4AGZE 2nd gen

Toyota8
Club4AG Regular

4AGZE 2nd gen

Postby Toyota8 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:20 pm

I have some questions about the 4AGZE 2nd gen.

I bought the engine and I don't have the alternator and the starter. What alternator and starter can I use?

I have a question about the cams.I have the opportunity to have a set of 264/256 HKS set of cams. Do you think it's a good upgrade to stay "streetable"?

Also, I have a cut harness. Is there anybody here that make harness to swap into an AE92 GT-S?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: 4AGZE 2nd gen

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Any 4A intake side starter should work. Unless you are bolting it to a trans with an exhaust side starter. In which case you would need one of those.

I think it needs to be a GZE alt. I don't know of any alternatives. Well other than ditching the SC and going a different direction. More on that below.

The HKS cams are good and would probably suit your needs. What do you mean by "Opportunity to have"? If they are free or cheap then it's probably worth it.

For the Harness check out tweaked or wire gap.

What are you trying to do?
I am not fond of the GZE. Personally I would go a different direction.
Slap a turbo on it and you can use your NA alt. Or even better sell the GZE to some sucker and put that money into building up your motor better.

Toyota8
Club4AG Regular

Postby Toyota8 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:15 pm

It's just that one guy is selling a complete 4AGE but if he's not able to sell as a whole, he's ready to part out. So I'm not sure I'll have the cams.

For the supercharge, I don't want to go turbo.

strmrdr23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby strmrdr23 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:59 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:I am not fond of the GZE. Personally I would go a different direction.
Slap a turbo on it and you can use your NA alt. Or even better sell the GZE to some sucker and put that money into building up your motor better.

just curious what your arguments against GZE are? my buddy's shop had a GZE laying around and swapped into another homie's 86 and all were pleasantly surprised. disclaimer: i have yet to drive it so i have no first hand experience.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:59 am

strmrdr23 wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote:I am not fond of the GZE. Personally I would go a different direction.

just curious what your arguments against GZE are? my buddy's shop had a GZE laying around and swapped into another homie's 86 and all were pleasantly surprised. disclaimer: i have yet to drive it so i have no first hand experience.

The Largeport is 8.1:1 compression. This is depressingly low by todays standards. That equates to crap gas mileage and hp/PSI. the Smallport is 8.9:1 which is better but still too low for my liking.
The Sc12 (Or any Roots supercharger) is very inefficient. It is okay for the 8 PSI it makes stock but a turbo will still blow it away. In fact an NA largeport running about 6 PSI on a small turbo will make more power than even a smallport GZE on 10 PSI. The supercharger robs more energy, makes more heat and won't make as much power.
The superchargers are also getting hard to find in good condition and cannot be rebuilt.

The biggest thing is that they are an expensive step sideways in most cases. Sure if you would be happy with 150 WHP they aren't an awful choice but then if you want more than that you have almost as much work ahead of you as you would starting with an NA 4A. Even if you would be happy with 150 WHP I would rather slap a turbo on an NA 4A. better compression, better MPG, more power at less boost and if you want more power you are already turbo so you are on the best upgrade path.
If as in your friends case they had one taking up space then it's not an awful option but I would still rather spend a little more to throw some good pistons and cams in a donor block and slap a turbo on it and be able to make some real power. All the while getting better gas mileage.

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:07 am

A turbo 'never' has the instant torque a sc will deliver. That's one of the reasons i really like my brothers AE82 with 2nd gen 4AGZE DLI setup. That's the main reasons other people love it too. And don't forget the SC wine which is beautifull.
Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

Toyota8
Club4AG Regular

Postby Toyota8 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:24 pm

onnaj wrote:A turbo 'never' has the instant torque a sc will deliver. That's one of the reasons i really like my brothers AE82 with 2nd gen 4AGZE DLI setup. That's the main reasons other people love it too. And don't forget the SC wine which is beautifull.

That's exactly the reasons why I want stay SC.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:43 pm

onnaj wrote:A turbo 'never' has the instant torque a sc will deliver. That's one of the reasons i really like my brothers AE82 with 2nd gen 4AGZE DLI setup. That's the main reasons other people love it too. And don't forget the SC wine which is beautifull.

My turbo spools as fast as the SC12 over 4k RPM. Almost as fast between 3500 and 4k. Between 2500 and 3500 I know how to predict when I need boost so I get it when I want it. If you are trying to go fast you shouldn't be under 4000 RPM anyway so there is no logical reason to have any issue with a small turbo over an SC12. If things like making boost at 2000 RPM even though you don't make any power there or a particular sound are more important then so be it. Just make sure you are okay with spending more money on a slower setup.