Wiring an AE101 4AGZE into an N/A '88 MR2

Seagondollar

Wiring an AE101 4AGZE into an N/A '88 MR2

Postby Seagondollar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Given the current Pandemic, I am back to working out the wiring issues of this install. Physically, the engine is in the car. The ECU I have is an AE92 4AGZE that came with the engine. As I understand it, there's not that much difference between that and the AE101 4AGZE ECU.

It's been a while since I worked on it, but I have a lot of wiring diagrams and pinouts of the N/A 4AGE ECU and (I think) the AE92 ECU and am trying to build a spreadsheet that should give me a start to a wiring interconnect.

Anyone (that is not wanting money for their work) willing to point me in the right direction?

jondee86

Re: Wiring an AE101 4AGZE into an N/A '88 MR2

Postby jondee86 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 am

Not my specialty subject but I'll throw in what I know :)

If you have the DLI GZE and want to run it using the factory coilpacks you will also need the AE101 ECU
and AE101 igniter. If you look at the lower panel in this pinout...
http://club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_pages/T ... 0AE92a.htm
... you will see three igniter wires. The IGD output is specific to the DLI engine. On this engine the igniter has
two output channels which trigger alternately to fire the coilpacks in wasted spark. There is a "flip-flop" circuit
in the igniter and the IGD signal from the ECU tells the igniter which coil to fire when the IGF signal is received.

On the other hand the AE92 GZE has a single coil and a distributor so I doubt that it will have an IGD output.
Most likely if you have the AE92 ECU you will need to find an AE92 distributor and igniter.

The DLI engine should have a Cam Angle Sensor (CAS) to provide crank and cam position information to the ECU.
This is essentially an AE92 distributor with the cap and wires missing. The distributor and CAS signal outputs are
identical and if you need a CAS but don't have one, you can use the base of the distributor with a cover plate.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.