blue smoke

oldae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

blue smoke

Postby oldae82 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:01 pm

I have a 4ag I've recently put back together. I used Tomei 264.8.15 cams, intake and exhaust. I used weisco pistons, used, with rings, rods, and new rod bearings. The seller of the pistons was unsure of the compression ratio, thought it might be 10:1. He said the engine he'd installed them in spun a crank bearing and he lost enthusiasm for the project. He thought maybe 150 miles on the pistons, but I suspect more, looking at carbon. Pistons looked good, rings looked good, had sharp edges. All assembled and running. Engine is showing 215-220# compression without the butterfly open, warm engine, on all 4 cylinders. Engine shows 195-210# on cold compression test.

Problem is this. I was driving on the interstate at about 4k in 5th, went to slow down for traffic, downshifted, and was enveloped in a cloud of blue smoke. Further playing/testing on back roads shows blue noticeable smoke on hard acceleration. Engine sounds good, pulls hard to redline, and shows good compression. I am running 93 octane fuel. Any idea as to cause of this embarrassment?

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: blue smoke

Postby totta crolla » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:32 am

Check to see how much comes out of the engine breather when you rev it to approx 4k in neutral.
I would have fitted new rings and honed the bores (as a minimum) before installing the pistons.
Can we assume that this blue smoke comes from the exhaust?
Greta will pop by and spank your arse for driving this car about...

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: blue smoke

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:31 am

typically....... smoke on decel - valve seals. Smoke on accel... oil control rings.
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!