AE86 Brake Hardline

86_sr5321

AE86 Brake Hardline

Postby 86_sr5321 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:25 am

Hello,

Quick story, I've noticed while backing out my driveway, I pressed on the brakes and the brake pedal went all the way down. I check if I had a leak and noticed while I depressed the brake pedal, fluid was dripping out of the rear brake hardline. The specific hardline I am talking about is the hardline right before the splitter for the rear brake lines. Question, is the hardline 3/16"? Also, you would recommend replacing the entire hardline with stainless steel and if I did that will I need to acquire a specific adapter now? If not I can just replace the hardline with a similar OEM brake hardline kit. If anyone can give me any advice and direction, please let me know. Thanks

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Re: AE86 Brake Hardline

Postby grappletech » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:00 am

im actually not 100% sure however, most people order the entire SS kit once one fails. May be your bes bet to knock it out all at the same time.
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Re: AE86 Brake Hardline

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:41 pm

86_sr5321 wrote:Hello,

Quick story, I've noticed while backing out my driveway, I pressed on the brakes and the brake pedal went all the way down. I check if I had a leak and noticed while I depressed the brake pedal, fluid was dripping out of the rear brake hardline. The specific hardline I am talking about is the hardline right before the splitter for the rear brake lines. Question, is the hardline 3/16"? Also, you would recommend replacing the entire hardline with stainless steel and if I did that will I need to acquire a specific adapter now? If not I can just replace the hardline with a similar OEM brake hardline kit. If anyone can give me any advice and direction, please let me know. Thanks

Yes.....3/16" .......you say it is leaking at the hardline before the t-off on the rear axle housing? Is it at the fitting? Or is the leak on the actual hard line? Do you have a pic? The t-off should have a flexible rubber hose on it and that goes to a bracket that attaches to a hardline. If it is at the fitting.....you may need to just re tighten the fitting.....if that doesn't work then there may be enough brake line there to cut and re flare with a new fitting, Rather than replacing the entire line....that particular line is long and runs all the way to the front.