old ignition set up from japan!

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:25 pm

old ignition set up from japan!

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Wed May 29, 2019 5:31 am

so take a look at this I found on a sweet website!

https://www.croooober.com/en/item/10209 ... ion-System

looks like it plugs into distributor plug somewhere and has what looks like an ignition controll box kind of like an msd.

would this work if hooked up to my carbed engine? that would be super cool! thanks guys! ;)

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2420
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: old ignition set up from japan!

Postby jondee86 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:23 am

That's some old school electronics there... and the website classifies that
collection of parts as "Junk" !!!! I would say your chances of getting it to work
would be slim, but if you are a gambler you could try :)

There are other systems around (Megajolt, Nodiz etc) that you could use. They
are not CDI but modern coils put out plenty of voltage for firing your plugs.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: old ignition set up from japan!

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Fri May 31, 2019 6:51 am

jondee86 wrote:That's some old school electronics there... and the website classifies that
collection of parts as "Junk" !!!! I would say your chances of getting it to work
would be slim, but if you are a gambler you could try :)

There are other systems around (Megajolt, Nodiz etc) that you could use. They
are not CDI but modern coils put out plenty of voltage for firing your plugs.

Cheers... jondee86


So i talked to them and they only listed it as junk because they just havent tested it and wont offer refunds on it hahaha but my main reason for trying to run something like this is because im running blow through turbo set up now and my turbo basically touches my distributor :lol: so would your suggestions listed about work withought having to run a stand alone ecu so i can run individual coils and take my distributor cap out of the equation??

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2420
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: old ignition set up from japan!

Postby jondee86 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:34 pm

Both the Nodiz (= no dizzy) and Megajolt eliminate the distributor entirely, but
need a 36-1 or 60-2 crank trigger wheel to be installed. Another possibility is
Microsquirt (a member of the Megasquirt family) that can use the cam position
and rpm triggers that are in the base of your distributor to run wasted spark
coils. That way you discard the dizzy cap, wires and rotor and make a cover to
turn the dizzy base into a CAS.

These "ignition only" systems are like half a standalone ECU, and control the
ignition advance based on load and rpm. There are probably more basic products
out there that have fixed ignition curves like a mechanical dizzy, but I wouldn't
recommend them if you want the best out of your engine.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: old ignition set up from japan!

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:16 am

jondee86 wrote:Both the Nodiz (= no dizzy) and Megajolt eliminate the distributor entirely, but
need a 36-1 or 60-2 crank trigger wheel to be installed. Another possibility is
Microsquirt (a member of the Megasquirt family) that can use the cam position
and rpm triggers that are in the base of your distributor to run wasted spark
coils. That way you discard the dizzy cap, wires and rotor and make a cover to
turn the dizzy base into a CAS.

These "ignition only" systems are like half a standalone ECU, and control the
ignition advance based on load and rpm. There are probably more basic products
out there that have fixed ignition curves like a mechanical dizzy, but I wouldn't
recommend them if you want the best out of your engine.

Cheers... jondee86



I looked at the nodiz website and the price is super cheap! I might go that rout. I did notice they use a tps as well though so I want to ask them if I can go without it because im running dcoe carbs but thanks for the tip ive never heard of thi option before

jinx
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: old ignition set up from japan!

Postby jinx » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:57 am

What are the chances of that pair of dcoe carbs tuned optimum for your 4AGE ?
A costly time consuming pita experiment if not.... otherwise possibly a fuel drinking, noisy, poor performing, heap
Bike carbs maybe a closer 'dial-in' ? Dunno
I'm thinking if you're goin thru all the effort of ecu & laptop tuning, may as well go the full nine - ITBs

Davegt27
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 pm
Location: co

Re: old ignition set up from japan!

Postby Davegt27 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:15 pm

I have an old HKS DIS ign system

It has instructions for 4age and 7mg

I will try to take some pics
edit
Image

Image

Image
Davegt27 Code One Racing

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: old ignition set up from japan!

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Davegt27 wrote:I have an old HKS DIS ign system

It has instructions for 4age and 7mg

I will try to take some pics
edit
Image

Image

Image



DUDE that's so sick! so it just used the distributor plugs for an ignition signal or does it need a trigger wheel?

Davegt27
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 pm
Location: co

Re: old ignition set up from japan!

Postby Davegt27 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:36 pm

No trigger wheel that's all I know, its been awhile since touched it
Davegt27 Code One Racing

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.



Return to “TECH: 4A-GE ENGINE”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests