Aw11 engine wiring harness for ae86

xxisukaxx

Aw11 engine wiring harness for ae86

Postby xxisukaxx » Wed May 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Hello club4age. I have a aw11mr2 engine wiring harness and i want to use it for my ae86's engine, but idk what parts of the harness i need to extend. I know the wires to the fuel injectors and the ignitor need to be extended, but i know there are a lot more areas that need to be extended. If anyone could link me to more information about my question, that would be very helpful. Thank you in advance!

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Aw11 engine wiring harness for ae86

Postby yellowsnow4free » Wed May 13, 2015 7:03 pm

xxisukaxx wrote:Hello club4age. I have a aw11mr2 engine wiring harness and i want to use it for my ae86's engine, but idk what parts of the harness i need to extend. I know the wires to the fuel injectors and the ignitor need to be extended, but i know there are a lot more areas that need to be extended. If anyone could link me to more information about my question, that would be very helpful. Thank you in advance!

Hey xxisukaxx,

I'm assuming your car is an AE86 SR5?

I've been searching for this myself, and I haven't got a good answer, because 99.9% of the time people just tell you to buy the proper AE86 GTS harnesses.

They're right though, this is the way with the least headaches, but IMO, people are asking way too much for said harnesses ($450+ for the set! :shock: )

Having said that, if you're willing to study the wiring diagrams for both an AE86 SR5 and the donor AW11, I don't see why it isn't possible.

I only know of 1 thread for sure where someone used a non-AE86 GTS donor harness (AE92 GTS): http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9

I've never done a wiring job on a car before, (so take this with a grain of salt) but I've done a bit of electrical wiring on projects and stuff, so here's what I'd do:

1) Try and retain as much of the SR5 wiring as possible. Aside from the engine, I don't see why you'd need to mess with the SR5 harness. This way your headlights, taillights, accessories, wipers, etc. will work.

2) Study the ECU pinout of your donor car. This should give you an idea of what you need to wire up.

3) Avoid cutting wires on both your SR5 harness and AW11 harness. Instead, de-pin the connectors and re-pin as necessary. Once you know it's working, then you can proceed to cut wires and shorten / extend them as necessary.

The plugs are different between a SR5 and a GTS, but the rear body harness just needs 1 wire ran for the in-tank fuel pump. Google around to confirm, but this wire goes to the driver's side kick panel fuse box. Alternatively, you can run an external electric fuel pump in the engine bay of your car. I think with this method you'll be able to retain the SR5 fuel lines.

I've been researching this myself lately, and it looks like you should be able to utilize a fair amount of parts from cars other than the AE86 GTS; read through these:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=90040

http://www.hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16037

There are some pieces though, like the intake manifold, that it might be worth picking up the proper AE86 GTS part.

You should also look around to see what you can retain from your AE86 SR5; motor mounts will work for sure. I think your engine accessory pullies are also RWD specific, so keep those, same with the water pump.

Finally, if you do go this route, make a build thread! Posting your findings will really help the community :)

Good luck! :D