5 rear half for SR-5 diff.
GTS rear half for GTS rear diff.