4age 20v BT cold start condition

canyon_carvers
Club4AG Enthusiast

4age 20v BT cold start condition

Postby canyon_carvers » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:30 am

4age 20v BT in ae86. To my knowledge the 20v don't have cold start injector and no idle air control valve.. But it does have a idle speed valve. I'm located in the cold winter of Minnesota. The car had been sitting in my garage over the winter and recently I tried to start it up... the engine won't start (it ran superb before I put it into storage) I figure maybe it's too cold when I tried to start it up.. I don't know how picky the 20v's are when under 60 degrees. The engine feels like it almost want to start and cough up a bit and then shuts off. After 5 cranks I stopped (cranked it on a brand new battery). Can some one shed some light on me... What temperature does the weather have to be at in order for the engine decide it want to start up? The temp was mid 50s when I attempt to start it. Or is it something else that I need to look into... I have not try any "starter spray" into the intake yet... I thought maybe I should just wait... I just want to confirm if it's just a cold weather issue that I'm dealing with... any input would be much appreciated... Any of the enthusiast here who live in the colder part of the states had any issues with this please share me your experience.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: 4age 20v BT cold start condition

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:07 am

Just like any other motor made in the last 40+ years it will have been designed to start in any conditions.
Below say -30 degrees it would be smart to use a block heater.
My BT runs on my GZE ECU so it's not apples to apples but the ECU was designed to run a CSI and low comp motor and I have never run a CSI on it. Both the GZE and Blacktop have started up just fine in -20f weather without a CSI.

I can only think of a couple possibilities. Maybe your ISC seized in it's warm idle position.
Try cranking it over giving it just a hint of throttle. Don't pump the pedal or anything, just hold it down 1/8" and see what happens.
I would definitely try cranking it a little more without starting fluid. If you do try starting fluid use it very sparingly.

canyon_carvers wrote:4age 20v BT in ae86. To my knowledge the 20v don't have cold start injector and no idle air control valve.. But it does have a idle speed valve. I'm located in the cold winter of Minnesota. The car had been sitting in my garage over the winter and recently I tried to start it up... the engine won't start (it ran superb before I put it into storage) I figure maybe it's too cold when I tried to start it up.. I don't know how picky the 20v's are when under 60 degrees. The engine feels like it almost want to start and cough up a bit and then shuts off. After 5 cranks I stopped (cranked it on a brand new battery). Can some one shed some light on me... What temperature does the weather have to be at in order for the engine decide it want to start up? The temp was mid 50s when I attempt to start it. Or is it something else that I need to look into... I have not try any "starter spray" into the intake yet... I thought maybe I should just wait... I just want to confirm if it's just a cold weather issue that I'm dealing with... any input would be much appreciated... Any of the enthusiast here who live in the colder part of the states had any issues with this please share me your experience.