Have parts for 16v 4AGE, What do I do from here?

WarBeard

Have parts for 16v 4AGE, What do I do from here?

Postby WarBeard » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:52 pm

I recently crashed my Scion FR-S and had to buy a car to be able to go to school while it gets fixed. I purchased a '85 MR2 with a junk 4AGE that burns more money in motor oil than in gas. I also bought what I hope is all the parts to build a new 4AGE 16v, the head has been machined too. The problem is the most work I've ever done on an engine is changing a drive belt. I cannot afford to pay someone to build it and I cant afford to burn all of this oil. Help me Gods of the 4AGE!!! How does a man build this engine?!?!

ae86xy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Have parts for 16v 4AGE, What do I do from here?

Postby ae86xy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:01 am

Go get a factory manual book not Haynes or better yet download the fsm thru here or hr.net everything you need is all there good luck.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Manual is in my sig.
Take your time, measure a million times before you cut, etc.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:34 am

im sorry but i have a feeling that assembling this motor is out of your capability range. IF changing a belt is the limit of your experience, then you either need to read up and study if youre going to tackle this, or buy something that doesnt need a new motor. im not saying its impossible, but you will most likely need to invest in tools, buy more parts than you anticipated, and probably have to do things more than once. while building a motor is a good learning task, its not an introductory one when learning how to work on cars.

if youre going to take the plunge, listen to MisterJerk, and post up if theres problems...but read up first. research and preparation is key
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 am

this......

morgan wrote:im sorry but i have a feeling that assembling this motor is out of your capability range. IF changing a belt is the limit of your experience, then you either need to read up and study if youre going to tackle this, or buy something that doesnt need a new motor. im not saying its impossible, but you will most likely need to invest in tools, buy more parts than you anticipated, and probably have to do things more than once. while building a motor is a good learning task, its not an introductory one when learning how to work on cars.

if youre going to take the plunge, listen to MisterJerk, and post up if theres problems...but read up first. research and preparation is key

To the OP... is it being burned, or leaking?? You MIGHT be able (skill level) to replace the cam seals and front crank seal, along with valve cover gaskets.... that might lower your oil usage
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:58 am

Also keep in mind this will require engine removal. Do you have the space and equipment to do this? Posting your location may be helpful is someone local to you could come lend a hand.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

WarBeard

Postby WarBeard » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:27 pm

I live in johnstown colorado and my local church has a small garage with engine stand, lifts various tools etc. But i did find a local shop to build the block up at a price i could live with but its up to me to mount the head, cams, pulleys, oil sump, v-tis, etc and time the engine.

Funny thing happened tonight, the bad engine in my MR2 caught fire, and after dealing with the fire department on some dirt road i was driving to get to school, I was able to start my engine and go home...god i love old toyota cars.

Thank you for your help thus far the cylinders needed boring and the crankshaft polishing. Thus the pistons i had wouldnt have made a good fit and i'd have a second bad engine to deal with. I might have tried too lol. Ill post once the blocks out of the shop next week. Also which manual can i use to time the engine?

To the OP... is it being burned, or leaking?? You MIGHT be able (skill level) to replace the cam seals and front crank seal, along with valve cover gaskets.... that might lower your oil usage[/quote]

It does both. Im putting a liquid sealer in with the oil to slow the burn but piston rings the head gasket and just about every other seal in the engine leaks

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:42 pm

WarBeard wrote:I live in johnstown colorado and my local church has a small garage with engine stand, lifts various tools etc. But i did find a local shop to build the block up at a price i could live with but its up to me to mount the head, cams, pulleys, oil sump, v-tis, etc and time the engine.

Funny thing happened tonight, the bad engine in my MR2 caught fire, and after dealing with the fire department on some dirt road i was driving to get to school, I was able to start my engine and go home...god i love old toyota cars.

Thank you for your help thus far the cylinders needed boring and the crankshaft polishing. Thus the pistons i had wouldnt have made a good fit and i'd have a second bad engine to deal with. I might have tried too lol. Ill post once the blocks out of the shop next week. Also which manual can i use to time the engine?

To the OP... is it being burned, or leaking?? You MIGHT be able (skill level) to replace the cam seals and front crank seal, along with valve cover gaskets.... that might lower your oil usage

It does both. Im putting a liquid sealer in with the oil to slow the burn but piston rings the head gasket and just about every other seal in the engine leaks

Hey, another fellow Coloradan. Not many on the boards that I know of. Still nowhere close to me though hehe.

If you need any more parts for your build let me know. I can get most anything you could need.
http://matrixgarage.com/store

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:58 am

WarBeard wrote:

Doh! Way to not get discouraged. make sure your wiring and stuff didnt get fubar'd.

WarBeard wrote:Thank you for your help thus far the cylinders needed boring and the crankshaft polishing. Thus the pistons i had wouldnt have made a good fit and i'd have a second bad engine to deal with. I might have tried too lol. Ill post once the blocks out of the shop next week. Also which manual can i use to time the engine?

Download the 4age engine manual. Outlines everything.

at this point, deciding on whether the price justifies the rebuild, or buying one already rebuilt or used, or even JDM used.
Good luck! and try not to get discouraged.

WarBeard

Postby WarBeard » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:28 am

MisterJerk wrote:
Download the 4age engine manual. Outlines everything.

at this point, deciding on whether the price justifies the rebuild, or buying one already rebuilt or used, or even JDM used.
Good luck! and try not to get discouraged.

Good point....

WarBeard

Postby WarBeard » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:38 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
Hey, another fellow Coloradan. Not many on the boards that I know of. Still nowhere close to me though hehe.

If you need any more parts for your build let me know. I can get most anything you could need.
http://matrixgarage.com/store

This "http://matrixgarage.com/store".... :cry: ...it's just so beautiful.

I will eventually need to get a new clutch. the one in it right now..."works"

WarBeard

Postby WarBeard » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Well I have to Block done and on a stand. Tried to put a new oil pump on but the screws that I had can't handle the 16 ft-lb torque spec so I guess I'll be going to some random parts store to get tougher screws. Broke a screw in the block and almost lost my mind but i was able to get it out. Right now I'm just cleaning parts.

What is the best way to remove an old gasket/seal/thingy from the components? its hard and brittle but stuck to the metal like glue.

It's been a long day...time to drink...

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:29 am

WarBeard wrote:Well I have to Block done and on a stand. Tried to put a new oil pump on but the screws that I had can't handle the 16 ft-lb torque spec so I guess I'll be going to some random parts store to get tougher screws. Broke a screw in the block and almost lost my mind but i was able to get it out. Right now I'm just cleaning parts.

What is the best way to remove an old gasket/seal/thingy from the components? its hard and brittle but stuck to the metal like glue.

It's been a long day...time to drink...

Those bolts shouldn't have broken..... since you have another engine... you might try to use the second engine as a donor for hardware.... just a thought.

There is no best way.... all of them are a PITA... but I prefer a single edge razor blade used with care

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 am

WarBeard wrote:Well I have to Block done and on a stand. Tried to put a new oil pump on but the screws that I had can't handle the 16 ft-lb torque spec so I guess I'll be going to some random parts store to get tougher screws.

OST is right. The screws will not break unless they are already stretched or damaged.

One thing though. Make sure you are using a small enough torque wrench with the setting well enough in the middle of it's range.
My torque wrench that maxes out at 200 ft lbs technically starts at ten but it will snap 6mm and 1/4" bolts all day long at their proper setting.

WarBeard

Postby WarBeard » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:25 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
WarBeard wrote:Well I have to Block done and on a stand. Tried to put a new oil pump on but the screws that I had can't handle the 16 ft-lb torque spec so I guess I'll be going to some random parts store to get tougher screws.

OST is right. The screws will not break unless they are already stretched or damaged.

One thing though. Make sure you are using a small enough torque wrench with the setting well enough in the middle of it's range.
My torque wrench that maxes out at 200 ft lbs technically starts at ten but it will snap 6mm and 1/4" bolts all day long at their proper setting.

good to know the wrench in the shop is one beefy MF'er. the ones i bought did 16 ft lbs...could have saved 10 bucks though...

well today i put on the rear oil retainer, the flatter oil thing that's not the oil pan, the funky looking oil tube dome funnel thingy and the oil pan...but wait there's more.

after i put all of those on with the gaskets and sealer and whatnot some of the screws didn't go in. the two on the rear oil retainer and two of them on the other side of the pan almost right before it gets to the oil pump side. right across from each other too. its symmetrical so I'm not sure if the screw holes just suck there by coincidence or there is something i messed up.

if i get everything set on the oil pan tomorrow i'm going to start working with the top half so if you guys have any advice on head gaskets, head bolts and whatnot let me know. thank you again for your help. aaaand i need some scotch.

WarBeard

Postby WarBeard » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:21 am

Also if there is a good thread on engine removal or a source i could look up please let me know. I saw a few vids on youtube ut im not sure thats enough to jump in and drop the engine out of my car.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:00 am

WarBeard wrote:Also if there is a good thread on engine removal or a source i could look up please let me know. I saw a few vids on youtube ut im not sure thats enough to jump in and drop the engine out of my car.

not likely here... mr2oc.com, or mr2.com likely have what you are after

WarBeard

Postby WarBeard » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:01 pm

so I'm moments away from dropping the engine with a few complications with the axle...tough as nails bolts and nuts, tried a impacter didn't work. I went to finish the engine but it came to a standstill because the next step is installing the head bolts...the shop gave me head bolts for a freaking boxer engine...even if i still had my FR-S its for an ej25 engine lol. lesson learned check the stuff they ordered before you leave the shop. oh well, that took a few days from me going to school and given its finals week I'm probably going to fail those classes anyways with all the time I've missed....all things considered, when everything is said and done, and my cars are fixed, I can just hop in one and have the time of my life. If anyone wants a repaired FR-S for 17k let me know.

insane
Club4AG Regular

Postby insane » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:06 am

WarBeard wrote:so I'm moments away from dropping the engine with a few complications with the axle...tough as nails bolts and nuts, tried a impacter didn't work. I went to finish the engine but it came to a standstill because the next step is installing the head bolts...the shop gave me head bolts for a freaking boxer engine...even if i still had my FR-S its for an ej25 engine lol. lesson learned check the stuff they ordered before you leave the shop. oh well, that took a few days from me going to school and given its finals week I'm probably going to fail those classes anyways with all the time I've missed....all things considered, when everything is said and done, and my cars are fixed, I can just hop in one and have the time of my life. If anyone wants a repaired FR-S for 17k let me know.

Hello WarBeard.

I have a 1986 mr2 with 109,xxx miles on it. It is wrecked and I bought it to put the engine in my AE86, the mr2 has a good interior except for the driver side kick panel and I think the transmission is also good. I live in Farmington NM. You can have the car or any parts off of it for free.

When I pulled the engine out of the top of the car, I spun the passenger side rear wheel and the driver side wheel rotated in the opposite direction. I know nothing more than that about the transmission.

I am offering this stuff because I would use it myself but I don't have any use for it, I don't drive an mr2 and I really don't want to just throw it away.

WarBeard

Postby WarBeard » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Sorry I've been away. the engine is in the car. must have thrown my back out at least 10 times on this project but its coming to a close. I wish i could post pics on here but im not sure how. the car is one ugly mug but for me its the most beautiful thing in the world. by Monday i hope to have it running. Insane, if i find myself in NM ill hit you up im setting my break in point at 1000 miles so i may swing your way. thank you to everyone that helped me in this build. i feel like i just gained a whole world of knowledge on cars. now i feel the need to carb it.

well come to think of it, i have tons of extra parts now...anybody want them. I'm willing to sell them for cheap as hell so let me know. if i wasn't so strapped for cashed I'd just give them way but i cant lol.

WarBeard

Postby WarBeard » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:31 am

Its allllliiiiivve!!!!!! It works!! I was so scared it would just blow up in my face. All the coolant hoses suck at doing thier job but other than that its runs. Oh ya it used to have a jumpy idle before i swapped the engine but now its waaaay more jumpy. Just wondering if anyone knows what it may be or how to fix it?