3SGE Beams Question

Engmus
Club4AG Enthusiast

3SGE Beams Question

Postby Engmus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:07 am

Greetings,

Inquire about the 3SGE Beams, specifically the 5th Generation MT version (Blacktop).

Can a built (top and bottom) N\A 3S engine provide a daily driverable 250whp, reliably.

I know that a full race spec 3S engine existed that had a maximum output of 300whp at close to 9k RPM, but that is obviously not a realistic goal.

Thanks for the input

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: 3SGE Beams Question

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Daily Drivable and reliable are completely relative to the individual.
Are you looking for 200k miles or 20k miles?
Do you mind driving a relatively high strung motor that makes most of it's power closer to redline?

If it was well built and you drove it nice I would say it should be pretty reliable. Power in the mid range should be decent and still out pull most NA 4A builds.

Now with that said it will take a good bit of money to gain that 50 HP. I could never justify it. If you already have a 4AGE you could have a turbo 4A that would be as fast for half the money.
I feel the same way about the beams as I do the 20V 4As. They come pretty high strung from the factory. If you aren't going to be happy with their stock power level and don't plan to boost it then generally it's just not worth it.
Want 250 HP? Do a 1GR or 2GR swap. That thing stock running on regular would wreck a built beams and it probably only weighs a few pounds more.
A 4AGTE or 3SGTE would both eat a 3SGE for less money.

BattleGarage_RS
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BattleGarage_RS » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:48 pm

BEAMS blacktop engines rule. Dual VVTi on both intake and exhaust allow for a RIDICULOUS power band, from 2K up to redline. If you want instant torque at just about any speed, and still have something that revs out, BEAMS is pretty sweet. F20C will deliver an extra 40HP stock, but once you have a stand alone and ITB's, the BEAMS actually plants more WHP and far more torque in total, across the band.
The tuning spirit of the 90's is alive again!

AE86 parts 24/7 :arrow: http://shop.battlegarage-rs.com

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:06 pm

1. Fast
2. Reliable
3. Cheap

you can only choose two
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap