Recommended ECU for 20V

Army Fork
Club4AG Expert

Recommended ECU for 20V

Postby Army Fork » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Pretty straightforward, I want to go standalone on my silvertop as the stock ECU is competent at best and unreliable at worst (burnt caps anyone?).

So I have a few possible ECU's I'm interested. The Omex 600 is a pretty good setup but I want full sequential injection instead of twin fire, mostly the only reason I'd get one is because of Striker's supercharger kit. I've also looked at Wolf, Megasquirt and a couple others yet and if I'm honest I'm kinda spoiled for choice, so I thought I'd throw it out to you guys.

What is the ECU you guys recommend the most for my 20V? What is the best to tune with, which one has the fewest headaches and which ones would you never touch?
1984 SR5-GTS 20V ST/BT coupe.
- Stance GR+ Coilovers
- Mishimoto Cooling
- T3 adjustable 4-bar, Panhard, traction brackets, tension rods
- T3 Short shift
- Manual rack conversion
- Blacktop electronics

Toyoloog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Recommended ECU for 20V

Postby Toyoloog » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:22 am

I'd say KMS but I'm not sure if that one has much support on that side of the ocean.
Keep in mind that with a stand alone you can lose some of the integrated functions of your stock ECU. (climate control, cruise control, that sort of stuff)
Coffee is what makes civilized life possible in these demanding times...

xb_release_2
Club4AG Regular

Postby xb_release_2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:53 am

Have you looked into Adaptronic? I think I will be going MS3x myself. Adaptronic is self learning and uses all oem toyota sensors.

Army Fork
Club4AG Expert

Postby Army Fork » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:20 am

Considering this is going into an AE86, I'm not too worried about losing additional functions.

KMS and Adaptronic huh? I'll look into them. One thing that surprised me is that the big names, Greddy, Apexi and the like don't seem to do standalone's anymore. At least I find this surprising, although I'm new to this depth of tuning.
- Stance GR+ Coilovers
- Mishimoto Cooling
- T3 Short shift
- Manual rack conversion
- Blacktop electronics

Toyoloog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toyoloog » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:22 am

Or, if you know Japanese, try the "freedom" computers.
Coffee is what makes civilized life possible in these demanding times...

Army Fork
Club4AG Expert

Postby Army Fork » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 am

Surprisingly I actually did study japanese, but I'm terrible at it. Both my hiragana and katakana reading skills are atrocious., might be a reason to take it back up though
- Stance GR+ Coilovers
- Mishimoto Cooling
- T3 Short shift
- Manual rack conversion
- Blacktop electronics

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:03 pm

Find out who you are going to have tune it, and get the setup they are most comfortable with. Not all shops are willing to tune with megasquirt or some off-brand that is rarely used. By now, pretty much all standalones are created equal. The 4AG is very simple, no need for insane traction control or multi function data logging etc etc. Look at the features of the standalone, chances are you only need the base model instead of the one that can massage your nuts and comes with TurboTax installed for $1500+. Can't go wrong with AEM, it widely used and most Honda dorks can tune it with no problems. Look into customer support as well. MANY companies just sell the stuff. If you have a problem they don't care and will not help with tech support or goodwill parts.
SwangBiz Corolla Chassis Parts and F20/F22C/4AGE Wiring Services
(we build stuff, I solder wires, we race corollas, then we get drunk)

Proud Supporter of JSPfab.com, BattleGarage, and Solo8 LED Solutions

Army Fork
Club4AG Expert

Postby Army Fork » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:20 pm

I've run into that problem as of late with companies like Omex (who make a fine ECU, no doubt) that only offer semi-sequential (i.e. twin fire) injection, but yet allows you to control nitrous and water injection on the same ECU.

My biggest concern is being able to run full sequential injection and ignition so I can get rid of my wasted spark setup and ensure that I get the best injection shot I can. Nitrous, water injection and all that other stuff is really unnecessary for my build.
- Stance GR+ Coilovers
- Mishimoto Cooling
- T3 Short shift
- Manual rack conversion
- Blacktop electronics

xb_release_2
Club4AG Regular

Postby xb_release_2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:06 pm

MS3x can run sequential ignition and sequential injection off of our stock distributor, I believe. Can anyone confirm this? I believe we have a 24/1 nippondenso CAS. 24 no missing teeth for crank speed and 1 tooth for cam speed? Not sure if this is thread jacking but this can help everyone that wants sequential injection and ignition!

My source:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/trigger- ... alwheelcam

Army Fork
Club4AG Expert

Postby Army Fork » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I'm not entirely sure you can do it for crank speed unless you can set the MS for it. I know that T3 does make an EDIS trigger wheel for such applications though, maybe this is why.
- Stance GR+ Coilovers
- Mishimoto Cooling
- T3 Short shift
- Manual rack conversion
- Blacktop electronics

xb_release_2
Club4AG Regular

Postby xb_release_2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:27 pm

That t3 pulley has been on the market for ages. EMS have evolved a lot since then. Here is another source stating there is a cam signal input (vr) and a crank signal input (vr) only on the ms3x though!

For the wiring harness and ecu you will be looking at 717+ shipping!

http://ms3efi.com/product.html
Last edited by xb_release_2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Im running adaptronic e420d on my 5.5ag 20v....has a load of features and im running full sequential COP ignition and injection....also has a feature to manipulate each injector up and down if you have the capability to tune each cylinder like im doing on my engine..also its the only ecu on the market with duel vvt control....so not only will it control the 20v it can control both vvt cams on the 2zz and 3sg beam. Cost is about 1000 and is very simple to use...I also have base maps for it already saved using sequential ignition and also wasted spark....Andy at adaptronic is awesome with customer support also. I could possibly put a group buy together if there is interest and I kno a guy who can modify your harness to plug and play with your car and the ecu for around 400 a pop...awesome low cost computer with big company features...and uses all oem sensors....no additional cost of buy ecu specific sensors.
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

Army Fork
Club4AG Expert

Postby Army Fork » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:46 pm

I wouldn't mind getting in on a group buy, especially if it does everything you're suggesting. Keep me posted, definitely interested
- Stance GR+ Coilovers
- Mishimoto Cooling
- T3 Short shift
- Manual rack conversion
- Blacktop electronics

runkillerrabbit
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby runkillerrabbit » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:10 am

gaijin_rokurunner wrote:Im running adaptronic e420d on my 5.5ag 20v....has a load of features and im running full sequential COP ignition and injection....also has a feature to manipulate each injector up and down if you have the capability to tune each cylinder like im doing on my engine..also its the only ecu on the market with duel vvt control....so not only will it control the 20v it can control both vvt cams on the 2zz and 3sg beam. Cost is about 1000 and is very simple to use...I also have base maps for it already saved using sequential ignition and also wasted spark....Andy at adaptronic is awesome with customer support also. I could possibly put a group buy together if there is interest and I kno a guy who can modify your harness to plug and play with your car and the ecu for around 400 a pop...awesome low cost computer with big company features...and uses all oem sensors....no additional cost of buy ecu specific sensors.

you think you can post a screen shot of your ignition and fuel/rpm maps? im trying to teach my self how to tune.

i use AEM ems-4

if i knew about adaptronic i think i wouldnt have gotten the aem. such a headache.... but i got it to run.
FIDM fashion design
ITT tech electrical engineer
FJC Fullerton automotive program

R2D2 build log

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 am

Yeah once i get it finished up on the dyno i will post a shot of the fuel map

NostalgicHiro20v
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby NostalgicHiro20v » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 pm

gaijin_rokurunner wrote:Im running adaptronic e420d on my 5.5ag 20v....has a load of features and im running full sequential COP ignition and injection....also has a feature to manipulate each injector up and down if you have the capability to tune each cylinder like im doing on my engine..also its the only ecu on the market with duel vvt control....so not only will it control the 20v it can control both vvt cams on the 2zz and 3sg beam. Cost is about 1000 and is very simple to use...I also have base maps for it already saved using sequential ignition and also wasted spark....Andy at adaptronic is awesome with customer support also. I could possibly put a group buy together if there is interest and I kno a guy who can modify your harness to plug and play with your car and the ecu for around 400 a pop...awesome low cost computer with big company features...and uses all oem sensors....no additional cost of buy ecu specific sensors.

i was looking at E&E Freedom ECU. This seems like a better alternative. Is this an ECU that I would be able to have tuned locally by a tuner? Also,I heard of people eliminating their VVT. Did you keep yours & if so how well did this unit allow you to tune the VVT?

runkillerrabbit
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby runkillerrabbit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:05 am

isnt freedom japanese only? so local tune would be hard or impossible?
FIDM fashion design

R2D2 build log

Army Fork
Club4AG Expert

Postby Army Fork » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:20 am

If you have someone to guide you through the freedom software it's not supposed to be too bad. Besides, everyone knows a person that can read japanese, especially if you're on the west coast. Local tune might be a pain but I doubt it would be impossible
- Stance GR+ Coilovers
- Mishimoto Cooling
- T3 Short shift
- Manual rack conversion
- Blacktop electronics

runkillerrabbit
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby runkillerrabbit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 am

its already hard enough for me even when its in english... hahaha i dont know if can get over the language barrier hahah and im korean i can read and write. and i took japanese in college.
FIDM fashion design

R2D2 build log

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Freedom is ok for 10-15 year old technology and the fact that they never made the software or even considered it ( i emailed them abd asked and the response i got was two words Japanese only) turned me off. Plus the ecu is like te eprom setups with a chip connected to what looks like a factory ecu board which allows u to tune it. Very old technology and very over priced. The adaptronic has big name ecu features at affordable pricing and the fact that u dont have to spend hundreds more buying ecu specific sensors is a plus...1000 for the adaptronic ecu, a few hundred for custom wiring and your golden...im actually going to try and get jumper plugs made at a small cost so u can plug your harness right into it and it will plug right into the ecu.

I eliminate my VVT because my cams are way to high lift and duration for usage but the adaptronic has duel vvt control and u can control what rpm it goes on and off or it can be triggered according to certian variables. Im not familiar with using it because i eliminated mines so i can speak on it much but adaptronic has a forum that Andy the owner will answer any questions u have for free...will even help u trouble shoot one on one via email...super nice guy and the tech support for free is priceless...try calling AEM, haltec or Motec if u have questions bet u dont get a reply

Army Fork
Club4AG Expert

Postby Army Fork » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:12 pm

The adaptronic isn't cheap, but I can't find another 4 cyl ECU that has the same features. Think it's between this and the Omex, how do you run the igniter? Can you just use the crank sensor on the dizzy or do you need to run a hall sensor or the like?
- Stance GR+ Coilovers
- Mishimoto Cooling
- T3 Short shift
- Manual rack conversion
- Blacktop electronics

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:27 pm

1000 is cheaper then all the others on the market with the same features...i have my stock 20v dist wired as a CAS and running full sequential ignition with COPS no need for any custom trigger wheels and custom crap that kills your pocket

NostalgicHiro20v
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby NostalgicHiro20v » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Legit!! That helps out a ton in figuring out what I wanna run. Adaptronic seems super legit. Thanks man!!

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm

best thing i have base maps already made...wont get that from any of the other ecu sellers

NostalgicHiro20v
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby NostalgicHiro20v » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Are we talking about the same Adaptronic? Just wanna confirm

NostalgicHiro20v
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby NostalgicHiro20v » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Ooops, forggot to post the link. http://adaptronic.com.au/

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 pm

Yup same place all u need is the 420d and your set full standalone no piggy back

xb_release_2
Club4AG Regular

Postby xb_release_2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 am

@gaijin_rokurunner

Do you mind loading some pics of your spark tables and fuel tables?

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:20 am

yeah as soon as my engine is all done on they dyno i will take some screen shots of the mapping....keep in mind map variables are different between ecus so i dont recommend applying what u see on mines to other systems like haltech or aem's

choi0706
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby choi0706 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:33 am

I'm searching for a proefi128..