T50 rebuild - replacement gears?

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

T50 rebuild - replacement gears?

Postby Jeonsah » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:01 am

I recently started having some grinding issues when shifting into second gear. I cracked open a couple extra mystery condition T50's to take a look at the condition of them. It looks like one of them has a bad second gear (syncro and collar teeth are both worn pretty good). The other looks to be in okay condition and shifts smoothly into second by hand. At the moment I am wondering if I should just take my time and rebuild one of these instead of throwing in another used one and hoping for the best.

Soooo.... I was wondering if anyone knew of any options for replacing the actual gears in the transmission? In my case I would like to have a new 2nd gear. After googling, it appears I can get the syncro and possibly the coller but not the gear. If you have rebuilt your T50, what did you do for your second gear?

Thanks!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Re: T50 rebuild - replacement gears?

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:46 am

A transmission rebuild is on the list for me, so i'm in here for info.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:44 am

You won't be able to buy an actual gear. The gear shouldn't be the problem, the collar and synchros are the ones to go first..

EIther way, I agree with many people who say every T50 grinds. But I highly doubt the actual gear itself is toast.. Do you have pics?
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:55 am

I will take a picture of the 2nd gears in the T50's I have opened up. If I am going to take the thing apart completely I would really feel a lot better about replacing the most used gear.

I read in a previous post that you can file the teeth on the gear back to shape. Has anyone done this and had success?

The only gears I have found for sale are from RHDJapan.com. They sell the trd ratio 2nd and 3rd. They also sell a complete cusco gear set.

Autohaus_Z
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Autohaus_Z » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:46 am

Gear shifting issues in a T50 are almost always due to worn teeth on the shift sleeves (what you guys are referring to as the "collars." If the dog teeth (where the sleeve engages with) on the gear look ok and the gear teeth itself are not broken or chipped, the gear should be ok to reuse.

Do not file a gear tooth back to shape. Filing is usually used to remove burrs or casting flash, but not to reshape a gear. By excessive filing you wear though the hardening.

New gear sets are obscenely expensive, I build a lot of T50's and I think you could argue that a W-series conversion would be less expensive than a full T50 build.
Owner. CM Autohaus LLC. San Jose, CA.
RnD/Product Testing. Battle Garage RS/Annex Suspension Group
Amsoil Dealer # 5615215
IG @Autohaus_Z for AE86 fun, T50 trans builds, and track life!
The Autohaus Podcast

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:50 am

Thanks Autohaus_Z. I am actually considering a w series transmission at the moment.

the85zenki
Club4AG Expert

Postby the85zenki » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:48 pm

If anyone interested, I have a complete T50 transmission rebuilt kit for sale. Pics upon request. Thanks
For faster respond
Calls or text #407-738-3686
May the force of 4age be with you