Diagnostic Codes from Silvertop Light Under Dash?

BlueAngel
Club4AG Regular

Diagnostic Codes from Silvertop Light Under Dash?

Postby BlueAngel » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:44 am

Hello 4AGE Family.
I need you guys help determining the codes on a silvertop.
the light under the dash (I believe is connected to the ECU) is coming on after several minutes driving.
It's not blinking, it just comes on, and stays on.
it started happening few days ago, but I don't sense anything different or any changes. it just worries me that the engine is trying to tell me something I cannot corrected. I would like the FX to leave me stranded while driving in the hwy.

does anyone knows, what this code may be?
any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your responses.
Have a great day!

Corey20v
Club4AG Regular

Re: Diagnostic Codes from Silvertop Light Under Dash?

Postby Corey20v » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:40 pm

Hello,
This list has approx 90% of the codes for a silvertop ecu, and i believe the correct pins to bridge on the diagnostics port.
https://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_pa ... 0Codes.htm

Just to note, you can wire 12+ -> CEL Bulb -> ECU "Warn" pin to flash the codes if you aren't certain the light you see is actually for the check engine light. The ECU pulls the floating warn pin to ground to turn the CEL ON
1986 SR5->20V ST (WIP!)
Other toys: 1993 S13 Coupe, 1993 NA6 Miata, 1996 Z32 300ZX

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:55 am

This is a swapped FX16?
Does the cluster have a CEL/Engine light?

I would trace the light to see what its connected to, since the wire harness doesn't have a separate light for the CEL, it gets connected to the cluster light. If your car was carb'ed before, then that makes sense as to why there's a separate light, so run the codes by either using the diagnostic port as mentioned above, by jumping TE1 & E1. If you don't have a diag. port, you'll need to jump them at the ecu. Once you have the codes, then we can figure out what the issue is. It goes by short & long flashes.
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:54 pm

BlueAngel wrote:the light under the dash (I believe is connected to the ECU) is coming on after
several minutes driving. It's not blinking, it just comes on, and stays on.

You really need to trace the wire and see where it goes. If it is spliced onto one of the wires
from the ECU, which wire is it spliced onto ?

I have heard that some people splice a light onto the VVT solenoid wire so that they can tell
when the VVT is active. And since I believe the VVT is not active until the engine warms up
that would fit with your experience. But it does not explain why it only started coming on
recently, so more investigation required :)

EDIT: Also the VVT on a silvertop is an on-off function so you would notice the light going on
or off (not blinking) according to how you were driving. The "normal" ECU output to the CEL
when in diagnostic mode is a regular single blink.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.