20v blacktop won’t rev over 4k

mase86
Club4AG Enthusiast

20v blacktop won’t rev over 4k

Postby mase86 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:48 am

I am currently working on an AW11 mr2 with. Rebuilt 20v blacktop that I just installed. It wasn’t revving past 4K before build and had a busted head gasket. After installing it still won’t rev past 4K. Changed ECUs, changed igniter, unplugged VVT. I’m don’t know what I’m missing but I’ve checked everything ignition wise. I jumped the diagnostic pins and this is the code I get. Anyone know what the codes are? From what I get it’s 21 and 33. Thanks. I’m at my wits in pulling hairs.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... G_2496.MOV

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... G_2487.MOV
Last edited by mase86 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Re: 20v blacktop won’t rev over 4k

Postby morgan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:14 am

https://locost7.info/mirror/4age_blacktop.php
look in the EFI section

21 = O2 sensor
33 = ISCV
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

mase86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mase86 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:50 am

But would this cause it not to rev over 4K? I tried using another Ecu but it’s like it’s going into limp mode.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 pm

You haven't said if the engine will rev past 4000 in neutral ? But you mention limp mode
so I'm going to assume that it won't go past 4000 while actually driving... if so engine load
is a factor. Probably also safe to assume that the engine is mechanically sound and that
the problem is related to electrical, fuel or timing issues.

There are a few things that will cause the engine to run out of puff at a certain rpm but
the ISCV is not one of them as it is only active at idle. The O2 sensor can cause all sorts
of running and tuning problems, only they are usually irritating and relatively minor so
probably safe to put that code aside for the time being.

What's left that might cause or contribute to rev limiting ?
- Ignition timing ? Have you checked it with a light ?
- Cam timing ? Have you checked your belt is installed correctly and all the marks line up ?
- MAP sensor ? Hose connected, plugged in and no broken wires ?
- Fuel pressure OK ? Tail pipe black or white ? Any smell once engine is warmed up ?
- Do you hear any "pinking" or "knocking" sound when you put load on the engine ?
- Does it get weak earlier than 4000 if you have your foot up it and later if you are gentle ?
- Does the engine run any different hot from cold ? Like does it feel stronger if you warm
it up on the road compared to once it is fully up to temperature ?

I once had a 3SG Corona that suddenly went into limp mode one day on the drive to work.
Couldn't find anything wrong with it and in desperation I started pulling fuses from the
under hood fusebox to see if any were blown. The fuses were all good but the next time
I started the car it was back to normal. Could be worth a try as corrosion can form on the
contacts after a lot of years without being disturbed, and just pulling and replacing the
fuses is enough to restore the contact surfaces.

That ought to keep you busy for a while :P

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.