Are the piston rings different on the hi comp pistons?

johnny_86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Are the piston rings different on the hi comp pistons?

Postby johnny_86 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi club4ag i wanted to know if the hi comp piston rings are different than the regular large port piston rings? i bought a set of NPR piston rings for the 4age and i try mounting them on the hi comp 16v pistons n the 1st piston ring is thicker and doesnt fit on there. so im stuck looking for some and dnt know where i can get some that fit the hi comp 16v piston. Can anyone give me a hand or a link to where i can get the proper rings for the 16v hi comp pistons?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Are the piston rings different on the hi comp pistons?

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 pm

johnny_86 wrote:Hi club4ag i wanted to know if the hi comp piston rings are different than the regular large port piston rings? i bought a set of NPR piston rings for the 4age and i try mounting them on the hi comp 16v pistons n the 1st piston ring is thicker and doesnt fit on there. so im stuck looking for some and dnt know where i can get some that fit the hi comp 16v piston. Can anyone give me a hand or a link to where i can get the proper rings for the 16v hi comp pistons?

I can't help you in regards to your actual question but I thought I would point out that the 4AGZE rings are thicker than the Largeport NA rings. The GZE rings are 1.5mm and the NA rings are 1.2 if I remember right.
You might make sure you didn't order GZE rings. It would also help if you measured the ring and the ring gap in the piston so we know exactly what difference we are looking at.

johnny_86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby johnny_86 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:10 pm

johnny_86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby johnny_86 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:18 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
johnny_86 wrote:Hi club4ag i wanted to know if the hi comp piston rings are different than the regular large port piston rings? i bought a set of NPR piston rings for the 4age and i try mounting them on the hi comp 16v pistons n the 1st piston ring is thicker and doesnt fit on there. so im stuck looking for some and dnt know where i can get some that fit the hi comp 16v piston. Can anyone give me a hand or a link to where i can get the proper rings for the 16v hi comp pistons?

I can't help you in regards to your actual question but I thought I would point out that the 4AGZE rings are thicker than the Largeport NA rings. The GZE rings are 1.5mm and the NA rings are 1.2 if I remember right.
You might make sure you didn't order GZE rings. It would also help if you measured the ring and the ring gap in the piston so we know exactly what difference we are looking at.

these are the ones i bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-89-TOYOTA-MR ... 41&vxp=mtr

DRIFTER
Club4AG Regular

Postby DRIFTER » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:02 am

Yes you will need the specific smallport piston rings. I bought mine from Toyota because, at the time, I had a VERY difficult time sourcing NPR rings for the small port pistons.

However! I have since learned that there is a specific generation of Honda Prelude that used the exact same rings. Find that generation and you might be laughing.

johnny_86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby johnny_86 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:43 am

DRIFTER wrote:Yes you will need the specific smallport piston rings. I bought mine from Toyota because, at the time, I had a VERY difficult time sourcing NPR rings for the small port pistons.

However! I have since learned that there is a specific generation of Honda Prelude that used the exact same rings. Find that generation and you might be laughing.

i actually found some that might fit im actually taking a wild guess but im trusting it i bought a set of 7afe NPR rings the sizes for them is 1.2mm 1.5mm and 2.8mm so imma mix match them. No doubt about it the first one that i need needs to 1.2 because the 1.5 didnt fit and the 2nd ring theres no change 1.5mm the last ring is what im not sure if its 2.8mm or 3.0mm so imma try both to see if which one fits one there good.

krammit the frog
Club4AG Regular

Postby krammit the frog » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Yes, when I ordered my set years ago, the hi comp rings were thinner IIRC.

I was able to get a set of perfect circle rings from some local rebuilder.

johnny_86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby johnny_86 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:00 pm

krammit the frog wrote:Yes, when I ordered my set years ago, the hi comp rings were thinner IIRC.

I was able to get a set of perfect circle rings from some local rebuilder.

I just received mines in the mail like an hour ago n i check the 1st ring fits perfect the second one is the same i havent tried the oil one. doesn any one know what size the oil one should be?

Evo_lucian
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Evo_lucian » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:47 pm

High comp ring measure 1.2mm for 1st compression ring and 1.5mm for 2nd compression rings. Bigport rings are 1.5 mm on both compression rings .