20V 4A-GE ST - Starting issue

NZMikey
Club4AG Regular

Re: 20V 4A-GE ST - Starting issue

Postby NZMikey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Im back onto this today,

I pulled the oil plug and let a little oil out after noticing the volume of oil on the dipstick was quite a fair way up there. After doing this, i noticed the oil was extremely thin and smelt like fuel - going to drain some more out and put some fresh oil in there just to thinken it up a bit while working on it.

Timing belt was re-positioned and tightened up. Didnt get a chance to check the spark yet, but will do that tonight. I am also going to put it behind a 4wd and tow the sucker and see if it will fire up and do the running diagnostics while im at it.

Will reply with all the details once done.

NZMikey
Club4AG Regular

Postby NZMikey » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:29 pm

Alright, I got somewhere?

Tested the plugs out, found that the plugs were arking to the side, great, found an issue (It appears that the new plugs i brought may have been faulty this entire time). Store was closed so couldn't get some new plugs. Took the plugs out of a corrolla, (They were a little different, but nothing that would cause damage). Boom, car started, I adjusted ign timing, and there it was, running by itself without any sort of assistance.

Now, 2 things from this:
1. Car wouldn't start if i applied any acceleration what so ever while turning it over.

2. Smokey as hell.

However, it did have power, I could accelerate and it would redline in seconds.

This morning, I went to buy new plugs for it. Now we are back at the start.. sort of. Car will start, however, it dies pretty quickly unless i pulsate on the accelerator. Still smokey as hell, but it fires.

matt dunn
Club4AG Regular

Postby matt dunn » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:42 am

I have found that if you need to constantly pump the throttle to keep a car going it is a fuel pressure problem.
Pull the return line off not the feed line and put a hose on it into a bucket or container.
If you don't get a decent amount of fuel out of the hose while cranking then you don't have enough pressure