Questions and Spark Plug covered in oil

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Questions and Spark Plug covered in oil

Postby Swooki » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Hey guys I have an issue and couple questions. So I just pulled out one of the spark plugs and it was covered in oil. I assumed it was because the grommet was ripped so i bought a valve cover gasket kit + grommet for my 4AGE.

1) Since i'm taking off the valve cover and doing valve cover gasket and grommet change. What is the torque specs when i screw on the bolts again to tightened the valve cover? Is there even any can i just tighten it until its tight?

2) and also do i need to put RTV silicone on the grommet area and around valve cover? If yes, where specifically?

3) This is the spark plug that was covered in oil.

3) This is the new sparkplugs i bought is it correct for my 16v 4AGE? BCPR5EIX-11

4) Lastly, planning to change my oil. What oil do you guys use? I have 182k miles. And what filter is reccomended? It's mostly a mess around car and sometimes daily. I go to the canyons atleast once a week.

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Questions and Spark Plug covered in oil

Postby SgtRauksauff » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:09 am

I'd verify this, because I'm not at home and don't have my books:

1: I think it's small, like 9-10 lb-ft.
2: with "good" gaskets, no. but if you really really want to, a very thin amount in the 'corners' where the camshaft sticks out.
4: I use 0W-30 or 5W30 amsoil synthetic since break-in. Never had problems burning it. I feel the 0W- gives better protection on start-up. I've never got around to sending it in for analysis though.

s24a
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby s24a » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:48 am

Sgt Rauksauff I think answer question 1.
For question 2 (what oil filter) the Toyota brand is one I use.
BUT, I think any premium filter such as WIX or Bosch should also be good.
Stay away from FRAM filters, as they are glued together and are prone to QC issues. :shock:
Cut one apart to see what I am talking about. :roll:
Also, their anti-drainback valve is poorly made.
"When the going gets, wierd, the Wierd turn Pro" -- Hunter S. Thompson

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:50 am

SgtRauksauff wrote:I'd verify this, because I'm not at home and don't have my books:

1: I think it's small, like 9-10 lb-ft.
2: with "good" gaskets, no. but if you really really want to, a very thin amount in the 'corners' where the camshaft sticks out.
4: I use 0W-30 or 5W30 amsoil synthetic since break-in. Never had problems burning it. I feel the 0W- gives better protection on start-up. I've never got around to sending it in for analysis though.

1. Is it okay if i just tighten it normally? I do not have a torque wrench. Also how hard do i tighten the spark plugs? is there a specific torque spec?
2. okay i'll put a little around the camshaft where it goes up and down.
3. Is the sparkplug i got from autozone correct for my 4AGE 16V?
4. I heard that i should never use synthetic but conventional instead?

s24a wrote:Sgt Rauksauff I think answer question 1.
For question 2 (what oil filter) the Toyota brand is one I use.
BUT, I think any premium filter such as WIX or Bosch should also be good.
Stay away from FRAM filters, as they are glued together and are prone to QC issues. :shock:
Cut one apart to see what I am talking about. :roll:
Also, their anti-drainback valve is poorly made.

I was going to get the http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Par ... xyIYhSYTas because i watched a video saying this is the right one(long one) to get that's correct for 4AGE 16V.

What do you think about STP brand?

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:42 am

1. I do and just did and never had any issues. If you are that worried torque them to spec like Sgt Rauksauff said.
3. Yes they are iridium tipped. You might want to double check the gaps though.
4. I only used conventional 10/30 and it works for me.

Techno Toy Tuning sells Toyota oil filters too.
https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86 ... zz-engines

I've used these in the past with no issues.

s24a
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby s24a » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:04 am

Here are a video that show basic construction details on the filters.
Not sure of actual STP version you are thinking about, but the more premium version is better than the base model.
Note that the FRAM is made completely of glued cardboard and has the least filtration media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrAbxCZlZpE

Here is a video that shows some other premium oil filters (for a Honda) that is somewhat interesting.
Has a chart you can use but shows some different construction techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfjt_cRTlFI
"When the going gets, wierd, the Wierd turn Pro" -- Hunter S. Thompson

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SgtRauksauff » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:25 am

I just use WIX or Purolator filters myself. Direct from Toyota can't hurt either, although they're just some bulk filter that's been rebranded for Toyota. I don't remember which manufacturer though...

I believe spark plug is 13 lb-ft.

I use a 3/8" torque wrench that has lb-in on it, since my 1/2" drive torque wrench starts at 20.

10 and 13 lb-ft is more than snug, but less than "tight", and everyone has a different perception on what those are. Maybe use just an extension to tighten by hand as much as possible, then put the ratchet on and give a quarter-turn. That might get you in the ballpark without getting overly tight.

--sarge

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:43 pm

aukword1 wrote:1. I do and just did and never had any issues. If you are that worried torque them to spec like Sgt Rauksauff said.
3. Yes they are iridium tipped. You might want to double check the gaps though.
4. I only used conventional 10/30 and it works for me.

Techno Toy Tuning sells Toyota oil filters too.
https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86 ... zz-engines

I've used these in the past with no issues.

1. I will tighten it normally.

2. What do you mean by the GAP? EDIT: Yep it was 1.3 lol i need 1.1.. so i just bought Denso IK20 Iridium power on Ebay (ones i currently have)

3. I will use 10/30 then. thanks

s24a wrote:Here are a video that show basic construction details on the filters.
Not sure of actual STP version you are thinking about, but the more premium version is better than the base model.
Note that the FRAM is made completely of glued cardboard and has the least filtration media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrAbxCZlZpE

Here is a video that shows some other premium oil filters (for a Honda) that is somewhat interesting.
Has a chart you can use but shows some different construction techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfjt_cRTlFI
/

Okay i will check this video out man!!

SgtRauksauff wrote:I just use WIX or Purolator filters myself. Direct from Toyota can't hurt either, although they're just some bulk filter that's been rebranded for Toyota. I don't remember which manufacturer though...

I believe spark plug is 13 lb-ft.

I use a 3/8" torque wrench that has lb-in on it, since my 1/2" drive torque wrench starts at 20.

10 and 13 lb-ft is more than snug, but less than "tight", and everyone has a different perception on what those are. Maybe use just an extension to tighten by hand as much as possible, then put the ratchet on and give a quarter-turn. That might get you in the ballpark without getting overly tight.

--sarge

Yeah i was gonna just tighten it by hand then use a ratchet to tighten it as much as i can until i feel like force coming back to me then ill give it a quick turn and there.