Questions on this ae92 4age

TE724AGE
Club4AG Regular

Questions on this ae92 4age

Postby TE724AGE » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:07 pm

So I bought a 89 toyota corolla ae92 just for the motor as I was looking to do a RWD swap in my 80 TE72 corolla. I'm pretty sure it is a smallport with a 3 rib block. I haven't gotten the chance to really look at te at due to work but I took a glance. What would this motor be considered? (Red top or blue top) and would this be a good motor to invest some performance parts into?

Thank you for reading and feel free to state your opinions!

jondee86

Re: Questions on this ae92 4age

Postby jondee86 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:29 pm

If you are lucky it should have one of these (smallport)...
Ewww... big pic (right click and view image) :?

But if you luck out it might have one of these (bigport)...

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:34 pm

It's reasons like this that trying to use top colors is useless. Don't worry about that.

As you described it by the head and the block is a much better way than top color. Now just figure out what internals you have?
Are you sure it's a smallport? If so it won't have a TVIS mani.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:35 pm

jondee86 wrote:If you are lucky it should have one of these (smallport)

But if you luck out it might have one of these (bigport)

Win win
But the SP is luckier :D

TE724AGE
Club4AG Regular

Postby TE724AGE » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:15 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:It's reasons like this that trying to use top colors is useless. Don't worry about that.

As you described it by the head and the block is a much better way than top color. Now just figure out what internals you have?
Are you sure it's a smallport? If so it won't have a TVIS mani.

It doesn't have the TVIS intake on it and I'm not sure about internals at all yet.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:56 am

TE724AGE wrote:So I bought a 89 toyota corolla ae92 just for the motor

I'm pretty sure it is a smallport with a 3 rib block.

would this be a good motor to invest some performance parts into?

Thank you for reading and feel free to state your opinions!

Welcome... hmmmm, smallport and 3 rib would not be stock. If it is a 3 rib block and a smallport head it could have ANYTHING inside......

4AGE engines are a decent 4 cylinder to build....
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Evo_lucian
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Evo_lucian » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:52 am

No tvis = smallport 4age. How much you looking to sell the ae92 gearbox . PM me or email at nervedog@hotmail.com

TE724AGE
Club4AG Regular

Postby TE724AGE » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Welcome... hmmmm, smallport and 3 rib would not be stock. If it is a 3 rib block and a smallport head it could have ANYTHING inside......

4AGE engines are a decent 4 cylinder to build....[/quote]

Hmm interesting.. Do you think this would be a good base motor to start a street/drift motor?

TE724AGE
Club4AG Regular

Postby TE724AGE » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:52 pm

Evo_lucian wrote:No tvis = smallport 4age. How much you looking to sell the ae92 gearbox . PM me or email at nervedog@hotmail.com

I emailed you about the gearbox.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:01 am

TE724AGE wrote:

Hmm interesting.. Do you think this would be a good base motor to start a street/drift motor?

I think it's a great motor to do just about anything.
Tell us your power goals and budget.

TE724AGE
Club4AG Regular

Postby TE724AGE » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:19 am

Well I was looking to get around 160-180hp. I would consider going higher in horsepower but I wouldn't want the reliability of the motor to go down to much. I would like to try and keep the internals of the motor as stock as possible(well the bottom end for now) I don't mind cams and maybe some head work. Right now id say my budget is within $1500-$2000. Do you know what kinda horsepower the stock internals can withstand? This is my first time working with a 4age so I just need some help figuring out what to do to build a solid 4age.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:15 am

TE724AGE wrote:Well I was looking to get around 160-180hp. I would consider going higher in horsepower but I wouldn't want the reliability of the motor to go down to much. I would like to try and keep the internals of the motor as stock as possible(well the bottom end for now) I don't mind cams and maybe some head work. Right now id say my budget is within $1500-$2000. Do you know what kinda horsepower the stock internals can withstand? This is my first time working with a 4age so I just need some help figuring out what to do to build a solid 4age.

160-180hp @ the crank is about 140-150 at the wheels... It CAN be done with mostly stock parts... but requires careful machining, and port work... along with a few correctly chosen parts. It likely can not be done for $1500-$2000.

There are a few different sets of stock internals... some stouter then others.

There are 2 different cranks... one with 40mm rod journals, the other with 42mm rod journals. The 42mm rod journal crank is stronger then the one with 40mm rod journals....

rods... there are 3 stock rods that fit the 42mm rod journal crank, there is one stock rod for the 40mm rod journal crank. The 42mm rods uses a 20mm wrist pin, while the 40mm rod journal rod uses 18mm wrist pins.

Pistons - there are 3 types of n/a 16V pistons... 9.4 to 1, 10.0 to 1, and 10.3 to 1. Because of the difference in size of the rods (20mm or 18mm) the 9.4 to 1 pistons were available for 18mm and 20mm, the 10.0 to 1 pistons only come in 18mm, and the 10.3 to 1 pistons are only available in 20mm. There are 2 types of stock 20V pistons, one is 10.5 to 1, the other is 11 to 1 - they both use 20mm wrist pins.

camshafts.... keep them VERY mild (264 or smaller) unless you plan on substantially increasing the engines compression. The 4AGE wakes up with a compression bump as much... if not more from a 1 point bump in compression, then any cam install on stock 9.4 to 1 compression. Basic recommendations... 10.5 to 1+ for 256 cams, and over 11 to 1+ for 264 cams.... 272 cams should be higher still.

Head porting is a VERY good idea... but if you don't know what to port... or your skills are minimal... its best to leave the head alone. *IF* you have the money, the 4AG head can be street ported to produce an extra 10hp... maybe more.

Yes... I do 4AG head porting... a few recent photos...

OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

TE724AGE
Club4AG Regular

Postby TE724AGE » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:52 am

Wow never knew the 4age had so much different internals! That's great to know thank you for that! What do you think I would spend on getting it up 150whp? And what would you recommend doing to the motor to get it to 150whp? I wanna take the best route to have a strong solid motor that has some power. Yet again I have no idea what kind of internals are in my motor so I would assume it's going to be hard to determine what I need for the motor and how much I would spend. Let me know what it takes to build this motor the right way.

Evo_lucian
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Evo_lucian » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:50 pm

Why not do a cheap turbo set up? Can be done within your budget

TE724AGE
Club4AG Regular

Postby TE724AGE » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Evo_lucian wrote:Why not do a cheap turbo set up? Can be done within your budget

Really!? What would I need to do all that? I don't mind going per budget also.

Evo_lucian
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Evo_lucian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:05 am

You would need the following :
Turbo manifold
turbo
oil lines
downpipe
intercooler
intercooler piping
blow off valve

That's about it. Now as to how much it costs will depend on the parts you choose, new used etc. Finally you will need some form of fuel management. For a low boost you can suffice with a 10:1 FMU.

I recommend a turbo build over an NA build any day . You can put down 150-175 whp without breaking a sweat on most budget turbo builds , try that NA.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:08 am

TE724AGE wrote:Wow never knew the 4age had so much different internals! That's great to know thank you for that! What do you think I would spend on getting it up 150whp? And what would you recommend doing to the motor to get it to 150whp? I wanna take the best route to have a strong solid motor that has some power. Yet again I have no idea what kind of internals are in my motor so I would assume it's going to be hard to determine what I need for the motor and how much I would spend. Let me know what it takes to build this motor the right way.

How much depends on a number of things. You probably only need about $1500 or so in performance parts to get there but you will also want to rebuild the motor when you are in there and that adds some variables to the build. You will at least want to do bottom end bearings, bore or hone cyls, water pump, oil pump, timing belt, seals and gaskets, etc and surface the block and the head. Then if anything is out of spec you would need to address that. Some things that may or may not need to be done.
Valve seats, valves, valve guides, crank, etc.

Then of course it will also depend on how much of the work you can do yourself and how much you need to pay to have done.
I would say it could range anywhere from $2000 to $4000 depending on how much it needs and how much work you do yourself.

I do agree with Evolution on boost. It will likely cost you a little more up front but your potential to grow will also be much greater. One thing that makes it pretty relative is the fact that with the above you have a fully rebuilt motor.
You could probably do a most basic turbo build for somewhere between $1500 and $3000 but you would be running on the old motor. If it's healthy then that's not a bad thing. You can drive it for a while and get used to it. If it fails down the road or if you decide you want more power than the stock pistons can handle you can address that down the road. You could even start building a new motor while the old one is still drivable.
It would be good to find out what your compression is since that will impact how much boost you will be able to run.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:13 am

As far as your goals are concerned. These are by far my biggest selling cams. In fact probably one of the biggest selling items on my website and all people I have talked to are stoked with them.
http://matrixgarage.com/?q=products/tom ... 64-81mm-ex

This is one of my customers builds running the above cams and a custom set of 11:1 pistons I designed
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=468649

This is an AW11. RWD platform would get a little less at the wheels.

His biggest handicaps are that he only has easy access to 91 oct and he also removed his EGR which we suspect may contribute to some mid RPM knock he has had to tune out.

If you are considering turbo you might find this useful.
http://matrixgarage.com/content/yoshimi ... oing-4a-ge

stevenjan

Postby stevenjan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Can I interrupt? Have the same engine (4age 16v TVIS red/black top).. I am asking what is the part number of ECU you are using? I have a burnt ECU and I cant see the part number. What is the OEM ECU number of FWD 4age 16v TVIS red/black top?

Thank you for your help.

Jeff Lange
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jeff Lange » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:01 pm

stevenjan wrote:Can I interrupt? Have the same engine (4age 16v TVIS red/black top).. I am asking what is the part number of ECU you are using? I have a burnt ECU and I cant see the part number. What is the OEM ECU number of FWD 4age 16v TVIS red/black top?

Thank you for your help.

What country is your car from? I can tell you the part number with some more information about your car.

Jeff

apsogosGTi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby apsogosGTi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:10 am

Evo_lucian wrote:You would need the following :
Turbo manifold
turbo
oil lines
downpipe
intercooler
intercooler piping
blow off valve

That's about it. Now as to how much it costs will depend on the parts you choose, new used etc. Finally you will need some form of fuel management. For a low boost you can suffice with a 10:1 FMU.

I recommend a turbo build over an NA build any day . You can put down 150-175 whp without breaking a sweat on most budget turbo builds , try that NA.

hello thats the parts needed for turbo the 4age 16v?what about ecu ?can be done with oem ecu?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:20 pm

apsogosGTi wrote:
hello thats the parts needed for turbo the 4age 16v?what about ecu ?can be done with oem ecu?

You could easily hit 150+ WHP turbo on the stock ECU. Much more than that and you will probably want to move to proper engine management.

http://www.matrixgarage.com/content/yos ... oing-4a-ge

apsogosGTi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby apsogosGTi » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:02 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
apsogosGTi wrote:

You could easily hit 150+ WHP turbo on the stock ECU. Much more than that and you will probably want to move to proper engine management.

http://www.matrixgarage.com/content/yos ... oing-4a-ge

if you install the lines. the turbine and intercooler , what should be done for the engine to work well with the turbo setup ?

Bakihanm2

Postby Bakihanm2 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Hey I am new to this club And I just recently bought an 89 corolla gts/ ae92. Just be reading this forum I guess I have a big port. I was wandering if anyone can help me real quick. Is there a repair manual specifically for my year and model? Most book I found have the sedan with the 4afe mix with the 4age. Thanks for you guys can help. I really enjoy this cAr and rebuild every internal detail.