Smallest wheel size that will fit over rear discs?

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Smallest wheel size that will fit over rear discs?

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:28 pm

I was wondering, for those of us with a sedan or wagon (obviously non-GT-S) who want to do a rear disc brake swap. Or for those with the 88-89 GT-S with the smaller front brakes. Will 13" wheels clear the GT-S rear discs, calipers, etc?

It looks like the USDM GT-S came with 14" wheels in all years. I know the front discs went larger in 90-91 and I think that you must use 14" wheels at a minimum with those fronts.

I think for outside the US market, you guys got the same GT-S rear discs in some other models, like the Seca liftback, and E90 version of the FX16 / hatchback. Feel free to chime in.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

Gripen
Club4AG Regular

Re: Smallest wheel size that will fit over rear discs?

Postby Gripen » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:47 am

I took a look at the parts car I have. It's a '90 with the OEM 14" wheels. Kind of looks like there is about an inch of space from the top of the rear caliper to the interior barrel of the wheel, so a 13" wheel *may* fit. If it does, it'll be fairly close I think.
2000 Land Rover Discovery II
1989 Toyota Corolla GT-S
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:47 pm

Thank you... I cannot believe that this info isn't out there somewhere in the www. At least not in my searches. I can't be the only person who has wondered this.

yonwd
Club4AG Regular

Postby yonwd » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:28 am

hi, i have an 82 starlet with engine, trans, rear end, coilovers and brakes from twin cam gts. i use and sometimes switch from 14" to 13" and i happen to own 12" watanabe wheels so i thought i'd try to see if they fit just for fun. they fit just fine. did not have any problem with fitment and ran fine on the road. i did not need spacers or anything else. i dont remember how much space there was between the brakes and wheels because it was a few years ago that i tested them but i remember not having any reservations about running them. the only reason i don't run them now is because the tires are quite narrow and my starlet is plenty quick due to the swap so i run my 14" with i believe 195s. so long story short. my watanabe 12" work on gts rear end and the front.
hope that helps

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:21 pm

What he ^^^ said. I ran many different sets of 13" wheels on my JDM spec AE86 and
never had a fitment issue front or rear. In this country the AE86 was delivered from
the dealership with 13" wheels.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks guys. Although I have to wonder if the AE92 GT-S rear discs, with calipers and all, are the same size? It looks like the AE92 rear rotors are 1cm larger in diameter than the AE86 ones.

This all spawned from hoping to buy a set of Tercel wagon 13" aluminum rims (square design) for one of my AE95 wagons. I saw a set of 4 in a junkyard. But when I went back to the junkyard, there were only 2 of the rims left, so I abandoned plans to get them, neat as they are. I doubt I'll find another 2 of those rims anytime soon. I rarely see 80s Tercels as it is.

I was considering still trying to do a rear disc conversion on my newer wagon, using AE92 GT-S rear calipers that I have. I was hoping to still be able to use those Tercel 13" rims, if they cleared the rear caliper brackets.