Im considering ITBs for my 16v, any help?

Hachiphil
Club4AG Regular

Im considering ITBs for my 16v, any help?

Postby Hachiphil » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Hello, I recently bought a clean 1987 Corolla GTS with a blown motor, Im having the motor rebuilt with Brian Crower rods, CP piston, HKS valve springs, ACL rod bearings, ARP heap studs, HKS head gasket and Kelford cams. Im looking to find out more information about Individual throttle bodies. What do I need to do? Is there a step by step write up?

Ratranger
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Im considering ITBs for my 16v, any help?

Postby Ratranger » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:33 pm

As far as I know there aren't any write ups. Basically unless you are changing enough that the stock ECU can't handle it, then there isn't an advantage to them. To run properly it needs a standalone ecu.

So parts needed: ITBs(silvertop is simplest), adapter, stacks or 20v airbox, air filter, standalone ecu(with associated parts), and time.

I have them on a 16v, tuning idle took a while, finally have it where drivability is good. I'm using megasquirt2 v3 to control it. So I can say on a fairly stock engine ITBs give no gain other than looks.
4age bigport in a 73 spitfire

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:39 pm

Hachiphil wrote:Hello, I recently bought a clean 1987 Corolla GTS with a blown motor, Im having the motor rebuilt with Brian Crower rods, CP piston, HKS valve springs, ACL rod bearings, ARP heap studs, HKS head gasket and Kelford cams. Im looking to find out more information about Individual throttle bodies. What do I need to do? Is there a step by step write up?

There are write ups here and other places. A google search should find you a lot of info as well as searching this board.

I would like to address a couple things. I'll start with the ITBs since that's the topic. It sounds like your build is pretty mild. If you are staying under 8500 RPM and a 272ish cam you will not see gains from the ITBs that would justify the expense. It would more or less be for appearance and or sound. If you are okay with that then go for it. As Ratranger said it's not practical to try to get them running on the stock ECU.

Now for the rest of the build.
Which CP pistons? I believe my new design to be better than anything else on the shelf. If you told me more about your build I might be able to suggest something. Unless you are at a level where a custom piston would be better.
I wouldn't use the HKS springs. They don't have specs on them so the best we are left with is testing that people in the community have done and those results don't make them look great.
The spring can depend on the cam but if we are looking at springs in a similar ballpark to the HKS my recommendation are the TED springs.
http://www.matrixgarage.com/products/te ... ve-springs
Another great option are the Toda springs.
http://www.matrixgarage.com/products/to ... ve-springs

HKS headgaskets are only offered in 1.6mm and 2mm anymore. The only reason anyone would ever want to run one is if for some reason they shaved 1mm+ too much off their block.
Cometic and Toda offer great head gaskets in a variety of thicknesses. I can get both.
Which cams are you looking at? Have you gotten them already?

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:23 am

Hey Phil... welcome to club4AG :)

While it is true that ITB's may not produce any measureable improvement on the dyno
with a stock engine, they do improve the engines throttle response. It is also arguable
that individual throttles help ensure each cylinder receives the same cylinder charge,
and in this way contribute to even cylinder loading and a little more power.

However, ITB's come into their own on engines with high compression and big cams.
As such, they should be considered as part of an upgrade that helps the other upgrade
components reach full potential. And as said, to get the best from an upgrade that
includes cams and ITB's, you should be installing aftermarket management.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Hachiphil
Club4AG Regular

Postby Hachiphil » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:30 am

Ok, it seems that the ITBs are not needed at this point. Can anyone recommend a decent header?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:51 am

To be honest aftermarket headers are about as useful as ITBs in your situation. The stock unit is very well designed and is capable of supporting power. People only replace them because they're prone to cracking due to age, they're ugly, and heavy.

If your car is RHD you have plenty of header options. Almost everything for LHD likely performs worse than stock - the good stuff costs $1500+ and you need at least a moderately tuned up engine to even make them really usable (otherwise you'll have no low end or mid range). If you're engine is tuned up that much you'll likely already have a standalone ecu (and ITBs) anyway.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:28 pm

Hachiphil wrote:Ok, it seems that the ITBs are not needed at this point. Can anyone recommend a decent header?

Yep header is probably not going to be a huge benefit but it totally depends on your build. That's partly why I was asking about how far you were pushing the build and what your goals are.
The other reason I asked is that you can gain more power by pairing the proper parts and work than you will by things like IHE. If we don't know exactly what your plans are and how you are trying to go about doing it we can't be of much help at all.