4A-GTE -- for fuel efficiency?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: 4A-GTE -- for fuel efficiency?

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Respeckmejulie wrote:my first hand experience:

bone stock zzw30 spyder, i never saw better than 28mpg on the highway. cruising speed 80-90mph (florida is crazy).

after building a turbo setup, using a/w for intercooling, and most importantly, a professional tune, i saw efficency on the highway jump to almost 40mpg, without altering my driving style.

could tuning alone have achieved this?

Yes most likely. If you took your turbo off it should be about the same. While the ZZw30 isn't renowned for MPG 28 still sounds extremely low. I would guess you had a bad 02 sensor or other issues contributing to poor MPG.

Fuelly shows average MPG for a ZZW30 in the 30 MPG range so highway I would expect you should be able to get at least 35 or better. For a good tune to gain you another 5 is quite believable.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:07 am

I am not saying 3800 swaps shouldn't be popular. Just saying that your expectations are a little unrealistic.
As for the other stuff. Just because you don't understand the math and physics behind the theory doesn't mean you should attack

unrealistic expectations?
You mean like a 1.0 L 7000 pound dually ? I'm glad my understanding of math and physics don't bring me to such foolish conclusions. Show me one, then we can talk

One other example. That rolla video posted has the older 180hp 3800. Even with horribly mismatched 4.11 diff gearing and tire slip, it still manages a 14.6 sec 1/4 mile. With a low 3.xx gear and sticky 205/50-15 would put a L36 rwd rolla comfortably in the mid 13sec range! A 4.11 gear belongs behind gutless pos puny motors in a 5 spd daily driven rolla (4age)

and most importantly, a professional tune, i saw efficency on the highway jump to almost 40mpg, without altering my driving style

Exactly what the more advanced 3800 tuners discussed/agreed on. Live map yielded amazing gains in performance AND economy.... despite the good job GM engineers sent them out the door with. Some herald it at the single best mod period
A 37mpg 2800 pound auto tranny fiero is really no big deal. Those motors are that good. Now add a live tune, 5spd, tall diff in a 500 pound lighter rwd rolla. Best of all it drives nothing like any boosted small displacement motor. Has robust torque available at any rpm.... from u let off the clutch. More throttle just presses u harder in the seat. Imagine that
Yes, u can have your cake and eat it too

After following a lot of GZE builds I've always been impressed with how the quiucker ones got street rollas in the 13.7 to 14.0 range. Thats as good as it gets for a supercharged 1.6L, from my observations. Now take that gem and spray it with a full time 50 shot, and you're in L36 tq territory..... but the only way you'll touch L36 mileage is to remove the supercharger belt - lol, What fun is that ?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:15 am

jinx wrote:
I am not saying 3800 swaps shouldn't be popular. Just saying that your expectations are a little unrealistic.
As for the other stuff. Just because you don't understand the math and physics behind the theory doesn't mean you should attack

You mean like a 1.0 L 7000 pound dually ? I'm glad my understanding of math and physics don't bring me to such foolish conclusions. Show me one, then we can talk

You obviously do not understand my point with that example and obviously are unwilling to even consider my point. For anyone else who might be slightly open to learning something I will explain one more time.
The point of the engine is to make power. The point of the transmission is to convert that power into enough torque to do the job required.
As far as doing work a 1 liter motor that makes say 200 HP would work just as well on a big truck as long as it created enough power over a big enough curve and had the right gearing.
You will never see this on a truck because it's not a reliable solution. You would need to rev the motor to 20k RPM to make the power. Or you would need to run 30 PSI boost at 10k RPM. Either way this is not the kind of motor that will last 400k miles like a big heavy 2000 RPM diesel.
Now from a performance perspective you could put that 200 HP 1 liter motor in a fully loaded 26' uhaul and with the right gearing it would haul that uhaul up a pass faster than the stock 180 HP 7.3 IDI motor that came in the Uhaul.
This is because the 200 hp can do more work than the 180 hp diesel. You just need the right gearing to make the usable torque to the wheels.
The 1 liter motor would haul the load to the top of the pass faster and would do the job at least as well. The difference is that after hauling that load for 3000 miles it would need a rebuild and a new clutch. The 7.3 IDI would be able to do 100 more trips before it did.
This is the main reason why big heavy slow spinning diesels are used for that application.

It's about 4th grade math that explains all of this. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to wrap their heads around.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:26 am

R-E-A-L-I-S-T-I-C is my point. Didn't you just mention being realistic ??
If torque "does not matter", as u claim, then displacement doesn't matter, neither does vehicle weight. Nonsense!
Who cares about any 20k rpm 1.0 L, a 19 speed gearbox.... or any unobtainable crap. THAT is what "doesn't matter", or irrelevant
Who gives a sheet about "fantasy" hardware ? Seriously. Why introduce them to the discussion ? To make a point ?
How about limiting our options to what we actually have available to us ? Can you wrap your head around that ?
Has nothing to do with being open minded or willingness to learn, sir.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:49 am

jinx wrote:R-E-A-L-I-S-T-I-C is my point. Didn't you just mention being realistic ??
If torque "does not matter", as u claim, then displacement doesn't matter, neither does vehicle weight. Nonsense!
Who cares about any 20k rpm 1.0 L, a 19 speed gearbox.... or any unobtainable crap. THAT is what "doesn't matter", or irrelevant
Who gives a sheet about "fantasy" hardware ? Seriously. Why introduce them to the discussion ? To make a point ?
How about limiting our options to what we actually have available to us ? Can you wrap your head around that ?
Has nothing to do with being open minded or willingness to learn, sir.

Like I said you don't want to learn and have no interest in being open to this concept so there is no point in me continuing this discussion with you.