Need help 4age not getting fuel

kuvyoghmoob
Club4AG Regular

Need help 4age not getting fuel

Postby kuvyoghmoob » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Before I did the motor swap, my car started and everything. After the swap, I can't get it to spray fuel. There is spark and I rechecked the timing. But I just can't get it to spray fuel.. Check the harness n grounds and everything seems fine because the motor I pulled out ran and started with no problems. I bought a Jdm blue top 4age and can't get the fuel pump to work. I'm sure that it is good. Is there a ground or relay that I could have missed. I also checked fuses and everything is good. Don't know how to run 12v to pump so now I'm stuck. It tries to start when I spray starter fluid in the throttle. Don't know how to use that voltage meter so I'm screwed lol... Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Zenki85
Club4AG Expert

Re: Need help 4age not getting fuel

Postby Zenki85 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 pm

There's a fuse in the kickpanel. I believe it's a 15 and just refer to the diagram on the panel. Also there's a relay when you put down you glovebox and reach in to the top right it's a bulky square yellow and black relay. That's all I can thing of

Goodluck!!!

NoobteamClassicccc
TEAM 'CLASSIC
A 'CLASSICALIFORNIACAR
Adriansadriano@yahoo.com - email

kuvyoghmoob
Club4AG Regular

Postby kuvyoghmoob » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 pm

Fuses check out fine and I even replaced them just in case. I am out out ideas.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 pm

make sure your engine intake and trans are grounded. also there is 4 brown wires connected to an eyelet that come out of your wiring harness around the injector plugs make sure that is bolted to the top of your intake manifold. if this isnt grounded your injectors will not open. if still no fuel check the cuircuit open relay behind the glove box
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Turtle
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Turtle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:23 pm

check your fuel pump. It could also not be working. try to listen for a sound in the back when you switch the key to 'on', or you can check the connection with a volt meter. the connection to the pump starts at the circuit open relay (COR). while you're there, check the COR. IIRC the live for that is BLU/BLK, but you need to make certain, I'm only going by memory.

R

kuvyoghmoob
Club4AG Regular

Postby kuvyoghmoob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Does anyone know how to run 12v to the fuel pump. Got a multiple meter but I don't know how to use it. Lol

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:04 pm

kuvyoghmoob wrote:Does anyone know how to run 12v to the fuel pump. Got a multiple meter but I don't know how to use it. Lol

just jump the cor relay it is black relay with a yellow plug. the cor relay plug has 5 wires one side has 2 the other side has 3. if you jump the side of the plug with 2 wires you will hear your pump start. if it doesnt start then your pump is bad.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

kuvyoghmoob
Club4AG Regular

Postby kuvyoghmoob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Do you happen to have any pictures of the relay that I'm suppose to jump?

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:06 pm

There is a relay behind the glove box, up and to the right like underneath the dash board and above the ECU. It is a black relay with a yellow connector with 5 wires going to it. Unplug the connector from the relay, grab a peice of wire. Jump/connect the BLK/RED wire and the BLU/BLK wire. The BLK/RED wire is battery power, the BLU/BLK is the fuel pump B+ wire. Doing this will give the fuel pump power at all times. This will at least let you know if the fuel pump is bad or not.

If the fuel pump is working and the car starts you need to find out next if the COR (circuit open relay aka fuel pump relay) is bad or if the AFM is bad.

Here's a wiring diagram:
http://files.aeu86.org/manuals/ewd-ae86-1986-usdm-parrot.pdf
Jump to page 22

The fuel pump relay (COR) operates just like any other relay, which is really just a switch. It is made of a coil and a switch contact. The coil needs a power and a ground to create the magnectic field that closes the switch. So you have power to the coil and ground to the coil, then you have your switch, which in this case gives power to the fuel pump. With our corollas, the AFM has a contact inside of it that provides that ground necessary for the coil to work and close the switch to give power to the pump. If the AFM is bad, the coil never gets a ground and the switch will never close. On the other hand, the AFM may be working fine but the coil is burned out.

Now going back to the COR, plug the connector back into the relay. Take your jumper wire again and use the wire to jump the contacts from the back of the plug instead of the front like you did before, you still want the plug connected. Jump the GRN/RED and WHT/BLK wires. This bypasses the AFM and gives the coil of the relay a ground instead of the AFM providing one. If the car starts now you have a bad AFM. If the car started in the first test, giving power to the pump all the time, but will not start after this second test, you have a bad COR.

Fixing problems bollywood style.
SwangBiz Corolla Chassis Parts and F20/F22C/4AGE Wiring Services
(we build stuff, I solder wires, we race corollas, then we get drunk)

Proud Supporter of JSPfab.com, BattleGarage, and Solo8 LED Solutions

kuvyoghmoob
Club4AG Regular

Postby kuvyoghmoob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Sweet let me try this and I'll update. Thanks guys

kuvyoghmoob
Club4AG Regular

Postby kuvyoghmoob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:19 pm

I tried jumping the wires and the pump did not engage. But when I took 12v to the pump then it worked. Tried to start the motor by jumping the pump straight to the battery but now it seems like the injectors are not working. Is there a relay or ground for the injectors. I know that there is one ground next to the injectors but what else can it be. I have like 3 COR and tried all o them so I doubt that that is the problem. I have an extra afm and tried that too. I am out of ideas.