16v Head Gasket OEM vs TRD

AE86 J.Spec

16v Head Gasket OEM vs TRD

Postby AE86 J.Spec » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:45 pm

which is recommended for reliability, not concerned with performance.

i had a blown head gasket about 1 year ago. i did a quick replacement with a generic replacement head gasket (did not get head shaved and used old head bolts). now it's starting to leak again. will replace it again but wanted to ask if certain head gaskets were more reliable than others. also i will get head shaved a bit to make sure it sits perfect this time and will also use new head bolts too.

any other helpful advice is also welcome.

thank you

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: 16v Head Gasket OEM vs TRD

Postby allencr » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Whatever was done before, it isn't failing now because of the gasket manufacturer or old head bolts but from the head's straightness & surface condition & assembly prep and care.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/ic697.htm

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:51 am

Genuine Toyota head gaskets are expensive but there is no doubting their quality.
By all accounts TRD gaskets require both block and head are skimmed perfectly flat.
When you remove the old gasket the failure point should be obvious and it should be possible to work out if it is a gasket failure or not.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:36 pm

clean all the surfaces. this is the most important part and will also determine the longevity of any motor. clean, clean and clean again untill you will eat off of it. then clean it again. as stated above check the mating surfaces of the block and the head for truness with a straight edge.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:38 am

Also, the last place you wanna get any bits of ultra hard abrasive, carbon bits & smegma from cleaning, is into the rings!!!
Water jacket, so what.
Oil drain/s, damages the pump but the filter 'll catch it.
Oil port, NFG.
Bolt holes, NFG.