Igniter problem?

Rulez
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:49 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Igniter problem?

Postby Rulez » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:24 pm

I'm having a problem and I'm hoping you guys can help.

I have a 1990 Celica with a 4AGE ST swapped into it. The igniter and coil are on a bracket together and bolted to the body. I was replacing coolant temp sensors today and unbolted it from the body and set it aside. Once the sensors were replaced I started the car and everything was fine.

Image

I realized I didn't bolt the igniter back to the body so, with the car running, I picked it up and immediately the car shut off. And when I say shut off I mean no power at all, not even accessories. I unplugged it all, including the battery, to reset the ECU. Turn the car on, it has power. Try to start it, completely shuts off again. I unplug and reset everything again and now I notice that the bracket is, like, arcing on the body of the car. When the bracket would touch the body I could see and hear little sparks. I've never seen that before.

Since the car kept losing power and shutting off I jumped it to my other car and tried to start it. When it was jumped to the other car it would stay on and crank over, but it would not start. Once I disconnected it from my other car it would lose all power again once I tried to start it.

My thought is the igniter is bad, obviously, but with it arcing on the car it has me concerned there is another issue. Any advice? Is something like that typical if the igniter is bad?
1990 Toyota Celica 4AGE Silvertop

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2948
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Igniter problem?

Postby jondee86 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Bolt that sucka down !!!!! The igniter grounds thru its outer case and
needs to be bolted down/grounded to the chassis. No ground = no run.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Rulez
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:49 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Igniter problem?

Postby Rulez » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:50 pm

So that's why it was sparking, lol. Good to know!

So the bracket it's bolted to needs to be bolted to a clean spot on the body then? I wonder why it's giving me so much trouble now. It's bolted to the same spot it was before and it started up and ran just fine. Me removing it must've done something to it. Hmmmm...
1990 Toyota Celica 4AGE Silvertop

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2948
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Igniter problem?

Postby jondee86 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:49 pm

The igniter gets a signal from the ECU when its time to momentarily
ground the coil and make a spark. If the ignition is ON but the engine is
not running, there should not be any 12V to ground. If there is, then the
igniter is borked :(

Kind of strange that lifting the igniter killed everything stone dead :? For
sure it would stop the engine because there would not be any spark. But to
take the whole car down ?? I'd hunt for another igniter and try that first. If
the problem persists, you will need to do a full diagnostic and see if you
can find what is shutting the car down.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

User avatar
gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Contact:

Re: Igniter problem?

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:38 am

Factory service manual has the igniter test procedure.