Carbed high comp 16v build

nyberrg
Club4AG Regular

Carbed high comp 16v build

Postby nyberrg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:21 pm

Hey!

I have some parts laying around that I thought I might put to use, so I would need some advice and tips.

Partslist:
Wiseco pistons (think it's their smallest oversize)
HKS 264/272 cams
TRD 0.8mm Headgasket
New valvesprings (unsure if stock or not)

I would be using these carburetors:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231517105300
And most likely ignition from the stock ECU

I have a smallport and a bigport engine, which would be best suitable and why?
Give me your thoughts and opinions as I'm not sure what results to expect.
Thanks!

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: Carbed high comp 16v build

Postby totta crolla » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:23 am

Expect maximum power to be about the same for either engine, 140 - 160hp
The smallport will probably produce a better torque curve.

nyberrg
Club4AG Regular

Postby nyberrg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:49 am

Are pistons different in bigport/smallport? Or rather the bolt connecting it to the conrod? Heard something about that..

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:31 pm

nyberrg wrote:Are pistons different in bigport/smallport? Or rather the bolt connecting it to the conrod? Heard something about that..

DEPENDS...... some bigports did use smaller(lighter) internals. You won't know what you have till you open it up....

I guess we could call the crankshaft in a bigport - Schrödinger's crank - it could be big, or small - you wont know till you open it up :lol:
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:19 pm

nyberrg wrote:I have a smallport and a bigport engine, which would be best suitable and why?

As suggested above, you really need to get inside the engines to see exactly what
you have, and if either or both of the blocks can be bored to suit your pistons. You also
need to check what size wrist pins are fitted to the Wiseco pistons. As for opinions,
I'll give you some of mine :)

Assuming that the same pistons are used in both blocks, I doubt that there would be
much difference in power output. BUT... you could expect the engines to FEEL a bit
different providing your bigport is the earlier version with smaller big ends and wrist pins.

The lighter internals give the bigport a free-revving character much like a motorcycle
engine. By comparison, the smallport feels a bit sluggish even though it will rev just as
high as the bigport. No big thing, and in the end I think the decision will be made by
what you can build from the parts you have available.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

nyberrg
Club4AG Regular

Postby nyberrg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:37 am

My pistons are 18mm wrist pin. From my research I found out that the smallport have a 20mm wrist pin. So the wiseco pistons will not fit the smallport conrods then, right?

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:46 pm

nyberrg wrote:My pistons are 18mm wrist pin. From my research I found out that the smallport have a 20mm wrist pin. So the wiseco pistons will not fit the smallport conrods then, right?

If "My pistons" = Wiseco, then you are correct. You would need to find either, a whole different crank, and rods(with 18mm small end), or get different pistons.

Do you have the spec sheet with these pistons? Do you have a few clear pics of them?

nyberrg
Club4AG Regular

Postby nyberrg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:29 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:
nyberrg wrote:My pistons are 18mm wrist pin. From my research I found out that the smallport have a 20mm wrist pin. So the wiseco pistons will not fit the smallport conrods then, right?

If "My pistons" = Wiseco, then you are correct. You would need to find either, a whole different crank, and rods(with 18mm small end), or get different pistons.

Do you have the spec sheet with these pistons? Do you have a few clear pics of them?

No pictures as of now. My bigport engine is supposed to have smallport pistons in it according to the person who built it. If that's true then it must also have a smallport crank and conrods right? And the pistons that the same person bought new would be useless to both him and me without a bigport crank?

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:52 pm

nyberrg wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:

No pictures as of now. My bigport engine is supposed to have smallport pistons in it according to the person who built it. If that's true then it must also have a smallport crank and conrods right? And the pistons that the same person bought new would be useless to both him and me without a bigport crank?

likely... but not necessarily...

It is possible to use the earlier rotating assembly and have the small end of the rod opened up to accommodate a 20mm wrist pin - I have done this, it works.

What I have not seen is a con rod bushed to accept a smaller wrist pin.

nyberrg
Club4AG Regular

Postby nyberrg » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:22 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:
nyberrg wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:

likely... but not necessarily...

It is possible to use the earlier rotating assembly and have the small end of the rod opened up to accommodate a 20mm wrist pin - I have done this, it works.

What I have not seen is a con rod bushed to accept a smaller wrist pin.

So my best bet is that my bigport has a bigport crank so i can get new conrods that fit the pistons then...?

mr2mk1hero
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mr2mk1hero » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:27 am

nyberrg wrote:Hey!

I have some parts laying around that I thought I might put to use, so I would need some advice and tips.

Partslist:
Wiseco pistons (think it's their smallest oversize)
HKS 264/272 cams
TRD 0.8mm Headgasket
New valvesprings (unsure if stock or not)

I would be using these carburetors:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231517105300
And most likely ignition from the stock ECU

I have a smallport and a bigport engine, which would be best suitable and why?
Thanks!

I am building a bigport bike carb conversion engine and have already ordered the parts from your link from DanST. It will all be on my YouTube channel and my thread on this forum. An unboxing video of the full Dan ST kt will be published Tuesday next week and I will update the thread with all the details and pictures.

Here's my build plan video if you're interested:
https://youtu.be/86DH_1a43Hs
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwosUn ... xtqkNJ3Fbg
Check out my blog: http://www.driving4answers.com/
Heaps of 4A-GE and MR2 mk1 aw11 content on both.

mr2mk1hero
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mr2mk1hero » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:33 am

Here's the unboxing of the bike carb conversion kit as promised :)

https://youtu.be/HTZ9xo1LVEA
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwosUn ... xtqkNJ3Fbg
Check out my blog: http://www.driving4answers.com/
Heaps of 4A-GE and MR2 mk1 aw11 content on both.

nyberrg
Club4AG Regular

Postby nyberrg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:53 pm

mr2mk1hero wrote:Here's the unboxing of the bike carb conversion kit as promised :)

https://youtu.be/HTZ9xo1LVEA

Gonna be awesome info for my project, thanks!
Looks like I will have to buy new conrods if I want to upgrade my block so I might just do a refresh on the block and focus upgrades on carbs and the head..