New here, with a little problem.

AlexFourTwenty
Club4AG Regular

New here, with a little problem.

Postby AlexFourTwenty » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:17 am

I have an AE85 with a 20v silver top. Recently the car was open exhaust and I welded a pan muffler on. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it but after a couple days now I got this problem that it stumbles on light throttle even when it’s in neutral if I step on the throttle lightly there’s a certain rpm (cluster not functioning) where it just cuts and goes back up cuts and goes back up. Yet when I full throttle it goes away. Any 20v gurus can shed some light ?

jondee86

Re: New here, with a little problem.

Postby jondee86 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Sounds like the engine is cycling on the fuel cut. When the engine is idling it only takes
a tiny bit of throttle opening to let in enough air to raise the engine speed up to 2000rpm.
If the IDL switch in the TPS is still hasn't changed, the ECU thinks that the throttle is closed.

Closed throttle and rpm's above the fuel cut threshold and you get fuel cut. Engine speed
drops to below fuel return threshold (around 1400rpm) and the engine comes back to life.
Repeats for as long as you hold the throttle that small fraction open.

You need to check and reset the TPS to factory specification. These instructions should
work as the AE111 and the AE101 are the same as far as I know...
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/734180-post12.html

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

AlexFourTwenty
Club4AG Regular

Postby AlexFourTwenty » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks jondee86, really helpful! I’ll check it out tomorrow.

Sprite
Club4AG Regular

Postby Sprite » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:58 am

Yeah this is really helps John, since there is no English Silvertop manual available I'm always looking for these types of procedures to keep in my back pocket.
Rick

abdu91
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby abdu91 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:13 am

Its because of the high miles 4age that's normal for a 4age it does when its above 100k kms because of that vvt pulley. It does the missfire when its cold or not gone to the normal operating temperature right?
20v

abdu91
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby abdu91 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:17 am

And when you give full throttle it goes normal because all of your vvt system is attached to your throttle position sensor. When you push the throttle it the vvt kicks in and its okay. Don't worry about that just drive it or change the vvt pulley if you find it new anywhere
20v