4A-GE and 3S-GE: Weight Comparison of Peripherals and Engine
by Sam Crosse (submitted 10/2004)
- I work at a calibration lab in Queensland, Australia. I just took home our 500kg weighing standard and did some measurements.
- A 4AGE small port Aussie AE92 complete (no clutch or exhaust manifold) can no alternator bracket (up to 5kg depending on model) was 110.6kg
- A RWD 3SGE complete (no clutch or exhaust manifold, but alternator mounted) was 129.0kg
- So the 3SGE into a AE86 is 18.4kg heavier (or around 14kg heavier with factory 4AGE alternator bracket)
- The W gearbox is up to 20kg heavier though.
- Also I weighed some extractors.
- Imported mandrel off the shelf 4AGE extractors from Japan came in at 4.63kg - comparable to factory manifold if not lighter
- Custom huge mandrel 3SGE RWD extractors came in at 7.90kg!!
Here is some weighing I have done previously on other equipment:-
- K40 Gearbox 25kg
- W55 Gearbox 43kg
- T50 Gearbox ??
- 4K Complete 109kg
- 4AGZE Short Block 83kg
- 4AGZE Big port head 21kg
- 4AGZE Charger 11kg
- 4AGZE Alternator and bracket 11kg (1/2 alternator, ½ Bracket!)
- Total minus intake 126kg
- RA60 Caliper 5.00kg
- RA60 Disc 4.20kg
- Total 9.20kg
- Z32 Caliper 3.62kg
- Z32 Disc 7.70kg
- Total 11.32kg
Interesting that a 4K is mearly a couple of kg less then a 4AGE!!
Thanks foxtail (sam) Mirc #AE86