Do i need to re-shim???

xploding-twincam
Club4AG Regular

Do i need to re-shim???

Postby xploding-twincam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 am

Sup people

I know that if one is changing cams to a bigger set they need to do shims and check valve clearance but

Im changing just my intake cam on my 4age 16v to a 20v exhaust cam, going to get the cam base cut to 16v size so it will remain at stock spec of 250deg and 7.6mm lift.

Will i need to re shim?
or modify anything?

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Do i need to re-shim???

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 am

ANY time a different cam is installed you should check clearances.
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:41 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:ANY time a different cam is installed you should check clearances.

As xploding-twincam mentioned, to determined the correct shims needed after installing different cams (correct me if i'm wrong), checking clearance is done when the cam is at .050" is that right? Just needed you to refresh me on this subject. Its been more than a decade since I've did cam swaps on these bucket style valvetrains.

Mike
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:12 am

KonaTrueno723 wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:ANY time a different cam is installed you should check clearances.

As xploding-twincam mentioned, to determined the correct shims needed after installing different cams (correct me if i'm wrong), checking clearance is done when the cam is at .050" is that right? Just needed you to refresh me on this subject. Its been more than a decade since I've did cam swaps on these bucket style valvetrains.

Mike

this is incorrect... there is no clearance when the cam is engaging the bucket with .050" of lift.

The easiest method of checking valve clearances is when the lobe points directly opposite of the valve, you can check clearances.
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 pm

You are right..this helps as originally stated by xploding-twincam in regards to cam swapping.
Thanks for the correction oldeskewltoy!
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

xploding-twincam
Club4AG Regular

Postby xploding-twincam » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 am

Yes lobe pointing up, which leaves the base of the cam facing the shim, that's where you need to check clearence, what's the most clearence one can have?

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:24 am

The factory service manual, even the pdf that is easily searchable on google has this info in it.

86boy

Postby 86boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:25 pm

xploding-twincam wrote:Yes lobe pointing up, which leaves the base of the cam facing the shim, that's where you need to check clearence, what's the most clearence one can have?

on a Cold engine:

intake 0.006"-0.010"
exhaust 0.008"-0.012"

I just put bigport cams in my late ae92 4agze, and went through this. I set my more towards the loose side. sometimes you can get away with rearranging the shims around to compensate for other, but if not new ones can start to get pricey. Another way is to find people that just happen to have a couple spare heads laying around, and see if you can take the shims. I have had 2 blown 4age's (in the car when I bought them) and stole the shims/buckets out of them for my GZE. It's not really a bad process unless you don't have the handy tool that allows you to remove the shims from the buckets with the cams still torqued down. If you don't have that tool it can take a while. As you have to remove the cam swap shims and/or buckets then put the cam back in, and check your clearances again. Hope this helps!!