AW11 engine management

FrgtnKnt

AW11 engine management

Postby FrgtnKnt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:17 am

Looking for some info as to what kind of engine management I should run in my AW11. I am planning on my build to be in the 250-300HP range. Was looking at AEM standalones but I see alot of people running megasquirt. Anyway can someone help me or point me in the right direction.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: AW11 engine management

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:21 pm

The biggest thing I can tell you is do as much research as you can. I can tell you a little bit but I am far from an expert here.
Megasquirt is incredibly capable but it will likely take a lot more work to get it to do the things you want. Adding a feature might involve modding the board or adding components to be able to do it then setting it up and tuning it.

With something like an AEM system it's much more likely you will just hook up a new sensor, feature, module etc and start playing with it.
MS has a lot of open source and community support.
AEM has good community support plus professional tech support should you need it.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:09 pm

There's also the option of running a chipped Honda ECU. I've seen pics of an AW11 running one, with the Honda dizzy mounted to the exhaust cam gear bolt. I don't have an AW11 (someday!) so I don't know how much room you have in that engine bay compared to the AE92/5. But the other placement choice for the Honda ECU is mated to an adapter on the stock (16v) 4A-GE location. I'm thinking about going this route because there's a larger Honda scene in my area, and more Honda ECU tuners out here. I would only need someone to get a Honda dizzy onto a 4A-GE dizzy for me.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Rogue-AE95 wrote:There's also the option of running a chipped Honda ECU. I've seen pics of an AW11 running one, with the Honda dizzy mounted to the exhaust cam gear bolt. I don't have an AW11 (someday!) so I don't know how much room you have in that engine bay compared to the AE92/5. But the other placement choice for the Honda ECU is mated to an adapter on the stock (16v) 4A-GE location. I'm thinking about going this route because there's a larger Honda scene in my area, and more Honda ECU tuners out here. I would only need someone to get a Honda dizzy onto a 4A-GE dizzy for me.

I have never understood how this would be practical or sensible. Converting the dizzy is going to take some work any way you cut it. Then the sensors and wiring and all that. It seems like it would be at least as much time and money as some of the cheaper engine management options.
I don't have personal experience but I won't forget reading about a very capable 3SGTE MK2 owner on MR2OC who did it and said if he had it to do over he would have done something else.

FrgtnKnt

Postby FrgtnKnt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:07 am

Thanks for the info guys, I will keep looking into it. But I am thinking of just going with the AEM standalone in the end.

turboae92
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby turboae92 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:50 pm

I totally love the idea of honda ecm you know having more local tuners , idle speed and all the other comfort creature of oem car but do agree yoshi having to do change the wiring harness making a distributor bracket which is the worst i guess till someone comes up with a 36 teeth crankshaft pickup wheel or something this is too much of a hack.

jmaz87
Club4AG Regular

Postby jmaz87 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:06 pm

my advice unless u have a lot of money to spend.

learn all u can about megasquirt, decide if u can handle it (its not that hard really) and if u can build your own..

diyautotune.com has a great staff and tech support and the forum is as good as it can be considering the diversity.

i used a T3 aluminum crank pulley because they offer a nice 36-1 tooth steel wheel that bolts to it.

anyway i absolutely love ms3 hope this helps

and i'm good friends with the guy running that mr2 on hondata... it can work... but he only did it becuase it was practically free for him, if i made him a MS he would throw it out the window :)
Tuneshttps://truck.it/p/1Dl1ejMkZq
85' AW11 MS3/X Full Sequential w/ COP (DD)
87' AW11 Spare Shell
88' FJ62 MY BABY
91' AE92 DX Gutted, caged, @15psi GRMS challenger
91' AE92 DX Spare Shell
94' AE101 7AFE Backup DD
03' CBR 954 RR FireBlade

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:51 pm

megasquirts can use the stock sensors and dizzy of the 4AG just fine. You can get a later 24/1 dizzy from an AE92 for better ... dizzying.
If you're not planning on doing any wiring the DIYPNP is a good option. You can assemble it, pay a friend to assemble it, or buy an assembled one from me. I've done enough of them that I can knock them out in an afternoon.
If you want something which is assembled from the manufacturer, the MSPNP exists. It's basically an assembled DIYPNP.
If you want something which is assembled, but cheaper, there's the microquirt. you can make a jumper harness with a DIYBOB or rewire your harness. yay.
If you want something cheaper there's an assembled MS2.
If you want something cheaper there's an unassembled MS2.

I'm a DIYAutoTune dealer for a reason. Megasquirt is VERY capable, and I've found the software to be some of the best available. They're updated regularly, and probably the best documented EMS solution on the market today. There are BUNCHES of 4A-Gs running on Megasquirt.
Pursuing the ideal

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Is there a site with lots of base maps for the MS? Various 4A-GE maps, like TVIS, non-TVIS, stock smallport, etc?
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

turboae92
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby turboae92 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:57 am

I think there's no a stock map but I'm sure someone does have a map with stock injectord. dyiautotune have some tunes that my work.