Blacktop issues, misfire when warm

BryceWSJ
Club4AG Enthusiast

Blacktop issues, misfire when warm

Postby BryceWSJ » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:34 am

So it began with.. when i let off the throttle slowly, it will kind of do a hiccup, almost like the ignition cut out for a split second. Never really been a problem, just annoying because the car kind of jerks.

it progressively got worse to the point where when i put back on the throttle, there is no spark what so ever, and them BOOM out the exhaust comes this explosion and it's back to running fine. This will happen on the freeway, on the street, anywhere you can imagine.

Now, it'll just die, completely. as if i just turned off the key. it'll start right back up and be fine. i have no issues revving all the way to the redline. just recently it started missing as i was accelerating.

I've changed the ignitor and coil, same results, almost instantly. I'm thinking it's the distributor, more specifically the crank sensor inside the distributor. Everyone once in a while i'll start missing, just randomly. it'll stay running, but you can feel it, and then i'll pick back up again and be fine.

I do have COP conversion with honda coils, so i know it's not my rotor or wires or anything, because i don't have them. It's almost like the crank angle sensor isn't reading correctly and causes the ignition to start missing. I do plan to replace the distributor this weekend, but i wanted to find out if anyone else has ever had this problem.

Also, the ECU is throwing codes 12, 13, and 14. Ignition and RPM signals.

jondee86

Re: Blacktop issues, misfire when warm

Postby jondee86 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Check the wires from the distributor to the ECU. Make sure they are not damaged,
pinched, burned, rubbed bare on a sharp edge, bad crimp connector etc. The pickups
inside the distributor are pretty robust, so unless they are loose and moving around,
they don't usually give problems.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

BryceWSJ
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BryceWSJ » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 pm

I replaced the distributor. Made no difference. This only happens when it gets hot. I did some more tinkering and in thinking the honda coils are over heating. I took off the spark plug cover and the idle became a bit more stable.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Could be the answer. I don't think COP igniters are covered in OEM installations,
and heat is definitely something that kills them. Then, if you are batch firing the
COP's, they are firing four times as often as they do in an OEM sequential firing
setup... so they will get hot. Maybe leaving the valley cover off is all it takes to
solve your problem :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.