Blacktop 20v Timing Belt Replacement Help Please

TheOxyMorin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Blacktop 20v Timing Belt Replacement Help Please

Postby TheOxyMorin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Hello everyone,

In the midst of swapping a Blacktop 20v into my 86.

I have a new timing belt and hydraulic tensioner, but I removed the tensioner and the old belt before setting the engine up to properly do the replacement. I've read through FSM's and such but it's rather difficult to understand. Can anyone simplify what I need to do? I don't think either cam gear has moved on their own, but possible the crank slightly while putting on my new flywheel. At what point does the crank notch indicate between TDC and BDC so I can freely move the cam gears?

Any help would be great, thanks.

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Re: Blacktop 20v Timing Belt Replacement Help Please

Postby onnaj » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:08 am

Hope this is simple enough: ;)

1) Match the crankshaft timing gear with the notch on the oil pump
2) Temporary mount the cam covers. On the side of the cam covers are marks that should line up with the 2 big notches on the cam gears
3) The smaller notch on the left (VVT) cam gear should line up with the mark (line) on the right cam gear.

That's it!

Going to look if i can find pictures for you. --> Found them, knew they were somewhere in my rebuild album: Image
Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

TheOxyMorin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby TheOxyMorin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:31 pm

onnaj wrote:Hope this is simple enough: ;)

Thanks for the help! I still have a few more questions if you can answer them.

Below is how my engine is currently set.

If all turned individually in the clock-wise direction, below is what I should expect, correct?

I should only turn them in the clock-wise direction, right? And in what order should I turn them? (example: first the crank, then the intake, then the exhaust) I'm afraid of making any contact at all. Should I be worried about doing it in the order you provided (crank, then cams) matched with the pictures I posted?

BryceWSJ
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BryceWSJ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:33 pm

are you lining the key way up to the mark on the oil pump? if so, that is incorrect. there is a little notch on the back of the crank pulley timing gear, and that lines up with the little dimple on the oil pump. if done correctly, and you want to make sure, the key way should be facing straight up. the key way is that little thing the crank pulley aligns with. it looks like you have the cams correctly. turning things by hand wont necessarily damage anything if you go slow and make sure there is no binding.

TheOxyMorin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby TheOxyMorin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:54 pm

BryceWSJ wrote:are you lining the key way up to the mark on the oil pump? if so, that is incorrect. there is a little notch on the back of the crank pulley timing gear, and that lines up with the little dimple on the oil pump. if done correctly, and you want to make sure, the key way should be facing straight up. the key way is that little thing the crank pulley aligns with. it looks like you have the cams correctly. turning things by hand wont necessarily damage anything if you go slow and make sure there is no binding.

Thank you for the help I just finished, I think I should be good. Thanks again! :)

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:48 am

Great! Now enjoy the drive :D
Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382