redtop motor problem

builtnotbought
Club4AG Enthusiast

redtop motor problem

Postby builtnotbought » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:42 pm

So I did a gts conversion on my sr5 hatch with a 7 ribs small port. The car is all wire up and finish, but it had some problems. Before I list some problems, I wanna explain what I did.
Idle control, and throttle body was clean, new spark plugs, timing is at 10 degree. And tps is set. New belts, no leak of air or fluids.
Problems, see if club4ag can help?
1. Motor have misfire
2. If car idles under 1000 rpm, the car dies
3. If I turn on headlights, the motor rpm drop. It feels weak, like the car is gonna die. ( I took off the negative wire off the battery to test if it's battery, but it didn't.
4. On a cold start, it takes several crank and flooring the gas to get a startup.

TiredToy
Club4AG Regular

Re: redtop motor problem

Postby TiredToy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:45 am

Hi built,
the first thing is to check, ( swap the AFM ),with a known good one.
the AFM acts just like a carb. so misfires that are not related to plugs, wires, and such are usually there.
there can be a dead spot or more in it. this will also make it hard to start.
there should be an electrical load idle up solenoid near the air box. make sure that's properly
connected both, electrically and the vacuum lines.
good luck

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:07 pm

#3 sounds like you don't have a working electrical idle up valve.

#4 sounds like you don't have a working cold start injector, or you deleted/blocked off your iacv.

However, since you're also having issues #1 and 2 they all could be related.

builtnotbought
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby builtnotbought » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 pm

thank you guys, i'll try to use my buddy''s parts out of his 4age to test out if that's the case.

builtnotbought
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby builtnotbought » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:25 pm

so i replace dizzy and afm with my buddy's parts, and it made no difference to the motor. the car seem to have just very slightly misfire,
HOWEVER, when i try to maintain a speed, for example manitaining 30 mph on the road, the motor seem to stall for a couple second and then throttle again (repeatily).
and the car would idle crazy if i try to let go of clutch going into gear(s). **for example going from neutral to gear 1, you need to rev a little and let go of clutch--> that's when the car idle crazy. (car dies if it falls below 1000rpm)

flipkc

Postby flipkc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:50 pm

What ECU are you running? Are you running stock bluetop injectors/electronics/computer?

builtnotbought
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby builtnotbought » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:37 pm

flipkc wrote:What ECU are you running? Are you running stock bluetop injectors/electronics/computer?

I can't tell the difference on the ecu bluetop or redtop, if the ecu have red writing then it's redtop right?? But i'm sure i have a blue top ecu, blue top electronic, blue top injectors.