4AFE vs 4AGE Oil Pump

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

4AFE vs 4AGE Oil Pump

Postby ChakaRaka » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:02 pm

HI Guys,

New to the updated forum. Well I am most of the way through my 16v Small Port (Hi Comp) 4A-GE (3rd gen) Red Top rebuild. Just as I put the timing covers on and installed the crank pulley I noticed that the pulley was rubbing on the lower timing cover. So off came the pulley and I removed the timing covers to find out why they were sitting out from where they should be. It was then that I held the grimy old metal filled oil pump up next to my new shiny freshly installed Aisin one. What the @#$% the right edge where the lower timing cover meets was not the same shape. Okay now I know why the timing cover won't sit as far in as it should.

I have done tons of research on the various 4AGE's so I knew about 3 or 4 different versions of the oil pump. Well I went back to my notes and realized that this might not even be a 4AGE pump. The (reputable) online vendor that I bought it from messed up my rings and rod bearings, sending me 4AFE ones (from what I gathered). I finally sourced the correct ones and now it looks like they also sent me a 4AFE oil pump. They do not use conventional (see also: real) part numbers like RockAuto etc, so this took some legwork to find out that it was an early to mid 90's AFE oil pump. Okay that makes sense that it would bolt up and not be apparent until the stage I got to considering is is almost the same block.

Now the FSM that I am working from covers both the AFE and AGE logically and lists oil pressure for both as being the same. Now I know that pressure does not equal volume, nor are the 4AFE's usually as high revving as the AGE's. Plus being a 3rd gen it features the oil squirters. I have searched high and low for specs on what the differences may be between the AFE's oil pump and the AGE's oil pump with no success. All I have found other than pressure are the rebuild tolerances and descriptions of different gear designs.

Having just sealed the pan and hoping to deliver this car in the next week, I thought wouldn't it be amazing if the specs were the same and all I had to do is either modify the lower timing cover or source the one that fits this pump. This is just a stock rebuild for a daily driver, not a track car or powerhouse running at the top of its potential. That being said, I am not one to cut corners or half ass things.

Does anyone have definitive info on these two different oil pumps and their specifications? I have a feeling that I am going to have to backtrack and get the correct pump in there, as anything less would be too easy and convenient. I would love to know from those of you who know whether I have options on this or if the 4AFE's pump is either too low flow or too flimsy for the 4AGE. Exchanging it will be a major PITA not just because of the work I will have to redo but also because it was purchased quite a long time ago and they still list the same pump as the correct one on their parts look-up. So even if they refund me, I have to source a new one elsewhere, as I have lost all confidence in this site's technical knowledge and error margin. So if I DO indeed have to tear it back down and swap it out, I would love part/casting numbers for the correct (best revision) of the 4AGE Aisin oil pump.

I look forward to all your feedback and thank you all in advance for the assistance and surviving my long winded post.

:D

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: 4AFE vs 4AGE Oil Pump

Postby allencr » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:17 pm

For a street engine, I'd only be concerned about a difference mounting the belt tension idler, other then it being a possibly weak counterfeit knockoff.
It's not like there's a different capacity required because one is a 4 cyl & the other is a V8 with hydraulic lifters.

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:32 am

All the rest of the geometry is the same as far as mounts etc. The timing belt tensioner is in exactly the same spot, so the belt tensioned beautifully. This is an Aisin Pump (see also: Factory Toyota with Toyota logo ground off) and was purchased from a "reputable" online auto parts vendor, so it is not an eBay counterfeit. It just simply is the AFE not AGE pump. I hear what you are saying about the 4-banger vs. V-8 analogy but there are enough differences between the two motors (block aside) to warrant my caution here. I have read about the first version of the AGE pump failing and the subsequent revisions, so I worry that the AFE pump is very similar to the 1st version of the AGE pump. The only things that make me think that I may be able to safely run it are the fact that in my AFE/AGE manual, they do not list two sets of specs, just one for both engines and then secondly, the fact that the AWD Corolla (AFE) and GTS (AGE) both run a nearly identical oil cooler. That being said, the AFE does not have oil squirters or an external oil return like the AGE does. These things make me wonder about a volume different and one that might be significant enough. I was really hoping that one of the gurus on here might have volume specs because I cannot find them anywhere.

Maybe a photo will help:

Mounted to the engine is the 4AFE oil pump. Casting on the front: Aisin 10

In my hand is one of the 2 duplicate 4AGE oil pumps that I had from the donor motors. Casting on the front: Aisin S1

As you can see, the only visible difference from the outside is that the cast lip where the lower timing cover meets on the right edge is a straighter shot on the 4AFE and on the 4AGE it curves out around the outside of the top right bolt.

:?

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:27 am

Does it or does it not have the later style gearoter pump with rounded lobes, not the early squared off lobes????????
Also the same or different width & diameter?
//
//

//
Post with comparison & dimensions - Thanks Toymods!
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-c ... -pump.html

Also, a pump should Never be used without being disassembled, deburred and lubed, factory new - aftermarket - whatever!

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:44 pm

allencr wrote:Also, a pump should Never be used without being disassembled, deburred and lubed, factory new - aftermarket - whatever!

Curious about this. I have a new OEM oil pump (smallport part # I believe) that I picked up for my turbo build.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:49 pm

allencr wrote:Does it or does it not have the later style gearoter pump with rounded lobes, not the early squared off lobes????????
Also the same or different width & diameter?
//
//

//
Post with comparison & dimensions - Thanks Toymods!
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-c ... -pump.html

Also, a pump should Never be used without being disassembled, deburred and lubed, factory new - aftermarket - whatever!

Honestly I did not open it. I used to do that being somewhat OCD myself, but I have never got an Aisin pump that needed anything like deburring, I just lube them and slap them on nowadays. And in this case I wish I did open it, because I didn't get to see what type of gears were inside. Although I have part numbers for it: Aisin #OPT-032 / Toyota #15100-15050 (But also says #15100-15066) on another part of the box.

I cannot find much info other than it is listed for this car (1990 Corolla GTS manufactured 12/89) on a Toyota parts lookup I have, but also some 4A-FE's that came out a few years after this car. Now I am thinking that the two old ones that I have that match are possibly the ones that are listed for the 20v with Toyota #15100-19036 (Aisin #OPT-036). The casting on the front of the old ones (as seen in my photo in the previous post) is "AISIN S1" and the new (possibly incorrect one) is cast with "AISIN 10".

The 19036 one is at least twice the price of the one I currently have, but like I said, the 15050 is listed for mine but with a footnote once again about 4AF, but there was not another one listed for 4AG other than the 20v version. I have read some of the other comparisons online, Bills, Hachiroku etc but none that seem conclusive or have definite part numbers. So I remain confused. I'll probably pull it this weekend and have a look, but I am trying to figure out which one I need to order if I do have to replace it.

:?
Last edited by ChakaRaka on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Rogue-AE95 wrote:
allencr wrote:Also, a pump should Never be used without being disassembled, deburred and lubed, factory new - aftermarket - whatever!

Curious about this. I have a new OEM oil pump (smallport part # I believe) that I picked up for my turbo build.

Rogue, what part number does yours have?

I just looked on ToyoDIY by VIN and they list the 19036 solely. We might have the correct part number now, but why the heck was the other 15050 listed on Toyota dealer sites?
:evil:

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:02 pm

So I went back to the online Aisin catalogue and they list OPT-097 based on the Make/Model/Year/Engine code and I only had one hit in google for that one trying to find the Toyota number. It listed it as Toyota #15100-15020, which it also said was 1A/4A in the engine notes. Never has sourcing an oil pump been this convoluted and not being able to find any detailed specs, I think I might have to play it safe and order the 19036.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:44 pm

ChakaRaka wrote:
Rogue-AE95 wrote:

Rogue, what part number does yours have?

15100-19036

I bought it from someone on this forum, probably last year, before the forum crash.

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks Rogue, I'm sold. I am ordering that one. I can't find a high res photo from a vendor, but it sure looks like the only correct one. Thanks again.

Crownvicman289
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Crownvicman289 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:35 pm

SP pump =/= BP pump, the gears are different to feed the squirters. My biggest concern here would be if the AFE pumps used cast gears vs. forged for AGE pumps or something along those lines. I'd be willing to bet that the gears have the BP tooth count for the AFE though, it simply doesn't need the volume that a squirter does. Even then, if you don't properly beat on it it might never matter either way.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 am

For what it's worth, these are the oil pump gears that came out of a 1987 GT-S coupe's 7-rib non-squirter 4A-GE:

And these are the gears from a 1997 4A-FE (a 7-rib block, interestingly enough):

I know there are a few different versions of the 4A-GE oil pump gears, but I'm not sure how often we see 4A-FE stuff being posted. The '88-'92 gears might be different.

Edit: quick search and I found this old topic:
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=44042

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:04 am

ONLY buy Toyota oil pumps.........
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:13 am

Crownvicman289 wrote:SP pump =/= BP pump, the gears are different to feed the squirters. My biggest concern here would be if the AFE pumps used cast gears vs. forged for AGE pumps or something along those lines. I'd be willing to bet that the gears have the BP tooth count for the AFE though, it simply doesn't need the volume that a squirter does. Even then, if you don't properly beat on it it might never matter either way.

That's just it, only one way to know it seems. Unfortunately I am not into being a guinea pig on this one. Ordering a new pump today.

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:15 am

Rogue-AE95 wrote:For what it's worth, these are the oil pump gears that came out of a 1987 GT-S coupe's 7-rib non-squirter 4A-GE:

And these are the gears from a 1997 4A-FE (a 7-rib block, interestingly enough):

I know there are a few different versions of the 4A-GE oil pump gears, but I'm not sure how often we see 4A-FE stuff being posted. The '88-'92 gears might be different.

Edit: quick search and I found this old topic:
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=44042

Rogue,

Thanks for the photos. I will open the new one and old one when the new one arrives and post some photos.

I did actually read the old link you posted before I made this thread. I found that there was a lot of conjecture, but no firm conclusions drawn in that thread. So it left me as confused as when I found it. So I made this thread in the hopes that we can find some more answers on this.

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:18 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:ONLY buy Toyota oil pumps.........

You mean like the Aisin ones that I DO buy currently? You must be aware that Aisin makes the factory/dealer ones. The only difference is that the Aisin sourced ones have the cast Toyota logo ground off and the price is about 1/3 of what the dealer wants for the same thing...

And no, I do not buy Aisin ones off eBay, only major suppliers. That way I know I am not getting a knock-off.

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:14 pm

I wonder if Toda gears would fit in the later AFE pump housing.
And I wonder if the gears are different for the oil pumps which are provisioned for crank sensors.
Pursuing the ideal

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:09 pm

I have searched this extensively. Some of the variations over the years on this pump also featured different thicknesses/depths of gears, so I am doubtful. I ordered a new one. Maybe I will open them both up and compare them. I may eBay the one AFE one because I don't see myself owning one of those motors, with an 8th Gen Corolla in the stable already...

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:03 pm

ChakaRaka wrote:

You mean like the Aisin ones that I DO buy currently? You must be aware that Aisin makes the factory/dealer ones. The only difference is that the Aisin sourced ones have the cast Toyota logo ground off and the price is about 1/3 of what the dealer wants for the same thing...

And no, I do not buy Aisin ones off eBay, only major suppliers. That way I know I am not getting a knock-off.

so nieve..... maybe... someday... you will understand.

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:49 pm

I'll have to agree with Dan about this one.

Because there are variations of pumps which fit the A-series engines, it's very likely you won't know exactly what you are getting. When getting a pump from Toyota you know what you are getting.

I DO tend to suggest Aisin for parts when available, such a water pumps. Beck/Arnley tends to carry Aisin.
Pursuing the ideal

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:45 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:
ChakaRaka wrote:

so nieve..... maybe... someday... you will understand.

Hey at least I can both spell naive and explain myself and backup my reasoning asshat.

What is your point here Oldskewltoy? Aisin makes the damn pumps the dealer sells, with the same part numbers. If you have something to add, do so. If you are just here to hate, then go elsewhere. Pull that high and mighty crap, sheeit, I probably have t-shirts older than you. Check the redundant ego unless you have some knowledge to share...

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:50 pm

burdickjp wrote:I'll have to agree with Dan about this one.

Because there are variations of pumps which fit the A-series engines, it's very likely you won't know exactly what you are getting. When getting a pump from Toyota you know what you are getting.

I DO tend to suggest Aisin for parts when available, such a water pumps. Beck/Arnley tends to carry Aisin.

I did my research both in Toyota parts catalogues and toyodiy. I don't see what spending another $200 is going to do as far as getting something better. And I am very familiar with B/A and what they carry. I am not ordering a Beck pump, I am ordering an Aisin one. Beck/Arnley featured us as their shop of the month last year...I am very familiar with them.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:29 pm

I'm not even trying to figure out what you want anymore, I'd thought it was a cam belt cover that mated and assurance that it would meet your engine lube needs, but that ain't it, measuring gearoters & radius/deburring relief valve & cleaning out manufacturing swarf/smegma also ain't it.
No one on this forum can cure the wild hair that amazingly has worked its way up through your brain.
Goodluck.

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 am

ChakaRaka wrote:
burdickjp wrote:I'll have to agree with Dan about this one.

I did my research both in Toyota parts catalogues and toyodiy. I don't see what spending another $200 is going to do as far as getting something better. And I am very familiar with B/A and what they carry. I am not ordering a Beck pump, I am ordering an Aisin one. Beck/Arnley featured us as their shop of the month last year...I am very familiar with them.

If you are certain the pump in the box is what it says it is, then I don't see any reason not to. It can be hard to identify that, though.
Pursuing the ideal

ChakaRaka
Club4AG Regular

Postby ChakaRaka » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:26 am

It shouldn't be too hard to identify. Aisin casts a number on there other than the Toyota or Aisin part numbers. That can be one point of reference, gear design will be a second. It doesn't hurt that I have three original ones kicking around the shop from the donor motors. The problem is the parts catalogues and lack of consistent information for cross referencing. My part vendor has urged me not to order the one I just did because it doesn't match their reference either. Then you go on a Toyota dealer parts site and the one I ordered is listed for the 20v of that year (WTF, we never even got those in North America). So I placed the order, it shipped today and I will add some concrete info and photos to this thread when it arrives. That is if I am not flamed to death by a mob of trolls with no tangible knowledge to contribute... :roll:

Crownvicman289
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Crownvicman289 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:04 pm

As an FYI, Melling copied the SP's pump design, but the gears have chamferred edges vs Toyota's sharp edges.

Melling

Toyota

Of course this says nothing of the materials used, and the casting of the Melling is noticeably rougher, but it's what I used in Okinawa and it seemed to work. The Melling is currently employed on my non-squirter block in my Corolla.

chi-town
Club4AG Expert

Postby chi-town » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:00 am

I'm interested in this for the crank sensor part of it. I would like to run an actual crank mounted sensor to show deflection from cam to crank sensor.
Coupe BT 20v #functionoverform

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:44 pm

The OEM vs Aisin came up on the MR2OC a while back. Generally I wouldn't pay the extra for an OEM pump either but just because it's the same manufacturer or even the same part number stamped on it does not guarantee it's identical.
Like burdickjp said it could be a different revision. It could be a pump that was sitting on someones shelf for who knows how long and is a design that was revised for a good reason.

Beyond that there is the question of tolerances. Many people don't understand that no part can ever be made perfect. Everything that is cast, forged, formed, machined or anything else will always have slight variance to it. For this reason manufacturers put tolerances on parts. If it's within spec it goes out. If it's out of spec it goes through a process to see if it can be worked into spec. If it can't it goes into the trash can.

Now the thing is different companies can put their own tolerances on a part. When Toyota designs and specs the oil pump gears they might spec the thickness 8mm +- .005mm. Asin takes the job and starts making pumps. Some they sell to Toyota and some they sell under their own name. Now they can make their own spec on parts. So let's say they make the tolerance +- .01mm. Now any oil pump that doesn't pass Toyota's spec goes down the Aisin packaging line unless it doesn't meet their spec. Toyota could say that they won't accept parts that have been worked into spec. Aisin on the other hand might be fine with reworking parts into spec.
Now I don't know that this does happen in this situation but it is common practice when a company makes parts for multiple companies or makes them for a company and also sells them under their name.
This doesn't necessarily mean the part is inferior. I have worked in manufacturing with OEMs and military enough to know that they often put tighter tolerances on a part than needed and no matter who tells them it's unnecessary they may leave it. This can leave room for the manufacturer to loosen the tolerance meaning easier manufacturing and less scrapped parts. They then sell those parts under their name or another name.
Now this probably isn't very important to most people in most situations. I just always have to point it out because of the people who post 100% convinced that the two different parts are identical. There is no way we can know that.
I mean I suppose if we bought 100 OEM pumps and 100 aftermarket Aisins from various vendors and sent them through an in depth inspection and measurement process but even then 5 years down the road the results might not be the same.

Here's a question. Has anyone noticed anything fishy with Aisin pumps lately?
I just found a source for them a couple weeks ago. I told a customer I could get them and offered a good price. He comes back and shows me that rockauto is offering the Aisin pump for less than I could get it for. At that point about two weeks ago they were going on ebay for like $120.
Now there is no Aisin pump on rock auto for the 4AGE. On ebay there are only a couple left and they are between $60 and $90.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:32 pm

So here's something interesting.
I started punching different numbers into searches to see what came up. Unfortunately I have been using ebay and amazon for fitment because I don't know of any legitimate way to look up trustworthy application data.

OPT-031
http://www.amazon.com/Aisin-OPT031-Engi ... ds=opt-031
4AFE
4AGE
4AC
Up to about 1990

4AFE

4AFE

7AFE

7AFE

Now this is the one that really caught my attention.
4AGE and 4AFE from 1985 to 1989.
So why 031 and 036 for the same application?
Maybe one is the newer revision?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/compat ... &carId=003

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Reason to buy ONLY OEM.......

Aisin housings can be bored to different depths.... shallower depth = similar pressure... less volume... but maybe... enough volume. Material the pump gears are made from. One material for Toyota... another might be good enough...

When you pump THOUSANDS of dollars into an engine.... buying crap aftermarket for a crucial part... just doesn't make sense.