16v not feeling too great at low speeds.

ericteti
Club4AG Regular

16v not feeling too great at low speeds.

Postby ericteti » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Hey guys,

My 16v has been feeling a little weird at low speeds. If I'm in 1-3 gear and remove my foot from the throttle, the engine starts to rubble and shake. This is even happening in 3rd if I'm anywhere below 2800rpm. Giving it a little gas helps a bit, but it isn't until I'm giving it a significant amount that it goes away. Right now, to make a slower turn in 2nd or 3rd, I have to clutch in to avoid the bogging.

4th gear, I have no issues at all with taking my foot off of the accelerator. When I do, things still feel very very smooth.

Any ideas? This has made any low speed driving, such as through my neighborhood, a huge pain.

Thanks!

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: 16v not feeling too great at low speeds.

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:51 am

might there be something wrong in the transmission? I know it isn't the engine, but when you say it is in gears 1-3, but once in 4th all is fine. When the trans is in 4th gear the power goes straight through the trans where in 1-3 it goes into other shafts, gears.
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

ericteti
Club4AG Regular

Postby ericteti » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:25 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:might there be something wrong in the transmission? I know it isn't the engine, but when you say it is in gears 1-3, but once in 4th all is fine. When the trans is in 4th gear the power goes straight through the trans where in 1-3 it goes into other shafts, gears.

Hmm I didn't think about that. My transmission shifts fine and doesn't seem to give me problems (unless this is a transmission issue). Having my foot off of the throttle in 5th gear is fine too.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:19 pm

If it's the trans you'd more than likely hear a new noise or feel something odd. How does the engine do when revved in neutral?
One shot, one kill.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:08 pm

What's the compression?
Does it miss or surge or feel funny when redlining 2nd & 3rd?
Is the timing adjusted for a smooth fast idle, and octane so it'll only ping/detonate if abused, like trying to accelerate in 3'rd at 2000rpm?

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:32 am

Diagnostic check ? If it is not the transmission then it could be a fueling issue and possibly also related to the TPS (fuel cut, or lack of, on the idle switch)